• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Recommend me a new pair of skis

Groovy Adventures

Howdy forum, this is my first post. I'm looking to get a new set of skis and need some recommendations. I've tried to do as much research as I can and think I know somewhat of what I'm looking for, but need some advice.

Me: I've been skiing since I was 10. In college, I would ski every day/ every other day at Pat's Peak (I had a season pass), which was a 5 minute drive from my college. Its amazing how good I got, when I skied virtually every day. I don't ski nearly as much anymore but but would like a new set of skis as mine are kind of ratty and have been used extensively. My old ski's are a Pair of Rossingnol Bandit XX's. When I got them they were fat and cutting edge, but by today's standards, they're pretty skinny. They were a no-nonsense, go anywhere, ski anything type ski and they handled crud especially well. They were marketed as a 50% on piste ski and 50% off piste ski. They're the best skis I've ever owned and if I could, I'd just get them all over again, but a 2018 model. If I have any complaints, its that they are a little chatty sometimes.

I'm 5 foot 10 and about 250 pounds. I have a relaxed stance but use a lot of power when I ski. I like bombing down runs with as much speed as I can muster. I favor short quick turns, just so I can keep my speed in check. Big arcing turns aren't really my style. I like steep runs, sometimes I venture into the park for the big air jumps, especially if its a pow day, so I can land in some plush snow. I'll do trees once in a blue moon, pow if we have it and I hate bumps. I'm looking for a fast & powerful all-mountain-ski that is good for quick turns and cuts through crud with ease and is on the stiff side of things.. I'm a big guy and what I can't finesse, I just power through.

I've come across the Nordica Enforcer, Elan Rip-stik, and Blizzard Brahama and Bonifide. Which ski is right for me or is there something else I should look at? I have horrible ankles and use custom made Daleboot ski boots. The skis will be used mostly in southern new england. I might get to Jay or Iceface once every few years but think more Ski Sundown/ Okemo/ Mt. Snow/ Magic/ Pats.

What skis should I get? and a big thank you for the help. Peace~

Last edited:

cdskier

Ideally you should try to demo the skis you're interested in. Very difficult for anyone to narrow it down further for you. Honestly based on the description of what you ski, I'm a bit surprised you're looking at a 50/50 ski. Something that favors the front side a bit more may be better for the terrain you like to ski. I'd also suggest that many of the skis you're looking at may be wider than necessary for the terrain/style of skiing you're targeting (although many of the models you mentioned actually have several different sub-models of different widths...so not sure exactly which ones you were thinking about).

SkiFanE

I'm not a good recommender for models - but based on what you like and your weight/power - I'd go with a Volkl. I've been a fan for awhile - because they are solid as hell and do not chatter. I've skied head and rossignols too - and although I love them (I love bumps but can also zoom when conditions are good) - volkls are the ones that I feel safest on with speed. They are on rails when cruising. Some say they are harder to ski - but I'm a strong person and pretty solid for a female - and given your weight and power that won't be a problem. I've owned the AC 30 before - ditched them because I wanted a quicker turner - but something like that could be up your alley (although others here would know much better than I). My current ski is a Volkl SL but probably not what you'd want.

WJenness

As someone of a similar weight (I am 6'4" 240):

I've been looking for a similar daily driver type ski, and have demoed a lot this year.

Of your list, I've tried the Enforcer (110), the Rip Stick (96), the Brahma, and the Bonafide.

The Brahma was my clear favorite.
The Bonafide was second of those, but I liked the quickness edge to edge of the Brahma more for something I'd be skiing on days without a lot of powder.

The Head Kore 93 that gnardog mentioned was a fun ski too. The Brahma held an edge a little better for me. I couldn't find a speed limit on that ski (the Brahma), and I just put it on edge and it turned, it was so much fun.

I am getting a pair.

Last edited:

tnt1234

Blizzard Brahama souls like a good choice, though honestly, you might prefer an all camber ski based on your description.

Groovy Adventures

Ideally you should try to demo the skis you're interested in. Very difficult for anyone to narrow it down further for you. Honestly based on the description of what you ski, I'm a bit surprised you're looking at a 50/50 ski. Something that favors the front side a bit more may be better for the terrain you like to ski. I'd also suggest that many of the skis you're looking at may be wider than necessary for the terrain/style of skiing you're targeting (although many of the models you mentioned actually have several different sub-models of different widths...so not sure exactly which ones you were thinking about).

