• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hypothetical Thursday: K, SR, or Stowe?

scrappy

You’re going AWOL on Thursday.

Killington, Sunday River, and Stowe are more-or-less the same driving distance (you’ll head up after work Wednesday).

You have both Ikon and Epic, so the lift ticket is a non-issue. A hotel room will be $100 +/- $10 at any of these places.

There’s some wind in the forecast (~15 mph) at all three.

So... Where would you go?

Seriously. Asking for a friend.

mfi

Well for me Stowe is a no brainer..and considering they already got 6 inches last weekend, this weeknd will be even better with another storm set to pound it. Everything there is good.

farlep99

Stowe on windhold all day today. Looking like the same tomorrow, at least in AM

scrappy

So, my “friend” went to Sunday River...

There were initial “mechanical” problems with the Barker lift, and the Chondola (I was in Gondi cabin 2) didn’t quite start on time (10 minute delay b/c first cabin bottomed out on ice leaving the base — eliciting shouted fat jokes). And, as I feared, lots of lifts spent the day on wind-hold.

But...

The higher elevation terrain had bona fide powder (Top Gun, especially).

Early in the day, Downdraft was roped off, so I didn’t even think of going that direction off of Spruce peak. But later, when it did open, I realized the whole Aurora pod was open — and that I could get there with just a little uphill travel. (I hope this is not at the level of spilling a secret like Smuggs back-country runs.)

Untracked Airglow was ROTD. I think I was the only soul on it during my trip down.

Downdraft and Quantum Leap also skied very well. (It was strange skiing QL without dodging rocks and grass — never done that before!)

gregnye

The answer was "none of the above". Pico was where it was at! 18 inches of new snow. Summit lift only delayed by an hour. The real gem though was that they ran the outpost lift! Also it wasn't very crowded at all!

machski

So, my “friend” went to Sunday River...

Early in the day, Downdraft was roped off, so I didn’t even think of going that direction off of Spruce peak. But later, when it did open, I realized the whole Aurora pod was open — and that I could get there with just a little uphill travel. (I hope this is not at the level of spilling a secret like Smuggs back-country runs.)

Untracked Airglow was ROTD. I think I was the only soul on it during my trip down.

Downdraft and Quantum Leap also skied very well. (It was strange skiing QL without dodging rocks and grass — never done that before!)

No secret spilled there. Heck, I heard Jordan Double was spinning too, you shoud have brought skins and skinned up Kansas. I have even boot packed it up Kansas, not aweful that way either. Oz and Jordan would have been awesome and lift service back out to boot!

Glad you had fun, Quantum used to always be well covered when it first opened but was left natural for many years until about 2 years ago. But this is the earliest they have made EVERYTHING that they can ever (They may have hit EVERYTHING as early over a decade ago, but they cover more terrain today than back then).

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

Quantum used to always be well covered when it first opened but was left natural for many years until about 2 years ago.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

I didn’t know that. I haven’t been a regular there for years but during my final years there we mostly took a run down it for laughs to see how much it sucked.