• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hurricane Irene

Geoff

I'm not seeing enough rain to have trees come down. I lost power for 45 minutes this morning but, other than the storm surge in the harbor, this is no worse than a nor'easter.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
billski you must be carrying on from the Bunker! :-D

I am hearing that the Shawsheen is rising. Basements will be flooding.:evil:

Most of the biking trails will be mud paths for some time.

Winds are blowing strongly in city. Very strongly. Time for a beer and a walk around for some inspection.:-?

This was thought through and prepared a long time ago. We had some pretty bad flooding about 10 years ago. we have a pretty complete water evac system in the basement. French drain, sump, main sump, backup pump, battery backup pump, submersible pump, water detector with auto-dialer to cell phone and finally paid-up FEMA flood insurance.. The only thing missing is a generator, but the probability of sustained outages is quite small. Entire thing tested twice per year and then again yesterday. Believe it or not, we even built a FEMA disaster kit.
Freaked out, no. Frankly, it didn't cost much at all, when you do it in advance.

We had some idiot plumber install the backflow preventer bass-ackwards, and had another foot in the basement several years ago. All of that has been replace.

As I mentioned yesterday, we boarded up three cottages on the NJ shore on Friday, just three hours short of the mandatory evac, all powered by reeb.

Black Phantom

This was thought through and prepared a long time ago. We had some pretty bad flooding about 10 years ago. we have a pretty complete water evac system in the basement. French drain, sump, main sump, backup pump, battery backup pump, submersible pump, water detector with auto-dialer to cell phone and finally paid-up FEMA flood insurance.. The only thing missing is a generator, but the probability of sustained outages is quite small. Entire thing tested twice per year and then again yesterday. Believe it or not, we even built a FEMA disaster kit.
Freaked out, no. Frankly, it didn't cost much at all, when you do it in advance.

We had some idiot plumber install the backflow preventer bass-ackwards, and had another foot in the basement several years ago. All of that has been replace.

As I mentioned yesterday, we boarded up three cottages on the NJ shore on Friday, just three hours short of the mandatory evac, all powered by reeb.

Pardon me, butt what is reeb? :dunce:

drjeff

Best way to describe Irene at my house in CT is that we've had basically a 6+ hour long thunderstorm like event (without the thunder and lightening) this morning! Waves of heavy wind gusts and heavy rain, then some lulls. I've got a few trees down and have been without power for 3 hours (apparently my town is now 100% without power :eek: ) what concerns me though is some of the posts on facebook that i've seen from my year round Mount Snow area friends - some MAJOR flooding in the Dover/Wilmington area and they still have a few more hours of heavy looking rain on the radar to go :eek:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Best way to describe Irene at my house in CT is that we've had basically a 6+ hour long thunderstorm like event (without the thunder and lightening) this morning! Waves of heavy wind gusts and heavy rain, then some lulls. I've got a few trees down and have been without power for 3 hours (apparently my town is now 100% without power :eek: ) what concerns me though is some of the posts on facebook that i've seen from my year round Mount Snow area friends - some MAJOR flooding in the Dover/Wilmington area and they still have a few more hours of heavy looking rain on the radar to go :eek:

was gonna say, good thing you weren't planning on heading to your other home today.

Willmington_VT_1.jpg

Wilmington_VT_2.jpg

Wilmington_VT_3.jpg

Wilmington_VT_4.jpg

Sotto

Made it though the storm here in New Milford without loosing power so far. The Housatonic River is flooding the banks and Route 7 is underwater. Talking to some of my co-workers at Metro-North there was a mud slide crossing the tracks in the Bronx.

313178_10150781055675581_501560580_20479882_5492718_n.jpg

318869_10150781056020581_501560580_20479889_7963874_n.jpg

301496_10150780919995581_501560580_20477694_5769421_n.jpg

UVSHTSTRM

Holy crap!!!!! I'm guessing that the Honora Winery isn't open today! Stay safe!!

Just heard that the water is to the eves of the roofs in Wilmington, yes that is right, roof level.

UPDATE: just saw some pics and it isn't quite roof level, but 2/3rds the way up and DOT's is nearly getting swept away with the backside of the building buckled in.

Last edited:

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Here in central NH the lights flickered - there was another mighty wind gust - somewhat heavy rain - we made lunch on our electric stove - watched two episodes of House on DVD - there was a less mighty wind gust - the rain stopped. Just waiting for the sun to come out. Might have time for a barbecue. :smile:

But family in CT haven't had power all day and it obviously looks like VT and NY got the bulk of the rain.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I know it is serious in other areas but not even a top ten worst storm of the year in Ashland, NH. Never really heard the wind pick up and the rain is already over. It might have been really heavy for a half hour but otherwise it was a typical heavy storm just of long duration. We have a field below our house along the Pemi and the river is running fast and full with only moderate flooding of the field. I'm heading out for take out. Complete bust for this area.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
I know it is serious in other areas but not even a top ten worst storm of the year in Ashland, NH.

I don't know if I agree with that. Anecdotally it seems like the worst of the summer here. Neighbors measured 4" of rain in only a few hours, and our lawn that was seeded a few months ago washed out late this morning. Pemi is still rising, and friends upstream in Lincoln are reporting flooding.

Last edited:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I was counting the winter, as far as bad storms. And I have driven in two storms in the past two months that were worse. As far as storm damage from wind, rain, and snow.... not too bad. But it seems I need to retract my overall statement as flooding is now becoming a problem in the area. A dam just broke on Route 49 and in the past hour our lower field has flooded worse than I have ever seen.