• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hurricane Irene

thetrailboss

Staff member
From MWO's FB page:

297641_10150276209649685_11654109684_7969050_3091516_n.jpg

We're keeping our eye on Irene! It may be 3-4 days into the future, but the possible impending danger that is Hurricane Irene is keeping our attention, as it could directly affect New England this weekend. As of this time, Sunday looks mighty interesting across most of New England, with torrential rains and gusty winds a possibility. Keep checking back here and on our website in the coming days for more information on how Irene may affect the area.

Geoff

Geoff, how sheltered is the mooring? Aren't you better off on the hook than on land, where it could blow off the blocks?

I'm in a slip. My contract requires that I get the heck out for tropical storms. I'd rather be on the hard than on a mooring I don't trust. ...and I was offered several moorings yesterday. It's a 5,000 pound boat. It's not going to blow off the stands.

My boat insurance pays half the hauling charge for this so it's not like this is costing me much.

SkiDork

I'm in a slip. My contract requires that I get the heck out for tropical storms. I'd rather be on the hard than on a mooring I don't trust. ...and I was offered several moorings yesterday. It's a 5,000 pound boat. It's not going to blow off the stands.

My boat insurance pays half the hauling charge for this so it's not like this is costing me much.

So the marina is sheltered? I'm guessing the only danger then would be tide?

SkiDork

Just spoke to the marina. They're recommending staying in rather than hauling. I'll double line and check auto bilge etc. And hope for the best.

Geoff

So the marina is sheltered? I'm guessing the only danger then would be tide?

The harbor is sheltered unless it's really blowing out of the southeast. In a huge blow, boats in the marina end up ripping out the pilings. That happened in Hurricane Bob and they spent the next 9 months replacing pilings at every dock in the harbor. This time around, all the boats have to get out.

drjeff

Don't worry. You won't have power either.

Actually with the shift West in the track over the last 24 hours, the Cape might actually fair pretty well. The winds will be blowing for sure, but the Cape now could be looking at winds much closer to low end tropical storm force winds (35-50) rather than low end hurricane winds (75-90) and that would make a HUGE difference in powerline damage.

If it stays on the track that the consensus of the models seem to be thinking now, where the eye heads up West of Hartford, there's a good chance that the hurricane force winds won't make it much further East than the general area of the CT/RI border.

Glenn

Ran out to grab another bar for the ol' Stihl saw. Store was all sold out of residential generators...commercial only in stock. A guy at the office said the local Home Depot is out of batteries. I refuse to go to any store. Even if the power is out for a day or two, I'm sure we'll be OK with what we already have at home.

Grassi21

Actually with the shift West in the track over the last 24 hours, the Cape might actually fair pretty well. The winds will be blowing for sure, but the Cape now could be looking at winds much closer to low end tropical storm force winds (35-50) rather than low end hurricane winds (75-90) and that would make a HUGE difference in powerline damage.

If it stays on the track that the consensus of the models seem to be thinking now, where the eye heads up West of Hartford, there's a good chance that the hurricane force winds won't make it much further East than the general area of the CT/RI border.

Best news I have heard all day... Hoping this comes to fruition.

Geoff

It depends on which weather model you are using.

THE NEW OFFICIAL TRACK HAS BEEN NUDGED WEST AS WELL. THE NEW
FORECAST LIES BETWEEN THE GFS AND ECMWF...AND IS A LITTLE RIGHT OF
THE TVCA CONSENSUS. SINCE IRENE IS SUCH A LARGE TROPICAL
CYCLONE...SIGNIFICANT IMPACTS ARE LIKELY ALONG THE UNITED STATES
EAST COAST REGARDLESS OF THE EXACT TRACK IT TAKES.

drjeff

NOAA said that the forecast for inland NE was "tropical storm winds" of 35-75. One hell of a range there.....

Gotta look at the size of the wind shield on Irene now. Tropical storm force winds extend out almost 250 miles from the eye and with the extent of the winds covering a greater surface area to the East of the eye. If the track stays where they're thinking now, conceivably all of New England, maybe with the exception of far Northern and Eastern Maine could see either hurricane or tropical storm force winds from Irene :eek: Impressive to say the least. Rain wise, if the track stays, then the Hudson River Valley watershed will get more water than the Connecticut River Valley watershed.

And I'm guessing that a decent number of school kids whose 1st day(s) are next Monday and beyond might very well start the year off with the equivalent of an AUGUST "snowday" that they'll hopefully wish they didn't have to use this winter do to a plentiful snow season!

Black Phantom

Someone should tell the assholes that are crowding all the stores buying shit like it is the end of the world. Gallons of bottled water... Isn't it going to rain?:smash:

We were going to go to the Cape but may hit Brant Rock instead for the day on Saturday for some wave action. :cool:

I live stumbling distance to bars and liquor stores as well as other small businesses. They all accept cash. I think we will be just fine.:snow::flag::uzi:

Boats are a different story.

Geoff

Thankfully not as strong and not as quick moving... <crosses fingers>

-w

"not quick moving" is a very, very bad thing. The slower the storm moves, the bigger the storm surge. The footprint of this hurricane is enormous. Couple that with a moon high tide this weekend. The storm surge could be double digits for hundreds of miles of coastline. It's not the wind, it's the seawater.

Cannonball

Someone should tell the assholes that are crowding all the stores buying shit like it is the end of the world. Gallons of bottled water... Isn't it going to rain?:smash:

We were going to go to the Cape but may hit Brant Rock instead for the day on Saturday for some wave action. :cool:

I live stumbling distance to bars and liquor stores as well as other small businesses. They all accept cash. I think we will be just fine.:snow::flag::uzi:

Boats are a different story.

I live stumbling distance to Brant Rock. Not likely to see decent waves by Saturday. Should be picking up Sunday. Not that Brant Rock is a bad place to be anyway.

Cannonball

"not quick moving" is a very, very bad thing. The slower the storm moves, the bigger the storm surge. The footprint of this hurricane is enormous. Couple that with a moon high tide this weekend. The storm surge could be double digits for hundreds of miles of coastline. It's not the wind, it's the seawater.

It IS the wind...AND the seawater.