• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hurricane Irene

deadheadskier

Staff member
Right now, I need to make arrangements to get my boat hauled.

when can you cancel last minute?

The things are so unpredictable. I was living in Florida during Hurricane Charlie. It was tracking to go straight into Tampa Bay, then at the last minute hooked right into Port Charlotte and nuked the place. I was 20 miles northwest of the eye of that storm and there was barely any damage at all.

drjeff

when can you cancel last minute?

The things are so unpredictable. I was living in Florida during Hurricane Charlie. It was tracking to go straight into Tampa Bay, then at the last minute hooked right into Port Charlotte and nuked the place. I was 20 miles northwest of the eye of that storm and there was barely any damage at all.

As for cancelling the hauling of the boat last minute. Well in the harbor where Geoff keeps his boat, there are literallly hundreds of boats moored there. My guess is that the travel lift will pretty much be in use 24/7 starting today. And many times what a yard will do is clear the docks 1st so that they can have a queue of boats usually on a mooring at the docks and ready to haul as soon as the travel lift is done putting the boat just hauled onto it's cradle/blocks. It's a BIG process, and my guess is the phone at the boatyard is ringing off the hook this am with a combo of "just haul my boat" to "what do you think?" to "can someone please go add about 20 lines to my boat since there's no way I can make it there before Irene arrives?"

Charlie was crazy! My parents Florida place in in Port Charlotte right by the Myakka River. Their house that was less than a year old when Charlie roared through had little more than a few small palm trees tipped over fortunately. But parts of Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda were amazing to see the devastation when I went down there about a month later.

TheBEast

This sucks..... Headed to Brewster on the Cape for the week starting on Sunday.....this damn storm better blow out to SEA DAMN YOU!!

drjeff

This sucks..... Headed to Brewster on the Cape for the week starting on Sunday.....this damn storm better blow out to SEA DAMN YOU!!

Well on the brightside, if Irene stays close to what the hurricane center is thinking now, you won't have much traffic getting ONTO the Cape on Sunday ;) (as long as they haven't closed the bridges yet)

TheBEast

Well on the brightside, if Irene stays close to what the hurricane center is thinking now, you won't have much traffic getting ONTO the Cape on Sunday ;) (as long as they haven't closed the bridges yet)

Shouldn't the traffic not be so bad any way mid-day on Sunday going to the cape? Rental opens at 2pm in Brewster.

Do you know of any web sites that have traffic cams of the bridge or report closures if there are any? Oh I can see this getting WAY complicated if we can't even get to the cape!

Grassi21

We are heading up on Saturday so we shouldn't have an issue getting on the Cape. Looks like Saturday and Sunday could be wet ones but the rest of the week should be nice and sunny. Look on the bright side!

TheBEast

We are heading up on Saturday so we shouldn't have an issue getting on the Cape. Looks like Saturday and Sunday could be wet ones but the rest of the week should be nice and sunny. Look on the bright side!

I'm optomistic that we'll be okay, just throws a bit of a monkey wrench in things if we're looking at more than a day or two stuck inside because of fowel weather. WIth two small kids the amount of stuff we have to bring just grows and grows if you have to add more stuff for them to do inside if it's crummy outside. On the bright side I guess we'll have some waves to work with ;-)

Cannonball

Fun stuff.

I have 2 big work floats, 3 boats, a ton of random gear, and 1/2 million baby oysters to haul/move/secure by Saturday night.

Plus I'm organizing an outdoor benefit concert for Saturday night with tents etc. No idea what to do about that.

Plus my office will likely have 1-2' of seawater in it on the midnight high tide Sun/Mon.

Almost exactly 1 year ago we had a similar storm moving up the coast. I went through all of the crap above for that one....and it fizzled. Damn if you do, damned if you don't.

drjeff

Fun stuff.

I have 2 big work floats, 3 boats, a ton of random gear, and 1/2 million baby oysters to haul/move/secure by Saturday night.

Plus I'm organizing an outdoor benefit concert for Saturday night with tents etc. No idea what to do about that.

Plus my office will likely have 1-2' of seawater in it on the midnight high tide Sun/Mon.

Almost exactly 1 year ago we had a similar storm moving up the coast. I went through all of the crap above for that one....and it fizzled. Damn if you do, damned if you don't.

SOOO much better to be prepared and have it all have been for nothing that to not be prepared and be left with nothing!

Or in a joking way, as my grandfather used to say about his boats and hurricane prep. "Cut the number of line in half and DOUBLE your insurance!" :)

Grassi21

I'm optomistic that we'll be okay, just throws a bit of a monkey wrench in things if we're looking at more than a day or two stuck inside because of fowel weather. WIth two small kids the amount of stuff we have to bring just grows and grows if you have to add more stuff for them to do inside if it's crummy outside. On the bright side I guess we'll have some waves to work with ;-)

The bayside is usually really calm in respect to waves... This storm should definitely make the waves a bit more interesting. There is a movie theater in Harwich and a duck pin bowling place in Orleans... A couple of options for you and the little ones.

TheBEast

The bayside is usually really calm in respect to waves... This storm should definitely make the waves a bit more interesting. There is a movie theater in Harwich and a duck pin bowling place in Orleans... A couple of options for you and the little ones.

Yeah the bayside where we are staying should be relatively quiet I think in terms of waves, ocean side should be interesting.

Girls are 3 1/2 and 9 months, so movies aren't really an options, but bowling (do they have candle pin?) might be for the older one.

This is our first real vacation with the girls that we've been looking forward to all summer, so just stinks that the one week out of the whole summer we now have the potential to have a hurricane come through!! What timing. But seeing that we're still a number of days out and the thing hasn't really gone anywhere in the last couple days we've still got some room for this thing to fizzle or blow out to sea or change it's course, so we've got time on our side at least.

Grassi21

Yeah the bayside where we are staying should be relatively quiet I think in terms of waves, ocean side should be interesting.

Girls are 3 1/2 and 9 months, so movies aren't really an options, but bowling (do they have candle pin?) might be for the older one.

This is our first real vacation with the girls that we've been looking forward to all summer, so just stinks that the one week out of the whole summer we now have the potential to have a hurricane come through!! What timing. But seeing that we're still a number of days out and the thing hasn't really gone anywhere in the last couple days we've still got some room for this thing to fizzle or blow out to sea or change it's course, so we've got time on our side at least.

Actually I think it is candle pin...

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

Isn't it possible that they won't even let you onto the Cape if the storm is bearing down?

TheBEast

Isn't it possible that they won't even let you onto the Cape if the storm is bearing down?

Not sure, maybe. Now looking like the main part of the storm might not hit until sometime Monday, so we'll have to watch it and plan accordingly. So don't need this extra stress for this trip.....

drjeff

There are times when due to high winds that they do close the bridges to the Cape for a few hours. Often happens a couple of times a year during strong Nor'easters

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Not sure, maybe. Now looking like the main part of the storm might not hit until sometime Monday, so we'll have to watch it and plan accordingly. So don't need this extra stress for this trip.....

I hear ya. Seems like stress is what family vacations are all about sometimes. :razz:

I asked this on SJ, I'll ask it here too; If we use the combined hot air from a recent Cannon thread could we perhaps blow this out to sea? :lol: