• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hurricane Irene

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Just woke up. At my house, The Pemi is at least 5-6' higher than I have ever seen it flood in the past four years. Our field floods many times a year, but you could wade through the flooded field at knee deep usually. Right now, the trees look like bushes as I can't see their trunks. Probably more than 5-6' higher than anything I have seen before, that estimate would only assume there are no branches underwater on the trees which there probably are. Gotta find out if 175A flooded or if I need an alt route to work today.

Glenn

I'm saddened by the damage in SoVT. Saw a lot of FB updates yesterday of the damage. We spoked with our neighbors in Dummerston last night and everything seem OK with out place. That's a releif since we have a stream running through the backyard. Our next door neighbor said she took pics because it go really really high at one point.

My wife spoke with the daughter of a neighbor who lives up behind us. She told my wife that allegedly, the Williamsville Covered bridge in South Newfane had washed away. They just rebuilt the bride last year. The Dummerston Covered bridge of route 30 was closed becaue the center support was damaged. No word yet on how that's holding up. Route 30 was shut in the Newfane area because flooding by the Rock River (I want to say it was shut a few miles north of Maple Valley.)

Still without power in CT. My buddy had an extra generator and let us borrow it. We're the only part of town that's still dark. We've never been without power this long.

Hope everyone here is doing OK.

ctenidae

Down in Norwalk we did OK. Water was chest deep on some parts of the island, but our house is on the highest natural piece of ground, and the water only covered the first porch step. It's about knee deep in the basement, and the sump pump's fried, so that's fun.

3 of us pulled our boats into the marsh on teh leeward side of the island, no big problems. I have about 6 inches of rain water in mine, one guy's stern anchor held too well, adn he shipped a lot of water in, but we pumped it out, and the other guy's stern anchor let loose and his boat ended up in a yard. Fortunately we got to it soon enough to push it back into the water- 1/2 an hour more, and we wouldn't have been able to do that.

bvibert

Staff member
We got lucky, no storm damage and we kept our power throughout without even a flicker.

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
Just learned that the Killington base lodge collapsed. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, forget about Route 4 in Killington. It's gone.

Here's part of it:

6092977828_da9ac1cdcf.jpg

SkiDork

I wonder how Dork's boat fared...

-w

luckily my boat survived with nary a scratch. About half the boats in the marina were pulled, put up right behind the docks, so if they floated they would have ended up in my boat. There was a lot of seaweed on the parking lot, so the water did come up that high. One dock got damaged. But all in all I was lucky. Shoulda taken pics yesterday but forgot.

Glenn

steamboat1

I never liked when they built that addition to the Killington base lodge. It was closed most of the time during the week anyway & had waitress service only dining on weekends. Maybe now they'll rebuild the open air deck that was once there. That's what I'd like to see.

Last edited:

jrmagic

I never liked when they built that addition to the Killington base lodge. It was closed most of the time during the week anyway & had waitress service only dining on weekends. Maybe now they'll rebuild the open air deck that was once there. That's what I'd like to see.

Steve is that you?? Its John from noreast

legalskier

View of the Schoharie Valley in the Catskills-
Schoharie_Valley.jpg

Link: http://ibankcoin.com/news/2011/08/28/a-devastating-view-at-schoharie-valley/
The Gilboa Dam (120' tall) is holding: http://centralny.ynn.com/content/top_stories/555239/flood-waters-threaten-gilboa-dam/

There's terrible flooding all along Route 28.

A woman was killed in Fleischmanns when her motel room next to a stream collapsed. http://online.wsj.com/article/AP42af822bf20d47faaa59a1228a1217e0.html

The aftermath in Windham:
Screen%20shot%202011-08-29%20at%209.17.06%20AM.img_assist_custom-480x288.png

Link: http://www.watershedpost.com/

My town in NJ got hammered along the river; water reached the 500 year level on the flood zone map. Fortunately, my house sits just above it. Here's a pic of two responders in the train station lot looking towards a main road:
9945174-standard.jpg

Last edited:

polski

Website
twitter.com
Hoping King M (Golden Lion Riverside Inn) and his "competition" across the street (Hostel Tevere) are OK. Mad River crested just a few inches below the 1927 record and the MRV got hammered. I know King M's place wasn't called "Riverside" for nothing; don't know if the hostel was much higher, though at least they're a little farther from the river. No updates on either place's websites.

Lots of info at https://www.facebook.com/MRVpostIrene including a link to a video of the Mad River just about up to the road at the bridge on 100 just south of the Golden Lion.

From reports I've read, the mountains themselves fared OK (MRG, Sugarbush except for snowmaking pond damage, Magic) but there's mind-boggling damage in the valleys. Among other things, sadly, The Alchemist in Waterbury is "completely totaled."

bvibert

Staff member
Hoping King M (Golden Lion Riverside Inn) and his "competition" across the street (Hostel Tevere) are OK. Mad River crested just a few inches below the 1927 record and the MRV got hammered. I know King M's place wasn't called "Riverside" for nothing; don't know if the hostel was much higher, though at least they're a little farther from the river. No updates on either place's websites.

Lots of info at https://www.facebook.com/MRVpostIrene including a link to a video of the Mad River just about up to the road at the bridge on 100 just south of the Golden Lion.

From reports I've read, the mountains themselves fared OK (MRG, Sugarbush except for snowmaking pond damage, Magic) but there's mind-boggling damage in the valleys. Among other things, sadly, The Alchemist in Waterbury is "completely totaled."

You're right, I didn't think about KingM. I hope he and his family are alright, and that the Golden Lion didn't see too much damage!