• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

T.J.Maxx - 11/12 season

gmcunni

stopped in the same TJM i've been going to for weeks. wasn't planning to buy anything but was in teh shopping center so i popped in.

more pants (CB + columbia) and more jackets, include a few Mountain Hardware soft shells. They had a handful of very nice cloudveil (red) jackets. fit nice but wasn't really looking to spend $200.

also had larger assortment of baselayers than previously seen.

o3jeff

stopped in the same TJM i've been going to for weeks. wasn't planning to buy anything but was in teh shopping center so i popped in.

more pants (CB + columbia) and more jackets, include a few Mountain Hardware soft shells. They had a handful of very nice cloudveil (red) jackets. fit nice but wasn't really looking to spend $200.

also had larger assortment of baselayers than previously seen.

So you bought nothing?

BenedictGomez

My son had LAX practice in the lcoal dome last night so stopped into the TJMaxx next door for a quick peak and they had more stock than the one in the city.

Yeah, I discovered the one I hit in VT had probably 5 to 8 times the winter stuff as we have down here. Inventory management fail. You figure out their thinking, "Vermont equals skiing, so lets put all the ski stuff up there", but little do they know that only a small percentage of Vermonters actually ski/snowboard. They'd do better overloading the stores in NYC, Jersey, Boston etc...

jrmagic

Yeah, I discovered the one I hit in VT had probably 5 to 8 times the winter stuff as we have down here. Inventory management fail. You figure out their thinking, "Vermont equals skiing, so lets put all the ski stuff up there", but little do they know that only a small percentage of Vermonters actually ski/snowboard. They'd do better overloading the stores in NYC, Jersey, Boston etc...

I'm [planning on getting some extra gloves for the kids and base layers for us all at the one down here. I will have to see where the nearest one to be in VT is for other apparal/equipement needs.

BenedictGomez

That's not true!

Heck yeah it is. The vast majority of Vermonters* dont ski or snowboard.

*Defined as born and raised, not someone that moved there.

I'm [planning on getting some extra gloves for the kids and base layers for us all at the one down here. I will have to see where the nearest one to be in VT is for other apparal/equipement needs.

If it's anything like the one in St. Albans, you'll do well, they were jam packed with stuff. The racks were so full it was almost annoying, because you'd have to remove something just to create room to check on sizes, etc...

deadheadskier

Staff member

Having had a family home in VT, gone to High School and College in Vermont, actually spent more time living there than anywhere else, I definitely agree with you.

The vast majority of the "True Vermonters" I knew didn't ski or board. This was even true of the Vermonters I encountered working at the ski areas who presumably got a season pass as part of their compensation.

I won't say it's an economic thing either. I knew plenty of Vermonters who snowmachined, which isn't a cheap hobby.

Glenn

I won't say it's an economic thing either. I knew plenty of Vermonters who snowmachined, which isn't a cheap hobby.

My wife and I rented one last year. It was a friggin blast. If we had more time and more money, we'd probably pick up two sleds.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Speaking as "one of those," you're wrong again.....lots of folks do. Don't rely on stereotypes....that's something lots of "flatlanders" do. :dunce: :wink:

Seriously though almost every Vermont kid near a resort has the opportunity to take part in school programs with the mountains. These aren't new. They've been around for decades. And Vermonters don't generally ski on weekends or holidays nor at Stowe or Stratton. Vermonters can be found skiing at places like Burke, Jay, MRG, Bolton, Lyndon Outing Club, Cochran's (billski's favorite), Northeast Slopes, Suicide Six, etc. So you may not see us. Pull into Mount Ellen and count the number of green plates...lots.

And to the underlying point, TJ Maxx as one of the largest retailers, must have some idea what they are doing. I imagine that they found that areas closer to resorts with folks of lower socieoeconomic backgrounds bought more of the ski stuff than folks in more wealthy areas, where folks are more likely to go to EMS, LL Bean, or buy it new. But I don't know...maybe you are in the business and know something I don't (is your last name Penney, Macy, or Marcus? :dunce: )

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Having had a family home in VT, gone to High School and College in Vermont, actually spent more time living there than anywhere else, I definitely agree with you.

The vast majority of the "True Vermonters" I knew didn't ski or board.
This was even true of the Vermonters I encountered working at the ski areas who presumably got a season pass as part of their compensation.

