• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts.

Edd

Wildcat’s Instagram post nearly made me pass out 10 minutes ago.

IMG_3337.jpg

WILDCAT A VAIL MOUNTAIN? What in the actual fuck?

Pez

Can’t say I’m too surprised. There was no way Peaks was profitable.

Maybe Attitash will get a new lift or 2

I can only see mount snow getting more expensive and more crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Edd

Had I known this I certainly wouldn’t have bought the Ikon along with the Peak pass. The Epic Local pass kicks ass even without early pricing.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
WOW!!! The end of Peak Resorts... I really hope this does not stop the investment at both Mount Snow and Hunter.

Unfortunately...love it or hate it, Mount Snow was the closest big mountain for a lot of people on here and generally had pretty cheap online tickets and good deals. That's gone now. I also hope the Crotched contingent is going to be OK.

In other news, there's a going to be a massive alcohol shortage in the Wildcat region for the coming days!!! :lol:

jimmywilson69

so this is really a huge win for us people in the Mid-Atlantic. When peaks bought the SOuthcentral PA Resorts, my home resorts, they really don't offer anything for me of interest besides wildcat. Sure I would've eventually skied mounts snow, maybe hunter, and certainly the 2 Pocono's resorts. But other than that not much that "excited" anyone.

Now we get merged into the Vail world, which obviously has its issues, but now I have an abundance of options at my disposal.

Any Chance this falls through due to SEC Bullshit?

GregoryIsaacs

I would imagine that Vail has had their eyes on mount snow for years. Vail probably had to bite the bullet on the smaller resorts to get her! I'll be the first to say it, but it is clear that vail will try to get their hands on Haystack somehow.

That being said.....Very interesting times to be a landowner up there!

BenedictGomez

BG, please give us your rationale on how Vail will come crashing down in the not-so-distant future...a lot of people need it right now!!!

I've written here about my thoughts on this in the past, including how I thought Vail would buy Peaks sooner-rather-than-later, as they both needed each other.

At the end of the day, I've seen this movie many times before, in numerous sectors, and I know how it ends. The film is entitled, "Growth through acquisition rather than organic results", and I've never seen it have a happy ending. Not even once.

Eventually you run out of, "stuff to buy", and your quality of acquisitions gets worse as you've already plucked the low-hanging-fruit, not to mention the benefits of scale decrease, also you ironically drive up the cost of future acquisitions via your own actions. Growth stalls. Stock drops. Activist investors scream. Ohhh.... and the current CEO probably jumps ship prior to this point (while things still look good) and declares victory, leaving the new CEO with the tough job. This entire process will take some years though.

EDIT: On the bright side though, BG pockets some SKIS cash from this lunacy. :beer:

Last edited:

cdskier

EDIT: On the bright side though, BG pockets some SKIS cash from this lunacy. :beer:

Hah! I thought you had SKIS stock for some reason. This is one time I actually wish I had invested in something. The stock was so cheap for quite a while and Vail is paying a pretty nice price per share relatively speaking.

BenedictGomez

Hah! I thought you had SKIS stock for some reason. This is one time I actually wish I had invested in something. The stock was so cheap for quite a while and Vail is paying a pretty nice price per share relatively speaking.

I broke one of my big investing rules to own it, that rule being, never buy a stock simply because you think someone will aquire them.

SKIS is an absolutely terrible investment, just horrible, but I couldn't envision a scenario whereby Vail didn't buy them. Peaks needed an exit from their financial idiocy & misery, and Vail desperately needed east coast access to keep their growth story going with Wall Street's institutional investors.