• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The carnage thread

bvibert

Staff member
Post up your best cycling related carnage pictures or stories. It can be broken equipment or busted up body parts, or both would be even better.

Mine just happened last night:

Pics (click for bigger pics):

I'm thinking a little JB weld and some duct tape and I'll be good to go. :beer:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Holy fark, that sucks man! Did you ride a specialized? I can't remember.

You need to get on a beefier frame. Try lookin for an old Ellsworth Id or equivalent.

Or you can chase my dream of building an entire bike frame out of JB Weld.

tjf67

Post up your best cycling related carnage pictures or stories. It can be broken equipment or busted up body parts, or both would be even better.

Mine just happened last night:

Pics (click for bigger pics):

I'm thinking a little JB weld and some duct tape and I'll be good to go. :beer:

OOFh that sucks. I dont like seeing stuff like that. Best thing to do is just go out and get another frame. Dont think about it you will only stress out.

GEEZ I have never broken more than a hanger on my rides. Last night was the maiden vorage on the MT. Was cruising down a flat section and a tree branch reached out of the woods and cloth lined me. Put new pedals on my bike and had the wrong adjustment and had a hard time clipping out. 5 or 6 tipovers on that.

bvibert

Staff member
At least you'll get your chance to build up a bike almost from scratch.

Yeah. Like Carrie said though, no money in the budget for a new frame, that's why I was hoping this one would last for a while longer...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Yeah. Like Carrie said though, no money in the budget for a new frame, that's why I was hoping this one would last for a while longer...

Bummer. I'd give you my old hard tail frame, but I don't think it would fit you. You're like 3 inches taller than me right?

bvibert

Staff member
Bummer. I'd give you my old hard tail frame, but I don't think it would fit you. You're like 3 inches taller than me right?

I have my old HT frame, so I'm all set there. It's not preferable, but at least I can still ride. Thanks for the offer though! I'm 6'4", BTW.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Let me know if you get hung up on anything. I don't imagine you would, being a bright fellow, but I could write the book on bike mechanic fark ups, since I've done and learned from pretty much all of them.

bvibert

Staff member
Thanks Marc, I'll keep that in mind.

Assuming that Specialized doesn't come through with some sort of miracle warranty replacement I'll be transferring everything except for the cranks and FD from the FS to the HT. Should be pretty straight forward. It kinda sucks that I just cut the last of my deraileur housing to the FS bike...

gorgonzola

did you check out your warranty status? i had a similar break - chainstay not seatstay - and my lbs and jamis turned it around within a week (they both rock!)

bvibert

Staff member
did you check out your warranty status? i had a similar break - chainstay not seatstay - and my lbs and jamis turned it around within a week (they both rock!)

I'm going to check it out, but I'm not expecting anything. They consider the rear triangle pieces to be suspension linkages, which are only warrantied for 1 year. The bike is a 2002.

MR. evil

really? thats lame

Its very true. Thats why it really important to understand what your frame warranty really includes. Spesh says they offer a lifetime frame warranty, only they have a ton of exclusions and consider the entire rear triangle part of the suspension. Pretty lame in my book and false advertising to boot.