It was one of the things that surprised me most about Vermont when I moved there. As for the pass, I found that most of the Stowe locals that worked at Stowe skied, but that often the folks that worked at Stowe but were from a bit farther away, say Wolcott etc... didnt. God knows I only worked there for the "free" season pass, but I had fun!

Speaking as "one of those," you're wrong again.....lots of folks do. Don't rely on stereotypes....that's something lots of "flatlanders" do. :dunce: :wink:

There is a difference between "lots of folks" and "a preponderance of folks". I'm sure "lots of folks" beekeep, stamp collect, and scuba dive in Vermont too, but not many in actuality. My point was, I guarantee you that many more people (on balance - key distinction here) from the "flatlands" ironically are skiers/boarders than people from Vermont, which is an ironic happenstance given that the skiing is so much better in Vermont. All I'm saying - No need for it to be taken so personal.

As for relying on stereotypes, I'm not. I lived and worked in VT for over 6 years, and my future Mrs. is a Vermonter, so even after living there I'm up there frequently.

TJ Maxx as one of the largest retailers, must have some idea what they are doing. I imagine that they found that areas closer to resorts with folks of lower socieoeconomic backgrounds bought more of the ski stuff than folks in more wealthy areas, where folks are more likely to go to EMS, LL Bean, or buy it new. But I don't know...maybe you are in the business and know something I don't (is your last name Penney, Macy, or Marcus? :dunce: )

I have no idea, and no I dont work in retail. All I know is that even several days after black Friday, that particular TJ Maxx is St. Albans was positively crammed, slammed, and jammed with more ski stuff than we have in Manhattan and what others have said is currently in Boston. But just brainstorming, I'd find it hard to believe that that is a logical inventory management decision, but what do I know, I could be wrong. As for retailer's IQ, Filenes Basement and Symms are a few of TJ Maxx's discounter competitors, currently in bankruptcy liquidation (sad, I love Symms), so mistakes are indeed possible!

thetrailboss

Staff member
There is a difference between "lots of folks" and "a preponderance of folks". I'm sure "lots of folks" beekeep, stamp collect, and scuba dive in Vermont too, but not many in actuality. My point was, I guarantee you that many more people (on balance - key distinction here) from the "flatlands" ironically are skiers/boarders than people from Vermont, which is an ironic happenstance given that the skiing is so much better in Vermont. All I'm saying - No need for it to be taken so personal.

I

My response was to your point that the "vast majority of Vermonters* dont ski or snowboard," which I disagree. To be particular, more than a "slim majority" do ski or snowboard or have done so. I guess it is a difference of time, place, and perspective.

There is no question that "on balance many more people from the flatlands are skiers/boarders." A state of 650,000 versus one with several million there is no question about that. But that's not what you had originally said.

BenedictGomez

There is no question that "on balance many more people from the flatlands are skiers/boarders." A state of 650,000 versus one with several million there is no question about that. But that's not what you had originally said.

Well, I do agree that given a state with 6,500,000 and 650,000 the former is clearly likely to have more skiers than the latter.

But I DID also mean that even if you remove the "size bias" and just go by an average, that a far greater percentage of people from, say, New Jersey, Connecticut, or southern New York are likely to be skiers/boarders, than people born and raised in Vermont, that's the point that you and I disagree on, and I'm surprised you disagree on that, as I believe most Vermonters would be in agreement with me.

Though I do concede that this is slowly changing, and that far more mountains and communities are trying to open the sport and make it as accessible as possible. Little Bolton does a great job with this, for instance, they have after-school "ski club" type programs with a TON of schools in the area, and these sorts of programs have a soft-spot in my heart, as they are the way I learned how to ski.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Though I do concede that this is slowly changing, and that far more mountains and communities are trying to open the sport and make it as accessible as possible. Little Bolton does a great job with this, for instance, they have after-school "ski club" type programs with a TON of schools in the area, and these sorts of programs have a soft-spot in my heart, as they are the way I learned how to ski.

Actually that is going "back to the future" because Vermont, as seen on NELSAP, had lots of community hills that made the sport very accessible. There are still some and almost every kid I grew up with got the chance to learn to ski or ride for cheap and took it.

skiahman

Several Cloudveil RPK jackets in the Downtown Crossing, Boston store, sizes med and large, blue and yellow for anyone in the Boston area that's looking.