• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Towns near Stratton or Mt.Snow

New Daddy

My family is thinking about changing our home mountain from Okemo to either Stratton or Mt. Snow, due primarily to the high lift ticket price.

Are there good-sized towns near either of them, with a supermarket, decent restaurants, shops, and what not?

Ludlow is one of the reasons we keep going back to Okemo, but Google maps doesn’t show something comparable around Stratton or Mt. Snow.

icecoast1

My family is thinking about changing our home mountain from Okemo to either Stratton or Mt. Snow, due primarily to the high lift ticket price.

Are there good-sized towns near either of them, with a supermarket, decent restaurants, shops, and what not?

Ludlow is one of the reasons we keep going back to Okemo, but Google maps doesn’t show something comparable around Stratton or Mt. Snow.

Mount Snow has Dover/Wilmington. There's stores,restaurants, banks right in town. That's probably the closer thing to ludlow of the 2. There isn't much around Stratton unless you want to drive down to Manchester

Last edited:

mriceyman

Manchester is like 20 mins from stratton

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

MEtoVTSkier

The Epic Pass isn't cheap enough?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
IMO, as far as cheap ski towns, nothing beats Ludlow. Lots of competition between businesses has made for crazy low prices. Cheapest gas you'll find in a ski town. Lots of ski shops...you'll be able to find ANYTHING. The Shaw's is awesome to have. Village Pizza and Subway let you eat hot food cheap and fast.

I believe I've stopped in Londonberry for food as they have a small supermarket. Also there's a liquor store, gas. I stay in Weston right over the big hill on 100 from Ludlow. Really...if Ludlow is your baseline be ready to give up some convenience.

slatham

Ludlow is one of the more/most unique VT villages when one considers amenities and distance from lifts of a “resort”. I am hard pressed to recall a town like Ludlow that is less than 10 minutes from lifts. Stowe, Waitsfield and Wilmington are probably the closest comps....

BenedictGomez

never thought I'd see Shaw's and awesome used together in the same sentence

I dont think Shaw's is terrible, but for whatever reason, the uber-nice grocery store chains have not made it to Vermont yet.

Nothing like Wegman's, etc......

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
That is true. Most resorts have an access road longer than the distance Okemo's main base is to town. And then once you're off the access road, you still have a 5-10 minute+ drive to get to "town". Ludlow is pretty covenient to the lifts.

FBGM

Manchester might be the only Southern VT town where people don’t fvck their sisters for Meth.

Smellytele

Ludlow is one of the more/most unique VT villages when one considers amenities and distance from lifts of a “resort”. I am hard pressed to recall a town like Ludlow that is less than 10 minutes from lifts. Stowe, Waitsfield and Wilmington are probably the closest comps....

North Conway. 1 ski area in Town (Cranmore), 3 ski areas within 10 minutes (Black, Attitash, King Pine) and 2 more within 20 (Wildcat, Shawnee Peak)

thetrailboss

Staff member
As someone else already pointed out, it is pretty hard to beat the Epic Pass. The Ikon is going to be pretty similar price. I imagine that Mount Snow will be relatively close as well.

thetrailboss

Staff member
North Conway. 1 ski area in Town (Cranmore), 3 ski areas within 10 minutes (Black, Attitash, King Pine) and 2 more within 20 (Wildcat, Shawnee Peak)

Yes. Pretty damn hard to beat the access of North Conway. I always loved North Conway for multiple reasons.

cdskier

...don't all of those mountains have about the same ticket price ?

That was my first thought... Plus the Epic local pass gives unlimited access to Okemo. Isn't that pass cheaper than the previous Okemo ones? A few weekends of use and the pass is paid for.

Glenn

For amenities, you're probably looking at Dover/Willmington or Manchester.

witch hobble

No advice for original question but Lincoln, NH is “real town” with Price Chopper, restaurants, shops, super quick access to Loon and decent to Cannon.