• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

who has the right of way??

Website
maps.google.com
If u r in a parking lot & u r backing out of a parking spcae who has the right of way? the vehicle backing out or the vehicle driving in the parking lot? is there a right of way or is it just courteous for the car driving in the parking lot to stop? just curious!!

gmcunni

just curious or have a little accident in the parking lot and looking for free legal advice????

mlctvt

The person driving through the parking lot. The person backing out must yield to the cars driving by.

Glenn

If your post is shorter than your signature, it's not eligible for free legal advice on AZ.

bigbog

I hear ya' BB...with height of SUVs, even in one..backing out can get exciting, but...legally, my $.01 guess would be "depending on distance and speed"...of traveling vehicle, as they ARE supposed to stop as the vehicle IN FRONT has the right of way, but it is dependent on distance. Speed of traveling vehicle would also be key.. Not intended to give any HELP, just my $.01.

Website
maps.google.com
I hear ya' BB...with height of SUVs, even in one..backing out can get exciting, but...legally, my $.01 guess would be "depending on distance and speed"...of traveling vehicle, as they ARE supposed to stop as the vehicle IN FRONT has the right of way, but it is dependent on distance. Speed of traveling vehicle would also be key.. Not intended to give any HELP, just my $.01.

i agree....distance & speed....here where i am everyone is flying thru the parking lots in suvS, benz, bmw, trucks etc....you would think that courtesy & common sense would work but it doesnt....how about making a turn off of the road u r on & the vehicle behind u rides up ur ass & is blowing the horn?? lockup or ignore?? this has to be one of the rudest human behaviors on earth!! how about u r driving over the speed limit & the car behind u is honking because they want u to go faster?? automatic lockup??:angry::angry::-x:-x

WWF-VT

The person down the ski trail from you has the right of way. Especially if that person is not looking at you, the safest bet is not to ski near him or her. When overtaking a slower skier or snowboarder, leave as much room as reasonably possible and warn that person of your presence (for example say, “On your left”) before you pass.

WakeboardMom

A starboard tack boat has right of way over a port tack boat. When boats are on the same tack and overlapped, a windward boat shall keep clear of a leeward boat. When boats are on the same tack and not overlapped, a boat clear astern shall keep clear of a boat clear ahead.

Like BB said, "Common sense should prevail."

you're serious...right?..

If u r in a parking lot & u r backing out of a parking spcae who has the right of way? the vehicle backing out or the vehicle driving in the parking lot? is there a right of way or is it just courteous for the car driving in the parking lot to stop? just curious!!

you've been driving thirty five (?) years?....and have to ask such a BASIC , no brainer of a question?...are you THAT bored sitting around your beloved hood?..third day in drivers ed , fer chrissake....even those charged with DWO ( driving while Oriental) know THIS one....:roll:

wow...

A starboard tack boat has right of way over a port tack boat. When boats are on the same tack and overlapped, a windward boat shall keep clear of a leeward boat. When boats are on the same tack and not overlapped, a boat clear astern shall keep clear of a boat clear ahead.

Like BB said, "Common sense should prevail."

this takes me back to my prep school daze....( a maritime academy)....

Website
maps.google.com
you've been driving thirty five (?) years?....and have to ask such a BASIC , no brainer of a question?...are you THAT bored sitting around your beloved hood?..third day in drivers ed , fer chrissake....even those charged with DWO ( driving while Oriental) know THIS one....:roll:

ur half to 3/4 of the way backing out of a parking spot when an approaching vehicle is going in excessive speed toward ur vehicle....reverse & go back into the parking spot or complete backing out? me, i back out!! if horn goes off....im out of the vehicle & if i dont like what i hear i dial 911 indicating there is an individual threatening me with a gun!!

ur half to 3/4 of the way backing out of a parking spot when an approaching vehicle is going in excessive speed toward ur vehicle....reverse & go back into the parking spot or complete backing out? me, i back out!! if horn goes off....im out of the vehicle & if i dont like what i hear i dial 911 indicating there is an individual threatening me with a gun!!

and YOU get arrested. Period. EITHER for aggravated assault ( the product of your JUMPING out of the car....and uttering the inevitable threats ) , OR....police find NO weapon , and you are charged with ...ta da...LYING TO THE POLICE....not that this isnt your usual modis operandi...

dmc

while NOTHING could be further from the truth?...but I'd MUCH rather be hated than to be a laughing stock to the masses...but to each their own...

I'm both with the older KZone crew... Hated and laughed at... haha...

WakeboardMom

So...I just got back from the grocery store...

There was a guy backing out of a parking space, and a guy with a shopping cart was directly behind the car. Who has the right of way?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The person driving through the parking lot. The person backing out must yield to the cars driving by.
then again, James Bond's Aston Martin, replete with machine guns would be useful

James-Bonds-1964-Aston-Martin-DB5-3.jpg

Another handy accessory
James-Bond-Aston-Martin-DB5-Spinner.jpg

Last edited: