• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hurricane Irene

Black Phantom

Yeah, it's been 3 days of ass busting. Done now! PBR tallboys calling to me.

On the one had you hate to do it for nothing. On the other hand I'd be plenty happy to see the thing fizzle and not do any damage. But I do like a good storm....

Better safe than sorry. Might take a ride down in a couple hours for the heck of it.

I'll look for the King Cans!:beer:

Geoff

6086445494_e2fc89f9ce_b.jpg

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I just finished bringing everything in.. .all the patio furniture, plants, etc. are finally all in. I also cut teh lawn in the pouring rain since it was so far overdue, b/c I know I won't get to it until Wed. otherwise and it would be out of control.

The only thing still outside is my grill. I'm hoping that stays in place :lol:

I already had a few torrential downpours that brought a huge pile of mulch from my neighbors yard down into my lawn, and my front landscaping island completely washed out already. Looks like I will end up having to buy more mulch this year :roll:

I filled the tub with water and a 5-gallon beer making bucket with drinking water just in case. Charged up my electronics and Kindle in case that's all I'm left with.

Here we go!

gmcunni

latest "official" CT forecast -
Irene is forecast to move up along the New Jersey Coast
early Sunday morning and make landfall in the Stamford area
around 11:00 AM as a Category I hurricane. The first effects
from Irene are still expected to begin this evening with heavier
rain and tropical storm force winds moving into Connecticut
between 10:00 PM and Midnight. Hurricane force winds are
forecast to arrive along the coast at 7:00 AM Sunday morning.
Very heavy rain at times (especially in Western Connecticut)
is expected to continue from midnight tonight through the
passage of the center of Irene around 11:00 AM tomorrow
morning and into the mid-afternoon.

Glenn

SoVT was dead quiet this AM. I went outside with my coffee around 7:30 and it was just about silent...and eerie calm. Sun came out and the humidity went up. I redug the trench by the driveway, took some rocks of the dam in the stream, my wife mowed the lawn, we moved the canoe and a whole bunch of furniture. Put some stuff inside the house. Two hour ride back to CT...nothing really exciting. Except for that dude just outside of Hartford who appeared to have semi lost his camper trailer. Looks like the hitch fell off the frame of his van Dented the hell out of his van and I think some other people were involved.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Evacuation at the shore

We are back home after some days on the NJ seashore in the Seaside Park area. We only got acouple hours on the beach yesterday. We spent most of yesterday boarding up three cottages and bringing things inside fueled entirely by reeb. It’s amazing how much stuff you can fit in a cottage.

Beaches were red-flagged Thursday and Friday. Rip current was wicked strong. Beautiful, gorgeous sunny day in the 80's. Lots of surfers looking good. You'd never know this think a monster was creeping its way up. We took some "before" pics, and someone plans to get some "after" pictures in a couple days.

The police came on the beach yesterday at about 530pm and told us we had to be off the island by 10. The guards pulled the red flags pulled everything off the beach including the boardwalk. When we got back to the cottage, the police were patrolling the shorefront on ATVs checking cottages and telling people to leave. The fire dept. was going around town telling people to leave. There were guys with bullhorns on the beach telling people to book it.

It was ominous in town. It looked like winter. Very few cars remained, no people running, shopping, playing or seeing low-life trolling. The stores and restaurants were all boarded up and there was nary a car to be seen. "Hurricane Sale. Best offer" shouted a sign at a now-shuttered beach ticky tacky store.

So we booked it to my in-law's place near Edison NJ and spent the night. We turned on the TV and watched the TV reporters standing and reporting on conditions that we could just as easily describe.

The parkway and other roads were surprisingly empty at 8pm and so we shot up Parkway at speed. We then left this morning for Mass It wasn’t too bad except for CT where the rain was really heavy. Sharing the road were several convoys of electric company linesman truck traveling east towards southern New England in advance of the storm. Many had PA plates, with an Indiana plate here and there.

Last edited:

ERJ-145CA

I'm in northwestern NJ in the mountains and the rain is coming down in buckets, no wind yet. We have a tropical storm warning in my area and are expecting a lot of wind and rain, I'm on high ground so flooding shouldn't be an issue for us. My main concern is one of the many trees around us falling on the house so my family is all sleeping donwstairs tonight. I'm assuming I'll lose power at some point and of course it could be for a long time. Good luck everybody affected.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I still have power thankfully. We lost a small tree in the front yard and an ornamental tree in the backyard :(

Other than that it's just pouring like a mofo

wa-loaf

Pouring and windy. Lights have been flicker a bit all morning. Otherwise all is cool, kids are playing wii until the power goes. I'm gonna go read a book.

Black Phantom

only a few minutes. The substation went blam which happens now and then. One advantage to living here is that we get high priority repairs

billski you must be carrying on from the Bunker! :-D

I am hearing that the Shawsheen is rising. Basements will be flooding.:evil:

Most of the biking trails will be mud paths for some time.

Winds are blowing strongly in city. Very strongly. Time for a beer and a walk around for some inspection.:-?