• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Death of Manual Transmission ETA????

deadheadskier

Staff member
When do you anticipate this happening? Sure seems to me that manual transmissions will eventually be a thing of the past. I think it's sad.

The inspiration for this thread was today's release of the 2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo. Very impressive numbers on this car. 274 horsepower, 269 lbs of torque, 34 MPG on the Highway. For reference, I drive a 2007 Sonata with a V6 that has 235 horsepower, 226 lbs of torque and I get 29ish MPG on the Highway. Pretty substantial improvement and I might be wrong, but I don't think there's a sedan on the market today that produces as much power with as good of gas mileage as the 2011 Sonata Turbo.

I was disappointed to read there will be no manual transmission offered in the Turbo. Not surprised as there was no manual offered in the V6. I bought it over a manual 4cyl due to some features I wanted that were only available in V6. That said, it bummed me out when I bought my car that I couldn't get a manual transmission.

Today's release led me to do some research. There are hardly any medium-large sized sedans being offered today with an available manual transmission. I thought this was specific to American and Asian cars, but even German automakers appear to be phasing out manuals. Even Audi got rid of the manual transmission in the A6 following 2004. The current S6, which is a 'sports sedan' is only available in an automatic. :blink:

I didn't check Mercedes, but it would appear that the only option out there for a mid-large size sedan is a BMW 5 series. WAY, WAY above my pay grade.

As hard as it is to say without getting laughed at as a Hyundai owner, I'm a bit of driving enthusiast. :lol: I LOVE driving my wife's manual Mazda3 Hatchback. That said, we want to have at least one larger car for multiple people transport.

Anyone else think it's totally lame that there are so few cars being offered today with manual transmissions?

Euler

I agree. When we bought our 2009 Forester one big reason why we picked it over the RAV4 and the CRV was that those two vehicles were not offered in a manual transmission. My wife and I both love to drive a stick shift, so choosing the Forester was easy.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Yes. But I don't think its the death of the manual transmission...like you said its more in the mid-full-sized classes. And, its just a reaction to the American market. Fat and lazy. I am most likely going suby for my next vehicle as you can still get them in sticks.

bvibert

Staff member
Anyone else think it's totally lame that there are so few cars being offered today with manual transmissions?

It's wicked lame, and pisses me off. What's worse is the people that try to tell me that automatics with the manual selection mode (tiptronics and the like) are just as good as driving a stick shift. :smash:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yes. But I don't think its the death of the manual transmission...like you said its more in the mid-full-sized classes. And, its just a reaction to the American market. Fat and lazy. I am most likely going suby for my next vehicle as you can still get them in sticks.

and therein lies the rub. Only Subaru I've ever driven regularly, a 2004 Legacy Wagon, was easily the biggest piece of crap I've ever had to suffer through. So, so bad, that it would take an act of god for me to ever consider the manufacturer again. :lol:

Do the higher end model Suby's still offer a manual? Almost all other Asian manufacturers do offer a manual, but only in the bottom of the barrel entry models.

wa-loaf

Totally sucks. Seems like there might be a market soon taking european manuals and converting them for the us market.

Side note: My wife insisted on driving a manual. One of the reasons I fell for her in the first place. No one I've dated so far can even drive a stick. Still looking for a hot, skiing, stick shift driver ...

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's wicked lame, and pisses me off. What's worse is the people that try to tell me that automatics with the manual selection mode (tiptronics and the like) are just as good as driving a stick shift. :smash:

I've had that option on the 2000 Audi automatic A6 I drove for a year and I have it on my Hyundai.........think it's totally lame and don't use it.

I haven't tried the new 'paddle shifters', but would imagine they're equally as lame.

roark

No offense, as a Hyundai owner (for the next couple days anyway, the econobox is already sold ;) but I don't see the new Sonata (certainly a nice car, and bang for the buck a solid buy) only being offered in an auto as any nail in the coffin. Hyundai still isn't a market maker. Driving enthusiasts still prefer manual - the difference is it will only be available in driving enthusiast autos. The family sedan doesn't fit that category.

Euler

Do the higher end model Suby's still offer a manual? Almost all other Asian manufacturers do offer a manual, but only in the bottom of the barrel entry models.

