• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nassahegan, Burlington, CT - 8/3/08

Greg

Staff member
Met up with Brian and Jeff right a 4 pm and Tim showed a few minutes later. After a few minutes looking at my bike, they determined I needed some air in my fork. Thanks guys for helping out a FS newb. I definitely have some things to research.

We soon hit the N. Scoville warm-up and then headed south to hit B Street. The [post="293098"]new bike[/post] rode great, but did take some getting used to. Brian set a moderate pace and I only lagged a bit here and there and slowing Jeff in the process (sorry, bud). I also OTB'd on the big log on the new stretch we've been doing. Wrecked pretty hard with my head (thank you helmet) and right arm taking the impact of the wipe-out followed by ~30 lbs of Trek crashing over me. I narrowed it down to either: too high a seat, mashing the front disk brake which is far more powerful than what I'm used, and Brian suggested perhaps too much rebound in the rear shock. In reality, pilot error was probably likely the cause. I rode more conservatively for a bit, again slowing poor Jeff down some more.

We then crossed E. Chippens and down B Street. I skipped the ledge which I've never done, due to still being conservative and the wetness, and the realization that the stock tires suck (they will be the first upgrade). We cut this stretch short to meet Steve back at the lot. Took the twisties back.

Met up with pow and hit the cemetery twisties. Once on the doubletrack, Steve and I split off from the group who planned to ridge up on the ridge. I think Brian and I have a similar mindset in that faster-paced longer rides are where it's at. Brian was gung-ho to parallel 69 back. Jeff seemed a bit less enthusiastic but of course had the option to road it back. I'll be interested to hear what they did. Steve took off from the lot and I did the N. Scoville twisties again. I really tried to push it faster this time and started to settle in with the new bike.

Overall bike verdict: It's a keeper. A FS definitely makes for a more enjoyable ride. I still have a lot of hardware to dial in, but so far so good.

o3jeff

I am glad I continued on the ride, made it up the big hill the furthest I have ever done without stopping 10 times and walking. Don't worry about slowing me down as you know I prefer the slower pace.

Will upload the track when I am done with my hot dogs.

bvibert

Staff member
Rad ride, good pace the whole time. I cleared some more sections that normally give me trouble and rode others with much more confidence. Tim and Jeff ended up deciding to take 69 back so I followed suit, not really wanting to ride that last section by myself. We chilled in the parking lot for a bit and shot the shit while Tim and I enjoyed a nice cold beer, courtesy of Tim (thanks man, that really hit the spot and I don't normally drink beer).

Next time I gotta stop being such a baby and drop that ledge on B street, other than that I was more than happy with my riding.

Greg

Staff member
I am glad I continued on the ride, made it up the big hill the furthest I have ever done without stopping 10 times and walking. Don't worry about slowing me down as you know I prefer the slower pace.

Sweet! :cool: I almost cleared that whole hill the last time I was up there; only to bobble and step out within sight of the top. Slow and steady is the key there.

I sensed you braking a lot behind me in spots. I definitely was inconsistent with my speed, but after my solo run through the warm-up loop, I felt more confident and smoother on the bike so hopefully I can begin pulling away again soon. ;)

Next time I gotta stop being such a baby and drop that ledge on B street, other than that I was more than happy with my riding.

You definitely were ripping, Brian. I would say keeping a pace similar to what you normally consider my "fast" riding. I was impressed with you clearing part of that techy section at the end of the cemetery twisties.

The B Street ledge is one of those spots that's a lot easier than it looks. I think part of why it doesn't bother me is because I stumbled upon it the first time solo and was already committed so I just went for it. There's one line through there and it sorta just sucks you through it due to the terrain. I'm pissed I walked it tonight.

Greg

Staff member
Here's the gps track. Looks like we did 8+ miles which should help me sleep like a baby tonight.
http://www.crankfire.com/trails/data.php?dataid=447

And since I didn't split with Greg and Steve and continued the ride, I am going to go scoop up a big bowl of ice cream now to put back what I exercised off.

Look how daunting the climb looks here:

489659b302e02.png

Greg

Staff member
That's definitely an HC.

HC? As in hard core? Hella-climb? I suspect you'd laugh at that "hill", but you're insane and much younger than us old coots.

awf170

HC? As in hard core? Hella-climb? I suspect you'd laugh at that "hill", but you're insane and much younger than us old coots.

Doh, I guess you don't watch the tour at all. An "HC" is an unclassifiable climb. Your vert profile made me think of a tour outline.

profile17.gif

MR. evil

The B Street ledge is one of those spots that's a lot easier than it looks. I think part of why it doesn't bother me is because I stumbled upon it the first time solo and was already committed so I just went for it. There's one line through there and it sorta just sucks you through it due to the terrain. I'm pissed I walked it tonight.

Ya, the B-street ledge was pretty easy. I was pretty happy that I was able to clean all of the technical DH stuff. But some of those climbs after your guys split were killing me. I was just spent. I wasn't even close making a bunch of technical climbs I cleaned the last time around. Oh well, there is always next time. That washed out DH before the bridge crossing was pretty sketchy tonight. I think all of the rain has made it much worse since I was last there. I was able to make it down but I had a few close calls that got the heart racing for a bit.

bvibert

Staff member
Morning after report... I'm spent, did NOT want to get out of bed this morning....

o3jeff

Me too, need to get my butt off the couch and get to work. Good thing I didn't give all my Motrin away to you guys!

powhunter

Nice riding with you boys again!! I was totally spent after those cemetary twisties....You guys were really flying thru that shit!! My legs were actually shaking after that little uphill scramble we did before I left.. quite different then the JP fun rides ive been going on ;-)
Ive gotta try to get 2 rides in a week.....

steve

MR. evil

Nice riding with you boys again!! I was totally spent after those cemetary twisties....You guys were really flying thru that shit!! My legs were actually shaking after that little uphill scramble we did before I left.. quite different then the JP fun rides ive been going on ;-)

steve

The pace slowed done quite a bit after you guys left. Right after you guys took off was the start of a monster climb that totally kicked my ass. But aftre the climb were all the fun DH's.

I am spent this morning, but Randi and I are going to get out for a ride sometime today. This will make 4 day out riding in the last 5 days :cool:

o3jeff

I was looking at the stats from the gps on Topofusion and it showed we had more stopped time than riding time. So I think me, Tim and Brian killed the good average after you guys left that we had from the beginning of the ride.

Greg

Staff member
Morning after report... I'm spent, did NOT want to get out of bed this morning....

Right arm is sore today, but overall I'm not too fatigued. That was a monster ride you guys ended up doing so no wonder you're spent.

steve

We've all been getting much faster through the twisties. I used to loathe that short techy uphill at the end of that stretch, but I love it now. I want to clear the whole thing sometime.

I was looking at the stats from the gps on Topofusion and it showed we had more stopped time than riding time. So I think me, Tim and Brian killed the good average after you guys left that we had from the beginning of the ride.

We've been generally stopping a lot less and for much shorter periods lately. We must be finally getting in shape. We're going to kill it once ski season rolls around.

MR. evil

Last night during one of our breaks Brian, Jeff and I were talking about doing a 4 plus hour epic ride at Nass some Sunday morning. We were thinking sometime in September.

Greg

Staff member
Last night during one of our breaks Brian, Jeff and I were talking about doing a 4 plus hour epic ride at Nass some Sunday morning. We were thinking sometime in September.

I'll lead. ;)