• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

GoPro Question?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It's been my first full year owning a GoPro. I've taken a look back at my videos, and have looked at other people's. I see that my footage is "bouncier" and choppier than others. This is because my head moves too much. So, should I keep my head straight and rigid? Or keep my neck soft and move with the undulating terrain? All answers appreciated.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Are you taking just sections of your video? Normally when I shoot I only take bits and pieces of what I have shot and use it together instead of the whole thing.

Also - here's an important one - what field of view are you using? The widest angle (I think 170 degrees) is significantly less bouncy than narrower FOV. It's like a zoom lens - the more you zoom in the more your minor movements are amplified.

Huck_It_Baby

Did you glue a mount to your helmet or are you using the head strap? I've always found the head mount to be fairly stable...been using a GoPro for 3-4 seasons.

Don't worry about your head and neck while rolling the video. Focus on skiing. There is nothing you are going to be able to improve on by keeping your neck more rigid.

Did you find your shots are bouncier than other GoPro videos you have seen? Post an example we could take a look at...?

WWF-VT

I think you should go to a qualified boot fitter and get a set of GoPro Stabilizer custom footbeds

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Did you glue a mount to your helmet or are you using the head strap? I've always found the head mount to be fairly stable...been using a GoPro for 3-4 seasons.

Don't worry about your head and neck while rolling the video. Focus on skiing. There is nothing you are going to be able to improve on by keeping your neck more rigid.

Did you find your shots are bouncier than other GoPro videos you have seen? Post an example we could take a look at...?

+1

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com

+2
I imagine using the strap would be very bouncy.

If you are using the glue mount, is your helmet tight enough?

I have the original GoPro and aven't had any shaking issues. This is all footage straight out of the camera:

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I use the head mount.
Here's someone's video, with a constant flow and straight head. And awesome skiing.
Comparing this video to your "shakey" video is tough. It starts with the snow you are skiing on. If you have soft untracked snow like video 1 (or my video), everything (your whole body) is going to get shaken less. In your video the snow is pretty much tracked out, so every bump is going to be felt more sharply and show up in the video.

twinplanx

i call bullshit, the video is fake! everyone knows there is no tree skiing at Okemo
That's cause "everyone" is an idiot!! I don't think this clip is bad at all. And Loose Spruce is by no means my favorite glade at the mighty O. This video does not seem any more "shakey" then most others clips.