• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hurricane Irene

MommaBear

.....this damn storm better blow out to SEA DAMN YOU!!

I think that is a first for the ski board. Usually people are mad if the storm heads out to sea!

Have a sister moving from England, stateside to Maryland, with her family (8 kids) end of this week. First an issue with their rental house forcing them to stay in a hotel when they arrive, then the earthquake, and now a hurricane. Will be interesting to see if she ever gets on that plane in England or just bags the whole move!

thetrailboss

Staff member
You know, it will be like old times. Make some popcorn, flip between CNN and TWC as this thing clobbers those poor suckers on the coast...wait, what's that? It is likely to hit Northern New England as well? :eek:

john1200c

I am kind of laughing a bit, as one of my assistants has tickets for Sunday show of the Kenny Chesney/Country Music Festival at Gillette Stadium. Supposed to start at 5PM, just about when this morning's NOAA update has Irene pretty much right over SE New England. She's gone from an outfit of a country dress and cowboy boots to full all out goretex wrap and big rain boots!

Show has been moved to Friday....

ALLSKIING

Staff member
We are heading up on Saturday so we shouldn't have an issue getting on the Cape. Looks like Saturday and Sunday could be wet ones but the rest of the week should be nice and sunny. Look on the bright side!
Chris...if this thing stays on this path and hits the coast as a cat 2 storm you wont have any power to enjoy the rest of the week...Just food for thought.

Grassi21

Chris...if this thing stays on this path and hits the coast as a cat 2 storm you wont have any power to enjoy the rest of the week...Just food for thought.

We don't need power on the beach.... Hoping for the best...

Geoff

As for cancelling the hauling of the boat last minute. Well in the harbor where Geoff keeps his boat, there are literallly hundreds of boats moored there. My guess is that the travel lift will pretty much be in use 24/7 starting today. And many times what a yard will do is clear the docks 1st so that they can have a queue of boats usually on a mooring at the docks and ready to haul as soon as the travel lift is done putting the boat just hauled onto it's cradle/blocks. It's a BIG process, and my guess is the phone at the boatyard is ringing off the hook this am with a combo of "just haul my boat" to "what do you think?" to "can someone please go add about 20 lines to my boat since there's no way I can make it there before Irene arrives?"

Charlie was crazy! My parents Florida place in in Port Charlotte right by the Myakka River. Their house that was less than a year old when Charlie roared through had little more than a few small palm trees tipped over fortunately. But parts of Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda were amazing to see the devastation when I went down there about a month later.

I'm all lined up to move the boat tomorrow morning if the storm track is still pointed right at me.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You should just gas that baby up, cruise up to Great Bay and park it up near Dover along the Cocheco. Should be fine. ;)

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..

Got enough Gas for my Generator for a week! Only thing it cant run is the central air. Let it roll! My son is going up to school a day early to beat the storm. We are good to go...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
You guys with boats in the water have definite inconvenience there. Those of us working in higher education with any connection to getting an institution ready with students moving back (and students and their parents traveling) have a pretty major suck scenario brewing. Add in some power outages and I'll be hating life at about noontime on Sunday. Can't wait!

WJenness

Crucial info for everyone following this thread:

Hurricane recipe
1 oz vodka
1/4 oz grenadine syrup
1 oz gin
1 oz light rum
1/2 oz Bacardi® 151 rum
1 oz amaretto almond liqueur
1 oz triple sec
grapefruit juice
pineapple juice

Pour all but the juices, in order listed, into a hurricane glass three-quarters filled with ice. Fill with equal parts of grapefruit and pineapple juice, and serve.

Serve in: Hurricane glass

WJenness

Crucial info for everyone following this thread:

Hurricane recipe
1 oz vodka
1/4 oz grenadine syrup
1 oz gin
1 oz light rum
1/2 oz Bacardi® 151 rum
1 oz amaretto almond liqueur
1 oz triple sec
grapefruit juice
pineapple juice

Pour all but the juices, in order listed, into a hurricane glass three-quarters filled with ice. Fill with equal parts of grapefruit and pineapple juice, and serve.

Serve in: Hurricane glass

Glenn

Ugh! Looks like this is tracking a bit further west. Not sure how strong it'll be when it reaches us.

Probably gonna run up to VT and make sure everything is buttoned up tight....then grab the chainsaw and safety gear, head back to CT and hope for the best.

SkiDork

I got an email from my insurance company. My boat insurance pays 50% of my hauling costs.

Geoff, how sheltered is the mooring? Aren't you better off on the hook than on land, where it could blow off the blocks?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wonder if the local Triumph Boat dealers are leaving some boats in the water to capture their 'indestructability'.