• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged: Mon. 1/7

Robbski

Snow was plenty firm but groomed nicely with very few icy spots. Most of the of the non-glade trails were open. Every thing opened was groomed. Exhibition to Birches was the run of the day. Also liked uppercut and lower crewcut. Good to see that they are putting some effort into these trails. Disappointed that one of my personal favorites Flying Yankee wasn’t open and won’t be for a while without some serious natural snow or a boatload of snowmaking.

Quite brisk with temps in the low teens and a strong breeze. Snowmaking on exhibition made the ride on the six pack a lift extra chilly. Virtually no one there as is common during the week there.

New RFID ticket equipment was working no problem but I hope they have some lifties playing traffic cop when it’s busy on the weekend or it could be a real clown show.

Not sure what to make of the new traffic pattern in the parking lot. I suspect that what they have now won’t be the final version.

podunk77

I'll be there this Friday. Birches was fun before they added snowmaking, but it was open so infrequently that I guess the addition of snowmaking isn't a bad thing (and it obviously gives mountain ops a narrower trail to open up than the much wider Exhibition). Also, I've known them to groom Upper and Lower Crewcut before, but am I correct in thinking it's still relatively unusual for them to do so? Seems like they almost always used to leave them natural.

deadheadskier

Staff member
New RFID ticket equipment was working no problem but I hope they have some lifties playing traffic cop when it’s busy on the weekend or it could be a real clown show.

I had a pass there 09-10 & 10-11. They used to have the absolute best liftie I've ever seen. Ran the six pack like a drill sergeant. Never an empty seat heading up on a busy day.

I switched to Gunstock for a couple of years after that due to them having much better snowmaking at the time. I'd get a Ragged ticket with the RSNE card. Was disappointed to see she had moved on.

Nothing more frustrating than waiting in lines longer than they need to be because the lifties can't figure out how to load a chair to capacity.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Robbski

I remember that lady from the 09/10 and 10/11 seasons you are correct about her being the GOAT of lifties! Ragged hasn’t one close to her since then. But that early RFID system was the worst! It was a monument to fail!

Last year was the first year in recent memory that I have seen the crew cuts and birches regularly groomed. Makes sense to me as it brings a little more challenge on line earlier or when there’s not much natural snow. I’m all for ungroomed terrain but when is skied out and icy why not send in the groomers and make it usable?