• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotch Rash Question!!!! You have been warned!!!!

skizilla

I get a really bad rash just below my testicles on the inside of both my legs either from underwear chafe of legs rubbing together who knows. This only really happens on humid days above 80%. It really sucks and takes about a mile and a half of walking to happen. Then I simply can't walk without it looking like someone toook razors to the inside of my thighs. I also get it a little bit on the inside of my ass cheaks and that is no party either. Any solutions out there? I have tried wicking underwear and clothes and although i am sure it helps it is not a permanenet solution. Help this essentially screws me out of serious summer hiking. I t has happened to me all my life but in the last few years it has just gotten out of hand. I have gained a little weight but plenty of people with weight hike....I am not that fat either maybe 30 pounds over ideal my doctor says I am fine. I am sure this is tooo much information but any solutions would be appreciated.

SkiDog

I've had this issue....it SUCKS...I feel for you brother...I really do...the worst is when you have to get up the next day and hike again...the sweat starts to build up on all the sensitive skin...ouch..salt and chafing DO NOT MIX..

Anyway sorry to stray.....I would continue to use the wicking undergarments as I believe this is KEY...but you may also like to put some GOLD BOLD MEDICATED powder on that area LIBERALLY...dont be shy about this..it will considerably absorb the sweat thats causing the chafing....now this I have done and it seems to work GREAT..

I have heard another solution, I have not tried and it sounds WICKED messy...but here goes..
There is that hiker guy who hiked the Pacific crest, the app trail and the continental divide trail in succession in like a record amount of days (google it)....anyway..he SWEARS by VASELINE...I dont think I have to tell you what to do with it...again..I think this would prove VERY messy, but hey like I said he swear by it..and if anyone was going to experience chafin it was going to be that guy...

M

JimG.

Staff member
Sounds like heat rash.

If it is, moisture is the issue...try using baby (talcum) powder.

Grassi21

I'm more of a casual hiker, but have experienced this while jogging. I started wearing Under Armour boxer briefs which helped a bit. What really did the trick was continuing to jog. As I lost those extra few pounds the chaffing stopped.

BeanoNYC

BEST THREAD EVER!!!!!

Around here we call what you have "Chub Rub." I agree with skidog that Gold Bond Powder, GREEN BOTTLE will prevent it. Be warned though .... there will be a party in your pants for the first 10 minutes of application.

...oh yeah and some wicking boxer briefs will help as well.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I had a similar problem when biking long distances. What helped me the most were liberal amounts of baby powder. You may also want to consider wearing biking type shorts underneath, this will help to keep everything from rubbing together.

ctenidae

Beaudreaux's Butt Paste, or Bag Balm. Either will help avoid a shaff.
I find that baby ppoweder or its variants) generally turns into an uncomfortable paste eventually.

BeanoNYC

andyzee said:
You may also want to consider wearing biking type shorts underneath, this will help to keep everything from rubbing together.

Yes...you don't want the boys bouncing around. :smash:

SkiDog

BeanoNYC said:
BEST THREAD EVER!!!!!

Around here we call what you have "Chub Rub." I agree with skidog that Gold Bond Powder, GREEN BOTTLE will prevent it. Be warned though .... there will be a party in your pants for the first 10 minutes of application.

...oh yeah and some wicking boxer briefs will help as well.

hmmm my bottles Yellow...and I will agree with the "party in the pants" after application..its the menthol..

I use it now regularly....either way GOLD BOND.....

M

BeanoNYC

SkiDog said:
hmmm my bottles Yellow...and I will agree with the "party in the pants" after application..its the menthol..

I use it now regularly....either way GOLD BOND.....

M

Yellow is too mellow. Green is the extra strength...give it a try, you won't be sorry. :flag:

SkiDog

BeanoNYC said:
Yellow is too mellow. Green is the extra strength...give it a try, you won't be sorry. :flag:

NICE...hitting the CVS on the way home....THANKS...

Like "extra strength"

HA

M

JimG.

Staff member
ctenidae said:
Beaudreaux's Butt Paste, or Bag Balm.

Are these names for real? Cause if they are I have to go to CVS and pick up a bottle of each just for the comic value.

BeanoNYC

JimG. said:
Are these names for real? Cause if they are I have to go to CVS and pick up a bottle of each just for the comic value.

Oh, I'd love to see the awkwardness at the cash register...kinda like a 16 y/o kid buying condoms for the first time.

Zand

I've had this a few times... I had it bad one year when I played soccer. It was frickin horrible that time. Whenever I go to amusement park now... the chlorine in the water sets it off, but its pretty minor and goes away after a nice shower and keeping it dry for a day or so. But damn, the one I had that one year was absolutely horrible.

Vortex

I have seen Bag balm, but asking for butt paste. Just could not do it. If I was the sales clerk I would just laugh and go get a new job. I might ask a few questions before I got fired.

JimG.

Staff member
BeanoNYC said:
Oh, I'd love to see the awkwardness at the cash register...kinda like a 16 y/o kid buying condoms for the first time.

I kind of enjoy these situations...I was proud when I walked into CVS and purchased condoms the first time. I think the whole store knew why I was there and I would have notified the newspapers if I could have convinced them to care.

Although I have to admit that I need to work on a non-embarrassing way to ask where the butt paste is.

BeanoNYC

JimG. said:
I kind of enjoy these situations...I was proud when I walked into CVS and purchased condoms the first time. I think the whole store knew why I was there and I would have notified the newspapers if I could have convinced them to care.

Although I have to admit that I need to work on a non-embarrassing way to ask where the butt paste is.

This may be an easier way to buy it. You may get some weird looks from your mail carrier. :-D

btw...Oprah endorses it; it must be good.

madman

I had the same problem in the past tried all kinds of solutions none worked. I worked with a Vietnam vet and he told me the cure for jungle rot! Thats what they called it NO UNDERWEAR , loose breathable cloths, Wash & Dri* when ever you can. This has worked for me hiking for over 20 yrs .Let the boys go free