• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Challenge Results: Fred Baybutt of Granite Gorge

deadheadskier

Staff member
Very honest answers, especially regarding Maple Valley!

agreed :lol:

it was a 'your favorite mountain sux' response :lol:

overall though, I dug his candid responses. Made me want to go check the place out. Bigger isn't always better. I've had great days at Pat's Peak and numerous other small hills. I'm sure I could dig Granite on the right day.

roark

interesting responses. like the uphill policy. not buying 40 degree pitch on the main slope. it's moderately steep, but not long enough to make more than a couple turns. Great confidence builder for an intermediate but not enough to keep me interested. The interesting stuff looked to be on the west side, but was never open when I was there. They do have a good tubing set up, and the park scene seemed to be good, just not my thing. Definitely seems like a character.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
interesting responses. like the uphill policy. not buying 40 degree pitch on the main slope. it's moderately steep, but not long enough to make more than a couple turns. Great confidence builder for an intermediate but not enough to keep me interested. The interesting stuff looked to be on the west side, but was never open when I was there. They do have a good tubing set up, and the park scene seemed to be good, just not my thing. Definitely seems like a character.

I thought I posted earlier but it doesn't look like it made it in.

The 40 degree pitch thing got me going too, but that is really damn steep. Lack of grooming on it could make it pretty fun terrain.

I'd definitely like to check it out, and I just realized I have a friend from my last job who lives literally right around the corner.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Also: I like the natural wind buffer and sun-facing directions he talked about. That definitely makes for nice full-day skiing sessions.