• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bike Log 2014

mlctvt

First road ride of the year yesterday, Yeh I know I should have been skiing!
but I had to be home Sunday for a family commitment in mid afternoon so I had a few free hours.

37.0 miles on the heavy cross bike with fenders only averaged 15.3mph, I felt like a slug especially on the 3 mile hill.

It's going to take a few weeks/months to get back into shape! Downhill skiing 2 day per week and 2-3 indoor workouts per week just doesn't cut it. Maybe I should do some spinning in winter?

Anyway it was great to be out and get some fresh air!!

I couldn't believe how much sand was on the roads, some roads were completely covered. Lots of potholes too, this winter really trashed the local roads.

bvibert

Staff member
I was wondering how long it would take for the first bike log entry of 2014.... Nice work!

BackLoafRiver

First ride yesterday. The day started sunny and nice...by 3 it was nippy. 21 miles in 70 minutes. IT felt great for the first ride but so humbling as I was sucking wind on the climbs. I busted hump all winter to avoid the suck...

I wonder how long it will take me to get back into normal riding shape?! Regardless, outside > gym.

mlctvt

First ride yesterday. The day started sunny and nice...by 3 it was nippy. 21 miles in 70 minutes. IT felt great for the first ride but so humbling as I was sucking wind on the climbs. I busted hump all winter to avoid the suck...

I wonder how long it will take me to get back into normal riding shape?! Regardless, outside > gym.

That a nice average speed for your first ride especially with wind, about 18mph. Looks like you are already in pretty good shape so it shouldn't take too long .

bvibert

Staff member
I'm itching to get back out on my MTB. I think there's some spots that are finally dry enough to ride around here, so hopefully soon!

BackLoafRiver

I'm itching to get back out on my MTB. I think there's some spots that are finally dry enough to ride around here, so hopefully soon!

Amen. It's still exceedingly wet in the woods. Last year, most of the local stuff opened up officially on May 1st. It will take a few weeks of straight dry weather to make that mark this year. Kingdom Trails sent out a statement saying their goal of May 1st is lofty if not entirely unattainable.

snoseek

Just cranked out 100ish miles in Moab in the past week and a nice little spin along the Platte in Nebraska today. Hoping to find some semi dry trails in NE mass upon returning this weekend. I'm sure southern nh is still wet.

bvibert

Staff member
Amen. It's still exceedingly wet in the woods. Last year, most of the local stuff opened up officially on May 1st. It will take a few weeks of straight dry weather to make that mark this year. Kingdom Trails sent out a statement saying their goal of May 1st is lofty if not entirely unattainable.

One bonus to living down this way I suppose, our stuff dries out faster...

bvibert

Staff member
Got my first two MTB rides of the season in over the weekend. The trails are in way better shape than I was expecting. Saturday I set out to do a quick exploratory walk to check the conditions out. I threw my bike in the car just in case, and I'm glad I did. It didn't take me long into my walk to realize the everything was dry and good go, so I turned around and grabbed the bike. It was getting late (and I'm fat) , so I only got 2.1 miles in. Sunday I went back for more and rode a fun 8 miles.

Felt great to be back out!

BackLoafRiver

I am jealous. Saturday was the perfect day to ride up here (road anyway) and I had to work all day.

It's impressive you guys are dry and rolling. I still speculate that we are several weeks out.

Edit - I meant to mention that I got out for my second ride on Friday. 23 miles in 1 hour, 13 minutes. Still slow.

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
Got another ride in yesterday, 12.7 miles in the woods. My goal was to hit double digits, so I'm happy.

Also got my son out for his first ride last Monday, I think we did 2.4 miles. I was real impressed with him!

BackLoafRiver

Got another ride in yesterday, 12.7 miles in the woods. My goal was to hit double digits, so I'm happy.

Also got my son out for his first ride last Monday, I think we did 2.4 miles. I was real impressed with him!

Congrats on both fronts!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile a

C-Rex

I got on the mountain bike last week for the first time in almost a year. We did 7.5 miles on Wednesday, 8.1 on Friday, and 10.4 on Sunday. I felt great on all three rides, which was surprising since I haven't done any real cardio since, well, last year. I guess all the powder and glade riding through the winter kept me in fairly good shape. (for me at least)

This rain put a damper on things, but I'm hoping to get out tomorrow or Friday. I'll be happy if I can consistantly ride 3-4 times per week all summer.

WoodCore

April 2014

April 21, 2014 - 7.2 Miles - 443 Feet of Climbing
April 24, 2014 - 6.2 Miles - 413 Feet of Climbing
April 28, 2014 - 6.6 Miles - 531 Feet of Climbing

April Totals: 20.0 Miles - 1387 Feet of Climbing

May 2014

May 5, 2014 - 8.5 Miles - 463 Feet of Climbing

Last edited:

mlctvt

Got an early start in Feb but March sucked since I was out of the country for almost 2 weeks and it was very cold that month. April was the best April I've had in years even though the weather wasn't all that great.

2011 Road miles__________ 2012 Road miles_______2013 Road miles______ 2014 Road Miles
February 24 miles_________ February 24 miles______February 0 miles______ February 24 miles
March 129 miles __________ March 248 miles_______ March 142 miles ______ March 28 miles
April 360 miles____________ April 386 miles________ April 366 miles _______ April 411 miles
May 582 miles____________ May 457 miles ________ May 479 miles
June 668 miles___________ June 416 miles ________ June 593 miles
July 923 miles___________ July 673 miles _________ July 671 miles
August 472 miles_________ August 612 miles ______ August 903 miles
Sept 572 miles___________ Sept 644 miles________ Sept 723 miles
October 239 miles________ October 242 miles______ October 361 miles
November 139 miles______ November 117 miles ____November 102 miles
December 0 miles________ December 0 Miles ______ December 38 miles
2011 total 4108 miles_____ 2012 total 3819 miles___ 2013 total 4378 miles

BackLoafRiver

Up to 144.3 miles. Got my first "long" ride in on Saturday. I spent the morning chasing some new guy to the area who was impressively fast.

One of the things I love about riding in our area is the scenery. I snapped this photo Friday afternoon. The quality isn't great but that view coming around a corner to show the bay is so pretty.

IMG_0866.jpg