I'm pretty sure that when I was shopping for my Forester the higher end Turbo model was not available in a stick.:cry:

wa-loaf

The Tribecca does not. I don't think any of the six cylinders come in a stick either.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Side note: My wife insisted on driving a manual. One of the reasons I fell for her in the first place.

totally hot

my wife insists on it as well. Hence why she drives the Mazda3 and I'm regulated to being the big car driver in the house.

Seems the only big car left out there that's fun to drive is the 5 series beamer, which I'll never be able to afford.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm pretty sure that when I was shopping for my Forester the higher end Turbo model was not available in a stick.:cry:

that's my point. Only entry level el cheapo Asian cars are now available in a stick........LAME

I blame campgottagopee :razz:

deadheadskier

Staff member
No offense, as a Hyundai owner (for the next couple days anyway, the econobox is already sold ;) but I don't see the new Sonata (certainly a nice car, and bang for the buck a solid buy) only being offered in an auto as any nail in the coffin. Hyundai still isn't a market maker. Driving enthusiasts still prefer manual - the difference is it will only be available in driving enthusiast autos. The family sedan doesn't fit that category.

oh, I know Hyundai is not a market maker. Though their power/mpg ratio on the Sonata does set the market

perhaps I hope for a bit too much. A family sedan that dad can have a bit of fun with as well.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
that's my point. Only entry level el cheapo Asian cars are now available in a stick........LAME

I blame campgottagopee :razz:

Also, many sports cars and sports sedans still can be had with 3 pedals. It's really just boring cars that are all slush boxes now.... and I don't plan on, God willing and the creek don't rise, owning a boring car in the near future. Only slightly used exciting cars.

Don't let the US-centric view fool you though. Across the pond, manny tranny's are the norm, and I don't mean the kind Paul hooked up with in Amsterdam.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Also, many sports cars and sports sedans still can be had with 3 pedals. It's really just boring cars that are all slush boxes now.... and I don't plan on, God willing and the creek don't rise, owning a boring car in the near future. Only slightly used exciting cars.

Don't let the US-centric view fool you though. Across the pond, manny tranny's are the norm, and I don't mean the kind Paul hooked up with in Amsterdam.

Um...EEEwww!!!:puke::puke:

Glenn

And, its just a reaction to the American market. Fat and lazy. I am most likely going suby for my next vehicle as you can still get them in sticks.

Sorta. Since the late 90's, Europe has seen a bit of a decline in manual trans use. From what gather, (and it's pretty unscientific), it a has a lot to do with "traffic". There's nothing worse than crawling along the highway, at 7mph, then stopping....7mph....stopping. I drove a standard for years and that was always a pain in the ass. Luckily, it didn't happen often and the other 99% of the driving I did kinda blanked out the negative.

I do like the control you get with a manual. I taught my wife to drive my former car years ago...just so she'd know how. You never know. I think a few things stuck with her though. Whenever she drives her car in snow, she often uses the tiptronic to downshift when going down hills or slowing down.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Quoted for truth. Stick is not going any where. It probably is just not profitable putting them in a limited number of "family cars".

And the notion that there are fewer sticks is because Americans are "fat and lazy" is offensive speaking from the perspective of an auto drive. I suppose markski still washes his clothes by hand in a bucket.

:lol: :spin: Uh oh... *Runs and ducks head*

Seriously though, if I grew up here in NH, I would have learned to drive stick. Down in MA, I never had any desire to learn stick in traffic jam central where there is a light every mile. That may be lazy of me but I just saw it as not being worth the hassle.

Any ways, stick will always be in cars as they are designed in their present form. They offer too much added performance and value for those that enjoy its characteristics. Even if certain manufacturers eliminated sticks... that would create a market to meet the demand and another manufacturer would step up. Most car reviews seem to be written by those that prefer stick and of course there is a huge market of enthuists and performance hungry drivers. That demand will always be there. It just isn't a big market in larger and family cars.

MommaBear

After driving a station wagon and then minivan for many years, I begged for something with a stick shift and a sunroof. Call it midlife crisis or whatever.

When my oldest started driving our automatic, we wanted to teach him to drive manual incase he was ever in the situation where he needed to know that (like if a friend gets drunk and safety requires HIM to drive their car). He wanted no part of it until recently - said it looked like too much work. He asked WHY I would want to drive manual. He finally came around and tried it. Now he knows why. And is looking for manual himself when he gets his own car. ;-)