• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Should we disable the member post count?

Should we disable the member post count?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Staff member
Time to poll this one out. Feel free to comment in this thread.

BeanoNYC

I voted yes.

I think this forum has matured to a point where we all know who the better contributors are. Numbers don't matter, it's content. Maybe keep the mountains as a marker. Once you hit over 1000, your a heavy hitter.

I would, however, suggest this happens after you kit your 20K in a few weeks. Quite a milestone.

Dr Skimeister

Too bad there wasn't a way to rate quality of posts rather than quantity. Me thinks some who seek grande numbers on quantity would find themselves at rock bottom if quality was able to be enumerated.

bvibert

Staff member
We did have a system that allowed users to gain reputation, but it didn't go over too well. That's about as close as you'd get to rating quality over quantity.

BeanoNYC

Too bad there wasn't a way to rate quality of posts rather than quantity. Me thinks some who seek grande numbers on quantity would find themselves at rock bottom if quality was able to be enumerated.

I think we tried something like that once with Rep Points, or something like that. Didn't pan out.

chase

I voted no....for new members its interesting/helpful to see who the regular posters are...

Greg

Staff member
I voted no....for new members its interesting/helpful to see who the regular posters are...

Which could be solved by the peak rank images as Beano suggests above.

BeanoNYC

Last edited:

Dr Skimeister

Actually, I've been rethinking this since Doc mentioned it. I belong to another community that doesn't use post counts but used Karma points for posts and submissions. Each registered member is allowed to give one karma point for any give post.

I like that idea.

Helps with the proverbial wheat vs. chaff, and I think would be a much better gauge that new members could use to seek out good posters of good information.

Greg

Staff member
I think those rep systems are to similar to the "popularity" games kids in high school play...

Understandable. But given the events as of late, it could prove useful. It might result in more quality posts, and would encourage members to take ownership for what they post.

chase

Which could be solved by the peak rank images as Beano suggests above.

If you decide to do that make sure its clear how many posts you must make to get a mountain...i wasn't aware that 1 mountain=200 posts until i read this thread...

bvibert

Staff member

I fully supported it the first time around. The trick is configuring the system so that it's not just a popularity contest.

That problem with new users using post count to gauge is that a high post count doesn't always indicate that a user knows what the hell they're talking about.

Greg

Staff member
That problem with new users using post count to gauge is that a high post count doesn't always indicate that a user knows what the hell they're talking about.

Word. Take the top two posters for example. They're effin morons.

highpeaksdrifter

I voted get rid of them. I don't like the reputations idea either. I can see that turning into a popularity contest. Some people might post things that they know will make others happy just to get reputations points. The whole thing is childish.

New posters will learn who is who soon enough. Lets give them some credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.