• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Middlebury Snow Bowl

xwhaler

Does anyone know if they run the Bailey Falls lift only on the wknds? I'd like to get there tomorrow but only if both lifts are running.
They are only reporting 6" of new snow which doesn;t seem right given what other neighboring mtns have rcvd.
A direct message to them on FB yielded nothing.

Smellytele

I have only been there 3 times and twice of those during the week and Bailey Falls was not running during the week but that doesn't mean it doesn't.

I would call them.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I agree on calling them. In the past it was hit or miss, mainly because of the conditions. They have limited snowmaking back there.

thetrailboss

Staff member
There is no snowmaking on the terrain served by that chair.

My recollection, and understanding, is that they have a line that covers the very upper part of the liftline and Youngman. It might have been since removed. I thought that was indicated on the map from circa 2000 or so. But most of that area is natural.

xwhaler

Well I called but "the manager" was not around so the guy didnt know. He said to call back in the AM
Hopefully I call in the AM and they tell me it's opening for the season...fresh un tracked over there would be pretty awesome.
If they arent spinning it I'll have to decide if a longer drive just for Worth/Sheehan are better choices than Pico or Magic (both also w/o 100% open terrain)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well I called but "the manager" was not around so the guy didnt know. He said to call back in the AM
Hopefully I call in the AM and they tell me it's opening for the season...fresh un tracked over there would be pretty awesome.
If they arent spinning it I'll have to decide if a longer drive just for Worth/Sheehan are better choices than Pico or Magic (both also w/o 100% open terrain)

Latest snow report on their site says it is not open.

xwhaler

Correct but I think that lift only runs in wknds. I'm hoping for that anyway. They should have enough base to open it as all natural terrain I'd think at this point

Sent from my moto g(6) using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
Correct but I think that lift only runs in wknds. I'm hoping for that anyway. They should have enough base to open it as all natural terrain I'd think at this point

Hope they do as well. The College is back in session, so I would imagine that they want to have everything open. It is a cool place to ski.

Newpylong

My recollection, and understanding, is that they have a line that covers the very upper part of the liftline and Youngman. It might have been since removed. I thought that was indicated on the map from circa 2000 or so. But most of that area is natural.

Yes it goes down Youngman about half a mile, left over from the expansion back there that was never completed due to some type of local abbuter opposition. It's not connected or used.

jaybird

Wouldn't be surprised to see it run Saturday.
Lots of snow on Breadloaf.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes it goes down Youngman about half a mile, left over from the expansion back there that was never completed due to some type of local abbuter opposition. It's not connected or used.

Yes. That’s what it was.

I also read about the expansion today. Too bad it didn’t go through. At least yet.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

raisingarizona

I don’t know if they ever get enough snow to ski it respectively but that double fall line lift line looks kind of rowdy.

xwhaler

I don’t know if they ever get enough snow to ski it respectively but that double fall line lift line looks kind of rowdy.
It sure does. The snow bowl skis so much bigger than it's vert or looking up from the parking lot would suggest. Pretty rowdy hill that is quite expansive

Hopefully I have some pics to share from there tomorrow!

benski

Its pretty far North, high elevation and North facing.That part of the spine gets 250" a year. They should do well with snow.

xwhaler

No Bailey Falls....no problem. Unbelievable day up there Saturday 1/12
Everything was fully game on. Such a great spot....low key, ski on, awesome terrain for it's size

Skis so much bigger than it's 1k vertical would lead one to believeIMG_20190112_134745324.jpgreceived_1149727041868754.jpgimage-20190112_102343.jpgIMG_20190112_092335249.jpgreceived_796041894080076.jpg