• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wtf ?

Cannonball

A Fisher Cat is a badger.

FisherCat.jpg

Well it was a joke anyway....but no. Related (both in the weasel family) but not the same.

gmcunni

Florida firm offers free AK-47s to new customers

CHICAGO (MarketWatch) -- Retail merchant account provider MerchantService.com will give a voucher good for a free AK-47 assault rifle to new customers, depending on the amount of business they do. The company, which provides credit-card-processing services to businesses, announced the promotion as part of its ""No Merchant Victims" campaign that is designed to "encourage merchants to stand their ground and protect themselves," MerchantService.com said. The voucher, worth up to $750 "can be used at any reputable gun shop where [the user] must go through the proper background checks and waiting period that the law requires," said Gino Kauzlarich, president of Sarasota, Fla.-based MerchantService.com, on the company's website.

legalskier

As I went into a Lowes this week I was greeted by a huge display of Christmas trees. I thought, it's September- wtf?

311346_265497103473252_100000388927124_908726_238987871_n.jpg

ctenidae

Bank of America has announced that, starting next year, they'll charge you $5 in any month you use your debit card to make a purchase.

Seriously?

hammer

Bank of America has announced that, starting next year, they'll charge you $5 in any month you use your debit card to make a purchase.

Seriously?
If that applies to all account types then they will lose one customer for sure...

Now I regret getting an account for my son there. I'll have to either get him a CC (yikes!) or switch banks...:angry:

ctenidae

If that applies to all account types then they will lose one customer for sure...

Now I regret getting an account for my son there. I'll have to either get him a CC (yikes!) or switch banks...:angry:

I've more or less stopped using my debit card altogether- instead, I put it all on a points card (Best Buy has been good so far) adn pay it off every month. It's been tough getting used to the effect that has on the bank account, but it seems to be working.

Puck it

Seriously?
That makes no sense but it is a bank. It would a royal pain for us to switch too many accounts.

bvibert

Staff member

Seriously?

Glad I'm not a BoA customer. I hope the other banks don't follow suit.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
That makes no sense but it is a bank. It would a royal pain for us to switch too many accounts.
It makes no sense from the banks perspective. They make money on every debit purchase made. So why would they want to alienate customers from having a debit card and using it? Most banks have types of accounts that require a minimum use of a debit card. $60 a year in fees might be enough to make many leave BOA (which would be a good thing for the customers, because BOA sucks).

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
It makes no sense from the banks perspective. They make money on every debit purchase made. So why would they want to alienate customers from having a debit card and using it? Most banks have types of accounts that require a minimum use of a debit card. $60 a year in fees might be enough to make many leave BOA (which would be a good thing for the customers, because BOA sucks).

http://www.freep.com/article/201109...Tompor-fee-use-your-debit-card-just-beginning

Interesting. The move is based on new regulations that limit debit intercharge fees for large banks. I see what BOA is doing but they are only going to drive customers away to smaller banks that don't have intercharge fee limits. That seems to give smaller banks and unfair competitive advantage (I admit begrudgingly as I think the entire intercharge fee system is quite a scam).

So if you are a BOA customer, do what Cten, myself, and tons of others do... use credit and pay at the end of the month in full and never use debit.

Unintended consequence: retailers pay higher intercharge fees on credit transactions so that they can give their customers points. This is why credit card companies love dead beats that pay off everything every month just as much, if not more, than folks that perpetually don't pay their account off (but don't do as many new transactions either... fewer transactions means fewer fees).

Eventually, someone has to pay for services. You just don't get to use a bank's services for free any more. Pretty much everyone is paying the bank at least some sorta fee these days.

Puck it

http://www.freep.com/article/201109...Tompor-fee-use-your-debit-card-just-beginning

Interesting. The move is based on new regulations that limit debit intercharge fees for large banks. I see what BOA is doing but they are only going to drive customers away to smaller banks that don't have intercharge fee limits. That seems to give smaller banks and unfair competitive advantage (I admit begrudgingly as I think the entire intercharge fee system is quite a scam).

So if you are a BOA customer, do what Cten, myself, and tons of others do... use credit and pay at the end of the month in full and never use debit.

Unintended consequence: retailers pay higher intercharge fees on credit transactions so that they can give their customers points. This is why credit card companies love dead beats that pay off everything every month just as much, if not more, than folks that perpetually don't pay their account off (but don't do as many new transactions either... fewer transactions means fewer fees).

Eventually, someone has to pay for services. You just don't get to use a bank's services for free any more. Pretty much everyone is paying the bank at least some sorta fee these days.

I heard that on the news too. It is a consequence of the legislation that was passed by Congress. The fee is only for basic account holders.