• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Foliage in New England

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
I was just up at Stowe today, I think there's some time left assuming the temperature doesn't get too extreme. The birches have turned, however much of the surrounding mountains/valleys are only slightly tinted.

snowkiter

Well, I can't find any youngsters to rake leaves, so the Billygoat will have to do. In fact, I broke down and bought a snowblower this year, too. I've run into so many old-timers and not so old-timers in Fla. (or those that come north in the summer) that state that they don't miss the snow and don't miss shovelling it. Well the winters I spent in Fla. and Ca., I did miss the snow. The endless summer is endless boredom!!! I won't miss the shovelling, though. I now have a good snowblower. As to leaf peeping. I have a cherished cluster of Poplars in my backyard. I don't know why so many consider them weed trees. They turn a great shade of yellow, quake in the wind and remind me so much of the two fall seasons I spent in Colorado watching the Aspen turn.

Mike P.

I was on Windham High Peak on Thursday & there was just a hint of color. I'm heading up this weekend for a short trip Friday afternoon & the Bonds on Saturday. I'll have more infor on 10/1 or 10/2.

Mike P.

An FYI on foliage destinations:

The highest peaks are not really the best destinations, they are way above the color, also from the top, you have firs, spruces & birches up higher. The birches do tend to turn a little earlier & they are all one color.

Pick a destination that has a great view but is low enough so you have a good mix of trees close by

General suggestions: Catskills: Windham High Peak, Wittenburg, Giant Ledge
ADK: Jo, Hurricane, Baxter, Lower of the Three Brothers, Mt. Van
NH: Lakes Region, Mt. Pemi, Sugarloaves, Rogers Ledge, The Horn & (from what I hear) Some of the short trails off Greeley Ponds that go to a view.

IMO, having a pond in the picture adds blue (besides the sky) which is onereason so many calendars have the Chocorua Mt. & lake picture.

Jonni

Mt. Sunapee and Mt Kearsarge may fit the bill for being low enough to see great color. The lift at Sunapee also runs during the fall foliage, so if you don't feel like hiking, or want to hike up and ride down, that is an option as well.

bigbog

Does anyone use their mower/tractor to pick up leaves?
I usually get my leaves with the mower and tractor at the end of the season when I do the last mowing, but I only have some birches and a few smaller trees so I don't have a whole bunch of leaves.
Oh, and you can put me on record as one who hates yard work...I like having a yard, but I really wish it would just take care of itself. :???:
Mowing then raking....only 5 hardwoods on property since cutting the 6th one down...before leaves turned! :spread: . Damp leaves = a good raking day! 1 tree = all turned...75% have dropped....leaves on other 4 haven't turned at all...:roll: May was our 2nd wettest on record.
Couldn't we all go for as much of the white stuff as we had rain in May-June...8)

Last edited:

una_dogger

Vermont Foliage

We are at about 20-35% depending where you are here in Central VT. Leaves are holding steady -- not too many have fallen. Its a crisp 55 degrees tonight about six pm.
Sabrina

Mike P.

Thanks Sabrina for the update from the great soon to be white north, talking 40 for an overnight in CT tonight, possibly the upper 30's.

Regardingtractor, what's a lawn tractor, it's just under an acre with a house in the middle, I just walk & push. The property is surrounded by trees. I hired someone last year to mow/rake. I left one day for work & it was covered in leaves, came home & it was spotless, waited until they were all down. Best $150 I've spent on the yard. Hate raking, don't care for mowing, love shoveling, what can I say, I'm weird.

snowkiter

It's funny, perhaps, but the Blue Hills can offer good folliage views. I may not make it to any other place.

SKIQUATTRO

got rid of the mower/week whacker 2 yrs ago....for $20/week to have the landscaper come with his crew its well worth not having to worry about mowing the lawn....love the fall raking, get some tunes going, sammy ocktoberfest, the fire pit burning, kids rolling in the leaves (maybe with the wifey too if i'm a good boy!!!)...love shoveling, out there at night when its coming down, bottle of cabernet....everyone asleep....love it....

Mike P.

Snowkiter,

I agree there is some great color in many spots that don't make it to the travel destinations. Two of the most common I'm on is Route 85 & Camp Meeting Road (basically the local route from Manchester to Colchester CT) & for limited access highways, Route 2 in spots between Colchester & Glastonbury - on the way to Hartford, has a great display of maples, brights reds & oranges with a few oaks & birches thrown in.

I try to hike once a month & usually in the fall in September & I have an early October Birthday I like to hike on, even if just the local rail trail, but I don't really go with the idea of seeing foliage. If I'm going to be out hiking & driving to the trailhead at a normal hour, I try to pick locations that do not require me driving with a lot of leaf peepers. I either go early or go to a trailhead right off the Interstate, I'm not patient enough to drive behind them for 30 miles on the Kanc.

Mike P.

North of Franconia Notch it was quite a bit past peak & on the Bondcliff trail above 3,000 feet it was thinly covered or gone on 09/30. Since Kancamangus Pass is about that high, if you want color, I'd stay in the Lakes Region or possibly Sunapee & Southern VT for Columbus Day.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
You can find some pics here from VT this past weekend, close to peak. http://killingtonaccessrd.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=50

normal_P9300004.JPG

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
colors were definitely nice at mrg on saturday. i would say the holiday weekend may likely be past peak for most northern areas but still probably pretty good.

NYDrew

Screw the foliage...the sooner its gone, the sooner the winter starts.

Sorry for intruding, hikers. I just really needed to let that one go

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
lol. i am in no rush for winter. it will come when it comes. enjoy all the seasons for what they offer. except summer, summer is only good for hybernation and reading :D

Mike P.

No need to apologize NYDrew, some of the hiking community myself included think the hiking season doesn't start until the snow flies & from Labor Day to Thanksgiving, it's just warm up time.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
The foliage in VT is definitely peaking - not only do those pics show it, but I was up on Camel's Hump this past weekend and the golds in the birch forest are fantastic. The drive up Rte 100 was full of reds and yellows and was spectactular.

Hiking "season"? For me, hiking season is every day, all year long, except those days I'm skiing! :)