• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

longest pair of boards you ever used?

sledhaulingmedic

I owned a pair of K2 5 Comp DH's that were 222cm. You had to break the sound barrier before they would turn without "hopping" them.

I still have a pair of Rossi Super G's from about 1985 that are 215. The bindings are servicable. I keep threatening to take them out.

The last two seasons, I've skied a lot on B5 Metrons and M11 Metrons and they are almost embarassingly short for someone of my height and um, build. I think the B5's are 162's and I'm never wanting for more edge. In really deep fluff I could use a little more floatation, but overall, they're fine.

The rest of the quiver is 175 - 190. Until two years ago, I hadn;t skied anything shorter than 185 since 1971.

kbroderick

I've got a pair of 215cm Rossi DH boards in the corner waiting for the right opportunity, and I skied on a borrowed pair of 217 Atomic ARC (red sled) DH boards the year before I got my own DH boards (the aforementioned Rossis). I've also got a pair of early-80s K2 DH boards at my parents place that come in around 215; I picked those up at a swap to use as race-day warmup skis (as I hate warming up on a shorter pair of skis with more sidecut and then switching to less sidecut and/or more length).

The Rossis don't turn very well below 35 MPH or so, and the K2s just don't turn very much. I remember getting airborne on the latter after cresting a roll during warmups at Sugarloaf and looking down because something felt a little odd--I never actually got the feeling one would expect when lifting off--that's how damp they were.

For this year, I'm planning on going with a 162cm Rossi Z9 (unless I can't put an AT binding on it, in which case I'll be looking for another ski of similar dimensions). For what it's worth, I'm 5'9" and around 165 lbs, I've got a racing background, and I'm convinced that at least 90% of the skis I've been on in the past have been too long for me and all except my Rossi Course E's (which were cut) and my hopefully-soon-retired Rossi Soft boots have been too stiff. Skiing on a short, soft pair of skis with a soft pair of boots over the past couple of years was one of the better things I've done for my skiing.

skibum9995

I currently have a pair of 175's which are the longest I've ever owned, I'm 5' 6" 135 lbs. I used some 195 Authiers that used to be my grandfathers once for fun.

198 K2 El Caminos which I purchased back in 1998..They were the skis that came with the VW Jetta K2....with the Wood-Grain..I think they were $500 with Marker M51 Graphite Binders..

I've also owned 4 pairs of 195s..

Pre M5a's
Pre M6a's
Rossi Vipers
Saloman X-tremes//

WoodCore

Not the longest I've ever skied but here's your's truly skiing a pair of 205cm Blizzard Thermo SL's in a bump competition, late 80's.

AS0001.jpg

That was a great ski!!!

awf170

She knows her shit and was telling me i should drop down to a 165 or less.

Seeing how you ski bumps, I would say no way to that. I weigh 130-135 and feel that I would like something slightly longer than my 168's for the bumps, as long as the sidecut was minimal. Especially if the ski you're going to get is a skinny bump ski, I would say that 165 or less would be pretty terrifying when going over 20 mph.

wa-loaf

Had several pairs of K2's in 204 and 205 legnths. Still have a pair of 198 K2 Merlin V's. Current ski is a 178.

KevinF

I had a pair of Rossignol 7SK's (their black-and-yellow slalom ski of the 90s) in the 198 length. That's it for me -- shaped skis came along just before I graduated to the 200+ cm club. :grin:

hrstrat57

my former favorite skis of all time were 1989 205 Olin RTS w/ Look z9 turntables.

I have also owned and ski'd regularly Olin DXK 205 w sal 997 equipe(orange and flat out gorgeous), Rossignol 7gk 208 w/ Marker MRR(purplepeople eaters) and K2 TNC 207 w/ Looks/ Plakes rig of choice at the time.

In myski instructor days I pro formed and owned many pair of Rossignol 4sk mostly in 203 and a couple of pair of 200's. Most of the Olins were pro formed too.

I still have a mint pair of 203's with sal 957 equipes....my ownly remaining straight skis. About a dozen went in a dumpster last month. Had been holding onto them to build an adirondack chair...it wasn't gonna get done. Pulled off all the old racing bindings and sold them on ebay first of course...most still indemnified.

My weapon of choice in h.s. was the Head standard 7"(approx 212 I think) w/ Look Nevadas, Orange lange flo's completed that cool rig:flag:

Trekchick

I had a pair of 187cm Dynastars in the mid 90's, just about the time shaped skis were coming around. But I decided to buy the straight skis because I figured the shaped skis were going to be a fad:roll:

I still like a ski that's longer than recommended for me, but then I'm just difficult.

Hawkshot99

My longest ski ever is on its way to me now. 178 Scott Mission.

I have skied on a friends Atomic Crimson's, that I think wear 178. I prefer a bit longer.

gorgonzola

210 RD Coyotes 1989 I loved those skis and skii'd 'm about 10-15 days a year for the better part of 10 years til I bought into the shaped ski trend

JimG.

Staff member
221cm Stockli Mustangs. Made from solid hickory with nailed on metal edges. Cable bindings. Circa 1945.

My mom's original skis. Used them in 1969 when I was 11.