• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 3/16/08 (Bump or Bust Mogul Competition)

MRGisevil

Hey Guys-

First off- great job to everyone today, you all looked phenomenal! I had a great time filming and am actually putting a vid together right now.

I have 11 pages of footage on my camera, so for now I am just doing a montage of Alpine Zoners, and I'll have a full movie of the competition up later. I want to make sure I get all of the Alpine Zoners in on this, and I'm not sure I caught everyone that was there. If your name is not on the list below, could you please respond with what you were wearing and your bib #? Also, Mikey, what was your wife's name? Jeff... your kids were skiing, right? What were their names? Anyone else who had family in the comp, please let me know as well.

Here is a list of people I (currently) remember:

Greg
2knees
Johnnypoach
Powerhunter
Bvibert
Mr. Evil
MrMagic
Madskier6
Mikey1

Please let me know if you were there but not on this list, or if you had family participate whom you'd like to recognize.

MRGisevil

powhunter threw an almost backflip...it was really impressive!! Some kid who works the terrain park threw out a 1080, and there was a ton of really nice air. Pat jumped so high I thought he was going to drop his disguise and fly into space to save the day or something.

Alpine Zone nearly swept the finals. First place went to this tele guy named Nigel. 2nd 3rd and 4th went to MrMagic, 2Knees and Jonnypoach.

madskier6

Yes, my children participated. Kevin was Bib 536 in the 18 & under ski category. My other son, Connor, was bib 538 in the Snowboard category. I was Bib 537 in the 18+ ski category.

I'm so proud of how both of my children did. Kevin placed 3rd overall in his category.

What a great event!. Good job Sundown.

deadheadskier

Staff member
How many total racers?

Anyone have the full results?

Congrats to all that competed, I wish I could've been there if not competing just cheering ya'll on.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I've been waiting for an update as Brian is still not home and has not returned my calls. They must be out having a really good time. :roll:

Can't wait to see the vid!

Greg

Staff member
I'll have a vid of AZers later also. AWESOME day! Tele dude Nigel took it and there will be a lot of discussion about that, I'm sure. More later.

2knees

I'll have a vid of AZers later also. AWESOME day! Tele dude Nigel took it and there will be a lot of discussion about that, I'm sure. More later.
Most importantly, that was a great comp and kudos to sundown, Jarrod, Chris and everyone else. THANK YOU!

i had a boatload of fun.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I was a bit surprised seeing a tele guy win it. Perhaps he was just more impressive through the bumps considering he was on teles than any of the alpiners? dunno

It certainly seems like a farce though. I've seen some teles shred bumps, but definitely not as good as someone can ski em' on alpine boards.

2knees

So, what I'd like to see/read is for all those who competed, what did you throw on each air?

there was only one kicker on the course. i threw spreads and twists until i came up against Mr.Magic. I ended up throwing a spread but landed so so far down i was in shock. I caught way too much air for this old man.

powhunter

my son john competed as a snowboarder...bib 528??? he took 4th.....fantastic day great meeting some new people....skiing with the usual crazies....and thanks to ski sundown for holding this event....now for a shot of jaeger and handfull of advill...a cold bud light..and a shower!!

steve

madskier6

So, what I'd like to see/read is for all those who competed, what did you throw on each air?

I hit a spread on most of my runs. It definitely got harder to land good aerials as the competition progressed. The conditions hardened up a bit & that kicker started launching people further down on a firmer landing surface.

Greg

Staff member
A Success!!!

Well, here's my experience. A really awesome and fun day and a total success!!!

I got to the mountain a bit after 10 am. Saw Chris Sullivan and chatted with him a few times which was great since I only met him once before, but we exchange Emails all the time. A super nice guy and one that "gets it". A great guy to have as the mountain ops manager. I then took a few runs and was greeted by super soft mashed potato moguls. PERFECT! Even the flat lines on Nor'easter skied in nicely and the turn into Temptor, as always was fun and challenging.

The bumps on the steep part of Temptor where the course started were awesome! Jarrod and crew were setting up the platform and the kickers. They built some (for me) pretty large jumps. Honestly I was a little nervous about them, but they turned out to be easy to hit and the landing was pitched perfectly with plenty of time to recover before hitting the bumps. A few practice runs and I had my modest spreader dialed.

My plan was to make nice controlled turns, perform a solid single trick, and just ski consistent overall. The first run was a "qualifier" which basically gave the judges a feel for the competitors and helped them to pair us up. I was up 2nd in the group and skied cleanly nailing my air. I actually got a bye along with 2knees and jonnypoach and immediately advanced one bracket. I was psyched about that. We were considered the top three skiers and were allowed "demo" runs during the first set of duels. I did another clean run and hit my air well.

My first duel was against Nigel, the tele skier who ultimately won the thing. I again skied cleanly, felt good on the air, but then heard and soon saw Nigel pass me. I tried to stay calm and just finish the run cleanly. I knew Nigel wasn't taking much air or trying a trick so I figured I could sacrifice the speed points and just let it come down to turns. At the bottom, I thanked Nigel who did the same. We both agreed it was a fun match-up. Super nice and humble guy. I felt confident on the ride up, but learned I was eliminated at the top of course. Oh well. I was disappointed, but I skied as well as I could have and was happy with all my runs. No regrets at all.

A great day. Some highlights:
  • My wife and 2 daughters came to watch what they could see of the event from the base deck. It was very special to have their support.
  • The course was sweet! Big bumps, deep troughs so there was no faking it. The snow was perfectly soft and slushy though.
  • Weather was great and we even scored some sun from time to time.
  • The kicker and landing was perfect. They decided to only do one as part of the comp on the steep section which made more sense.
  • Really cool to see powhunter's son, John compete, as well as madskier6's sons Connor (snowboard) and Kevin (skier) compete. They all did great!
  • Glad to see MR. evil, who was on the fence, compete. No regrets by him either, I'm sure.
  • A decent turn-out with 29 competitors, probably almost half in the 19+ skier group (us)
  • Jarrod was a riot on the megaphone.
The mighty Ski Sundown pulled out a legitimate and super fun contest. Great job, guys! THANK YOU.

My only gripe, and this is not meant to take anything away from Nigel who won it, but I think the judging was a bit skewed and gave the tele guy a bit of an unfair handicap. Don't get me wrong, the guy rips the bumps, but took no real air attempt while guys like jonnypoach was throwing down big daffies and twister spreads. There's tons of video so I'll let the rest of you judge, but that's just my take on it. Maybe next year there can be a tele category like they had for snowboarders.

Again, the event was great. Another BIG thanks to Jarrod, Chris and the rest of the Sundown terrain, guest services, and patroller team. VERY well done. I hope we can do it again next year! A big congrats to MR Magic who was the top placing AZer! Nice job on the silver!

Finished the day free skiing with jonnypoach, powhunter & son John. The course continued to stiffen, but still skied great. Tossed back two $3 Guinesses with Pat, Steve, jonny & buddy, and John to end one of the season's most fun days!