• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The REAL Sunday Ride - Hubbard Park 08-17-08

o3jeff

Met up with Carrie, Steve and Johnny around 4 and started to head up, but only made it 50 yards before Steve encountered chain problems. After a few minutes Johnny fixed the bad link and we continued.

The ride was a lot better then our first ride there. The worst part is the hike a bike up some steep rocky terrain, but once we got to the castle on top the ride became enjoyable. There was hills, a lot of rocky down hills, rock gardens and really good views on the ride

We all rode really well and Carrie rode a lot new stuff that she's never seen and did a great job with coaching from JP. She did take a good spill at one point were she went over the bars and the bike landed on her banging her chin into a rock and she shook it off and rode away.

Ended up getting a little lost at the end of the ride and ended up doing some road riding back to the park, but got back where we did some tail gating. Steve brought some great steaks and shrimp we cooked up on JP's grill along with some cold beverages, great way to end the ride.

Thanks again Steve for the meal.

If we can master the end of the ride, it will be worth doing again. Will post gps route shortly. Steve took pics and video which I am sure he will post when he gets a chance.

o3jeff

Steve, if you look at the gps track, if we would of kept going instead of turning around we would of ended back at the cars without the road ride. But then again we were still a good distance out so we were probably better off taking the way we did.

The steaks more than made up for getting for getting us lost!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
It definitely was a LONG ride. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do anything after hiking my bike up that steep stuff in the beginning. :eek: But you guys made sure I kept moving and I had no choice but to pick up speed and be a little crazy. ;) Missed some good stuff that you guys got on vid - can't wait to see that! Very rocky going down... Jonny did an awesome job coaching me through some scarier stuff. Thought I'd roll right over that rock that got me... ugh! It wasn't so bad going OTB - nothing hurt when I landed. But when the bike came back down on my head and pushed my chin into that rock, that was a major OUCH!

While we did get a little lost at one point (though it looks like on the track we might have gotten back to the road that way anyway?), it was cool hearing that owl in the woods. I was absolutely beat by the time we did get to the road and wasn't sure I'd make it back. That's when riding in a group really helps. :)

It was worth it! :D Thanks again, Steve, for the awesome steak and the cold brew! Perfect way to end a ride! :beer:

Hard to believe it was 9.8 miles.... it really didn't feel like it, even if it was the longest ride by far for me. Glad I went with you guys though! Great time this evening!

ETA: BTW, Brian says I will now be learning how to true my back wheel. :eek:

Last edited:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Some photos..... (but Steve has all the good ones!)

At the top when we were taking a break while the guys worked on Steve's chain:
DSCN0735.sized.jpg

On the trail repairs:
powhunter, o3jeff, jonnypoach
DSCN0736.sized.jpg

o3jeff, jonnypoach, powhunter
DSCN0741.sized.jpg

That's all I got...

Last edited:

Trekchick

I would like to say just how impressed I am that you guys are getting Carrie into Mt biking without freaking her out. The fatal flaw when getting a friend interested is finding the balance between pushing to the next level and keeping a comfort zone.

Good on you guys for taking care of my gal pal!!!!
Good on you, Carrie, for getting out of your comfort zone!!!!

Oh, and one more tip.............Advil is your friend!

Greg

Staff member
Nice job with the lengthy ride! Looking forward to the vids and pics.

MR. evil

Brian,
Let me say from experience that it is very cool and fun having a wife that rides. But be prepared to get some nasty looks from people when you and Carrie are out in Public and she is covered in bruises and scrapes.

bvibert

Staff member
Brian,
Let me say from experience that it is very cool and fun having a wife that rides. But be prepared to get some nasty looks from people when you and Carrie are out in Public and she is covered in bruises and scrapes.

Yes, it is very cool that she's into it. I'm thrilled that she went last night and had fun. She pushed her comfort level (something that I have trouble making her do), which is awesome! Now I can take her on some harder stuff the next time we go out. :D Her legs are already covered in bruises so I know exactly what you mean. 8)

Trekchick

It was just 6 weeks ago that I had a black eye, bruised hip down the entire outside of my thigh, and a broken wrist.
Terry got some looks, to which he replied. "Next time she'll shut up when I tell her to!"

o3jeff

We just told her we had no problem leaving her behind if she didn't keep up:wink:

Actually at one point on the ride back she came pedaling by all of us.