The Rossi Bandit XX's, I got them the first year they were made. They won ski of the year something like 5 years in a row and came in 3 models. The X was 80% on trail, the XX was 50/50 and the XXX was a pow ski. The XX was the best at crud and varying conditions which is why I ended up getting it. Wether it be on ice or in a half pipe, or flying down some super g run, or in the trees at jay, they never let me down.

I've had other skis. I used to skiboard and have an old set of Line Jedi's. I had a Revel8 pair of skiboard and they were rubbish. I had a K2 twin tip in college and hated it. I have a set of LibTech Wreckreate 90's that I got on ebay for cheap (they have a cool PBR graphic on them and I get compliments from everyone), but they have soooooo much damn flex, and for the kind of skier I am, they're nearly impossible to use well.

So yea, I'm looking for more of a frontside ski that likes going fast, that doesn't have a mind of its own and will do what I tell it to. I want something that slices through crud cause it's new england and we get lots of crud and is stable at high speed. I do go into the park. I'm not much into rails, but I am into going big on the jumps so something that isn't going to shatter when I land a 40 foot air would be nice too ;) Same thing goes for rocks. I don't baby my skis. I used to just go over rock bands and hope for the best ;/

So yea, thats what I want, a go anywhere ski thats really more for frontside thats very stiff and lets me be in control. Something thats made well and isn't going to break or shatter with abuse. this will be my main ski for the next decade or so.

Last edited:

cdskier

So yea, thats what I want, a go anywhere ski thats really more for frontside thats very stiff and lets me be in control. Something thats made well and isn't going to break or shatter with abuse. this will be my main ski for the next decade or so.

For stiff skis I personally always tend to lean towards Volkl. The RTM line from them in particular might be right in line with what you're looking for. Maybe either the RTM 84 or 81 (81 would probably be a little better at short radius turns compared to the 84). I've never skied these (I have older Volkl AC50 skis for this type of condition), but these would be at the top of my list if I was looking for a new stiff frontside-focused all mountain ski.

gnardawg

I was also considering new skis. As I mentioned above I loved the Head Kore 93 when I demoed them but they're sold out everywhere (and expensive). Anyone have any experience with the Atomic Vantage line? Seem like a good deal for least years models on evo.com right now. Would prefer the 95s but the red color is terrible so I'd think about going up to the 100s.

Thoughts? Currently on Volkl Bridge which are 95 underfoot @ 179 (broke the edge if you remember from a thread I started a while back - It's fixed and skied fine by the way - held up well on the ice this past weekend!)

WJenness

For stiff skis I personally always tend to lean towards Volkl. The RTM line from them in particular might be right in line with what you're looking for. Maybe either the RTM 84 or 81 (81 would probably be a little better at short radius turns compared to the 84). I've never skied these (I have older Volkl AC50 skis for this type of condition), but these would be at the top of my list if I was looking for a new stiff frontside-focused all mountain ski.

I want to try the RTM 86s. The 84s I didn't like nearly as much as the Brahmas.

Cornhead

I want to try the RTM 86s. The 84s I didn't like nearly as much as the Brahmas.
Went from RTM 84's, both the white ones, box construction top sheet, green ones, metal strip down the center, to Brahmas. Liked all, I'm about 260lbs these days, so metal is a must. Brahmas are pretty stiff. I bought them at the end of last season, left them in the shop over the summer. I thought I bought them in 187 length. As it turned out, I bought 180's. No regrets, the 187's would probably be a little faster cruising groomers at warp speed, but 180's are probably more practical for bumps and trees.

Oh, speaking of fast, has anyone else tried One Ball Jay graphite wax? I applied it to my skis, and my buddy's Dynastars. We both almost slid off the conveyor on the quad at Greek before the chair got to us. Never had that happen before. Slides pretty good on snow too.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

Literally almost any shop that sells them, but particularly near a ski area for the sake of convenience. Typical deal is $50 for the day, swap as much as you like, get $50 off the sale price if you buy.

Some ski areas even have demo skis at the mountains in their own shops (usually only a handful of brands though).

gnardawg

Does anyone have any experience with with the Volkl 90Eights? On Volkl Bridges now.

WWF-VT

FWIW - I ski a Volkl RTM 81 on groomer/hard snow days and the Volkl Bridge the rest of the time. My son was on Bridges for a couple of seasons and this year is on the 90Eight which he likes but says they don't have the same edge control on hard pack/groomers that he has on the Bridge.

gnardawg

Good to know I appreciate it. Might try and demo the Kendo's but not looking for a ski that stiff.