• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Help choosing a ride?

planb420

I have been zooming around the mountain on my snowboard all season long and now that the season is coming to a close I began to wonder what is next for me as I LOVE THE SNOW and always hate to see it go.:oops: Then a few fellow AZers suggested mountain biking, of couse the first thing that came to mind is "yeah sounds fun maybe I will just head up to the local walmart and pick one up to ride"......I was quickly told that would be a BIG mistake! I am a total newb when it comes to REAL MTN biking but loved riding my bike all over the place a few years back and would love to get into some more intense trail riding and such. I am looking for any suggestions anyone might have for a good starter bike that is not too stock but also not too over the top as I am pretty rough on equipment and dont want it to be too cheap but also not too expensive.....here is a breakdown of you may need to know to make any suggestions:

-I am 5'7" and about 160 lbs (give or take)
-want to spend prob no more than 600 but prob around 400-500
-I want to be able to ride trails as well as some road riding (Kinda want something to slay it all)
-Are disc brakes the best way to go? (I love goin fast...but wanna be able to stop when in trouble LOL)
-Single, Dual, or No suspension...(assuming no suspension is a no go :))
-New or Used/Craigslist (Sketchy on used unless I got it from someone I could trust since I would not know what to look for, but would buy from a fellow AZer should they have a spare?)

I really know NOTHING in detail about this sport other than hang on and pedal so any info or heads up on a good place to snap up a bike would be super appreciated...I'm a blank slate looking for help to find a way to enjoy my summer months on the mountains as well.

Thanks in advance AZ

MR. evil

It's not an awful bike, but might only last a season of real trail riding. I would try and up your budget to around $700 to $800 if you want to buy from a bike shop. IMO that's the price point of a good upper end entry level bike that will last. If you buy online from a company like IBEX or BikesDirect you can get as much bike as an $800 bike from a shop. You just take a gamble on sizing.

Tell you what, I have two bikes. You are more than welcome to join me on an easy ride sometime to see if you really like MTBg. Once you really know what it's like it may be easier to spend a little more. Or you may hate it and you just saved yourself $500.

powhunter

It's not an awful bike, but might only last a season of real trail riding. I would try and up your budget to around $700 to $800 if you want to buy from a bike shop. IMO that's the price point of a good upper end entry level bike that will last. If you buy online from a company like IBEX or BikesDirect you can get as much bike as an $800 bike from a shop. You just take a gamble on sizing.

Tell you what, I have two bikes. You are more than welcome to join me on an easy ride sometime to see if you really like MTBg. Once you really know what it's like it may be easier to spend a little more. Or you may hate it and you just saved yourself $500.

Jonnypoach is still riding his POS bike he got from the dump, he never did anything to that trek hardtail greg gave him..Let me see if hes gonna do anything with it..I think it needs a little work

steveo

planb420

LOVE the idea, we just gotta get a when and where all setup, I live in New Hartford, CT and have Wed and Thurs off, when I'm working I work nights leaving for work around 2 or 3pm. So hopefully we can work something out...

Jonnypoach is still riding his POS bike he got from the dump, he never did anything to that trek hardtail greg gave him..Let me see if hes gonna do anything with it..I think it needs a little work

steveo

Not afraid of a lil work, just might need the info on how to do it or whats needed, but that could be a way to go.

These are exactally the kind of posts I was looking for....AZ is a great community:razz: and I am STOKED to be a part of it.....keep it comin cuz the tax refund is getting back soon and will be burning a hole in my pocket!!!!:beer:

bvibert

Staff member

I agree with pretty much everything said here.

On the bike posted above I wouldn't expect too much good out of that fork in particular. The rest of the bike would probably be okay.

o3jeff

I have a 200?(come on Bvibert help me out) Specialized Rockhopper I'm looking to sell since I don't ride it any more. It's nothing special, but will at least get on something to see if you want to spend the more money on something better.

MR. evil

Trails still need a couple of weeks to dry out. But once they do we can hook up for a ride. I live in W Mass but ride in CT allot. The West Hartford Rez would be a good spot once it dries or Penwood in Simsbury which dries really quick. We could also do Nass as it has some good easier loops.

The bike I was thinking you could use is my HT, but it only has 9 gears and may be hard for you on the climbs. I have no problem letting you ride my FS rig, but that may be very bad for your wallet :)

bvibert

Staff member

MR. evil

I just saw that your only 5'-7" tall. My FS rig will be too big for you, but you might be able to ride my HT as it has really low stand over.

planb420

I have a 200?(come on Bvibert help me out) Specialized Rockhopper I'm looking to sell since I don't ride it any more. It's nothing special, but will at least get on something to see if you want to spend the more money on something better.

How much? If this is a good fit for me it may be the answer to my no bike problem....

planb420

Trails still need a couple of weeks to dry out. But once they do we can hook up for a ride. I live in W Mass but ride in CT allot. The West Hartford Rez would be a good spot once it dries or Penwood in Simsbury which dries really quick. We could also do Nass as it has some good easier loops.

The bike I was thinking you could use is my HT, but it only has 9 gears and may be hard for you on the climbs. I have no problem letting you ride my FS rig, but that may be very bad for your wallet :)

I'm down for a ride wherever you feel is best I have no problems driving to ride! As far as it only having 9 gears I should be ok I feel Im pretty fit from 50+ days of snowboarding this season and tons of longboarding this last summer (9+ Mile rides)

o3jeff

It's a 17" frame and I'm 5-8 so it should fit you. It was my back up bike and the deraileurs and brakes were adjusted last season. The bike has 100-150 miles on it and does need a new seat, my ass bent the rails a little. $150 or bo.

gmcunni

It's a 17" frame and I'm 5-8 so it should fit you. It was my back up bike and the deraileurs and brakes were adjusted last season. The bike has 100-150 miles on it and does need a new seat, my ass bent the rails a little. $150 or bo.

wish i'd done something like this rather than buy brand new for my first bike.

planb420

could you part with it for around 100, that way I can get it tuned, get a full face helmet, ect...? I assume that its not too beat up and can take some more abuse from a totally new rider?

Last edited:

o3jeff

The shop went over it last summer(probably 20 miles on it since) when my other bike had warranty issues. $125

planb420

Sure I should be getting my taxes back this FRI so it would be perfect and I WILL be at sundown Sat...I will keep you updated on wether or not the money gets deposited in time.....This make me feel a bit better about the upcomming rains/warm weather....