• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bike Log

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I was thinking it might be a good idea to start a bike log that everyone in here could use to log their daily rides. I figure this way we can compare what other on here are doing and perhaps push each other a bit. I'll start:

Wednesday: appox 9.5 miles, avg speed 16 mph
Thursday: approx 9.5 miles, avg speed 17 mph
Saturday: approx 9.5 miles, avg speed 16.5 mph

The above three were all the same route, which for the most part is flat, some small climbs.

Sunday 31 miles, 16.5 mph. for the most part flat. Avg. speed was probably closer to 17 mph, but checked out a path in a park, about 4 miles. This slowed me down due to the fact that there were a lot of pedestians.

thaller1

The Trek Across Maine - for the American Lung Association
It's a grueling ride, but absolutely beautiful! It was well worth the sore butt and stiff legs..and now I know my body is capable of enduring immense pain! :)

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
thaller1 said:
The Trek Across Maine - for the American Lung Association
It's a grueling ride, but absolutely beautiful! It was well worth the sore butt and stiff legs..and now I know my body is capable of enduring immense pain! :)

Keep it up, you'd be suprised by what your body can handle. And congradulations on a good ride for a good cause!

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Today, since I'm logging here, decided to increase my 9.5 miles to 14.06, that's all I can do before work. Some small hills and an avg. speed of 16.5.

Edit: Got to try my new bike shoes on this ride. Fit nice, work nice, but gotta say, this is the first time I ever purchased shoes with holes in the soles. :)

Last edited:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I did 60 miles yesterday after work... unfortunately the last 15 were insanely painful. I should have checked the air quality maps before I left, but I had my old childhood asmtha coming back at me to the point where I could only breathe in about a quarter of my lung capacity without going into a coughing fit. That sucked. I'll be calling my Doc today I think.

Seems to be high levels of ozone that sets it off, and a fairly high exposure to it, such as breathing heavily for long periods of time... like one would on a bike ride.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Yeah, I saved a copy of the air quality map of NOAA's website from yesterday. I'll put it up when I get home. The air quality really was terrible, we were up near 100-120 ppb of ozone yesterday when I went out, which is def. in the high range of things-

Current air quality map for comparison.

bruno

andyzee said:
Today, since I'm logging here, decided to increase my 9.5 miles to 14.06, that's all I can do before work. Some small hills and an avg. speed of 16.5.

Edit: Got to try my new bike shoes on this ride. Fit nice, work nice, but gotta say, this is the first time I ever purchased shoes with holes in the soles. :)

duder! ride TO work!! commute man!!! you'll get in a lot more miles. i commute 23 miles r/t 5 days a week, rain or shine. with fun rides i get in anywhere from 250 to 350 mpw. commute!!! save yer dough and yer world!!!:smile: :smile: :smile: :snow: :flag: :)

just do it!!!:beer:

skibum1321

bruno said:
duder! ride TO work!! commute man!!! you'll get in a lot more miles. i commute 23 miles r/t 5 days a week, rain or shine. with fun rides i get in anywhere from 250 to 350 mpw. commute!!! save yer dough and yer world!!!:smile: :smile: :smile: :snow: :flag: :)

The problem with commuting is that we don't have a shower at work. And my co-workers would not appreciate it if I didn't shower.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
bruno said:

Wish I could, but as stated before, no showers and I sweat a lot when I work out. And I don't care what anyone says, I stink when sweaty :) .

bruno

andyzee said:
Wish I could, but as stated before, no showers and I sweat a lot when I work out. And I don't care what anyone says, I stink when sweaty :) .

babywipes! no kiddin'! try 'em!:beer: :p :smile:

we're gonna run outta oil one day, so ya better get used to yer bike!:beer: :flag:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
andyzee said:
You think? How's the lungs?

They're feeling back to normal today. They were still a little swollen yesterday though. Depending on how severe and prolongued the exposure, I guess the effects can take several days to wear off.

bruno

42 miles yesterday. didn't set cycloputer thingy on the avg mph doohickey. prolly avg around 16 or 17 on a rolling route. great ridin' day--bright sun, low humidity and longest daylight day of the year!!!! i wish it would never get dark. that's right--NEVER!!:razz: :beer: :p :smile: :beer: :flag: :cool:

bvibert

Staff member
Man, you guys are making my 5-6 mile after work MTB rides feel like chump change!

skibum1321

You really can't compare road mileage to mountain bike mileage. It's apples and oranges. I can easily get out and put 40-50 miles on a road bike in an afternoon, while in that same time period, I would only go a few miles mountain biking.

For the record, I don't have a computer on the mountain bike, but I have a general idea of distances (usually).