• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wtf ?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I heard that on the news too. It is a consequence of the legislation that was passed by Congress. The fee is only for basic account holders.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/29/pf/bank_of_america_debit_fee/index.htm?hpt=hp_c1

I have BofA too for my personal accounts. I have to say I actually am pretty loyal to BofA only because their online banking system is so very slick. I have several accounts at several other banks and the ease of use isn't even comparable. Their mobile app as well is great.

deadheadskier

Staff member
weird

I have a Bofa credit card. Decent rates, no annual fees and I pay it off every month. So, it costs me $0 for up to 60 day loans from them, yet if I were to have a bank account with them, it would cost me $5 per month to use my own money.

Seems to me that BoFa is looking to get out of consumer banking and just focus on commercial lending. No way I'd keep a regular bank account with them and pay that fee to utilize my debit card.

ctenidae

http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/29/pf/bank_of_america_debit_fee/index.htm?hpt=hp_c1

I have BofA too for my personal accounts. I have to say I actually am pretty loyal to BofA only because their online banking system is so very slick. I have several accounts at several other banks and the ease of use isn't even comparable. Their mobile app as well is great.

I've been with BoA for 14 years (started as a Fleet customer, actually), but more because of the hassle factor involved with switching than any real loyalty. Plus, I've always had this entirely unsubstantiated, and perhaps archaic, notion that the longer you were a customer, the better they'd treat you. Sadly, that's not true in tthe world of MegaCorp.

We only have 2 bank accounts through BoA, plus 2 direct depopsits and a credit card I'll keep with them becuae I've had it for a long time and that's good for the old credit rating, so it's not like it would be all that hard to switch, but the online banking thing is key to me- how bad, compared to BoA, are the others? BoA is pretty good, sure, but, lacking any other bank to compare it to, I don't know that I'd call it "slick." However, if it is that much better, and if the $5 is for basic accounts only, then I suppose I could overcome my moral objection and stick with BoA out of habit and ease.

I'm not a loyal customer, I'm a lazy one...

deadheadskier

Staff member
I find my online banking with Chase for another credit card and my mortgage to be just as user friendly as Bofa.

The online banking through my credit union kinda sucks, but I only need to use it to check my balances. I pay everything by credit card to earn points and then pay them off each month electronically through the credit card account sites, not through my bank.

Puck it

I'm not a loyal customer, I'm a lazy one...

That is the way I feel too. We have savings, two checking accounts, two kid's checking accounts, first mortgage, line credit, overdraft, credit cards, business account and more. Real hassle to switch.

legalskier

135263-ferris-wheel.jpg

Plane flies into ferris wheel; everyone safe.
Link: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/kids-survive-ferris-wheel-plane-crash/story-fn6b3v4f-1226155178395

legalskier

"SWAT Teams in St. Louis Protecting Bank of America; Refusing Customer Withdrawals"

TheBEast

http://www.freep.com/article/201109...Tompor-fee-use-your-debit-card-just-beginning

Interesting. The move is based on new regulations that limit debit intercharge fees for large banks. I see what BOA is doing but they are only going to drive customers away to smaller banks that don't have intercharge fee limits. That seems to give smaller banks and unfair competitive advantage (I admit begrudgingly as I think the entire intercharge fee system is quite a scam).

So if you are a BOA customer, do what Cten, myself, and tons of others do... use credit and pay at the end of the month in full and never use debit.

Unintended consequence: retailers pay higher intercharge fees on credit transactions so that they can give their customers points. This is why credit card companies love dead beats that pay off everything every month just as much, if not more, than folks that perpetually don't pay their account off (but don't do as many new transactions either... fewer transactions means fewer fees).

Eventually, someone has to pay for services. You just don't get to use a bank's services for free any more. Pretty much everyone is paying the bank at least some sorta fee these days.

You can thank the Dodd-Frank for that, that was supposed to protect consumers....sure thing. It is only going to make it more expensive for the every day person to bank. Credit Unions are the way to go in my opinion.

legalskier

High school football player uses tack to injure 27 members of opposing team following game in Ohio
Imagine if his team had lost.
A 16-year-old high school football player in Ohio has been accused of injuring 27 members of an opposing team during a post-game handshake following a game last Friday. The player is believed to have used a tack to cause scratches and puncture wounds on the hands of members of the McClain High School football team following its 26-0 loss to Washington Senior High School....The players all received tetanus shots at the meeting....Another unnamed member of the McClain team told the station that he did not understand why someone would do such a thing, especially after a win.
"I don't understand why anyone would have any incentive to do that," the player said. "We lost anyway."
:dontknow:

Full story: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h...bers_of_opposing_team_foll.html#ixzz1aCCBPAUl

bvibert

Staff member
High school football player uses tack to injure 27 members of opposing team following game in Ohio
Imagine if his team had lost.
A 16-year-old high school football player in Ohio has been accused of injuring 27 members of an opposing team during a post-game handshake following a game last Friday. The player is believed to have used a tack to cause scratches and puncture wounds on the hands of members of the McClain High School football team following its 26-0 loss to Washington Senior High School....The players all received tetanus shots at the meeting....Another unnamed member of the McClain team told the station that he did not understand why someone would do such a thing, especially after a win.
"I don't understand why anyone would have any incentive to do that," the player said. "We lost anyway."
:dontknow:

Full story: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h...bers_of_opposing_team_foll.html#ixzz1aCCBPAUl

Talk about poor sportsmanship!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
You can thank the Dodd-Frank for that, that was supposed to protect consumers....sure thing. It is only going to make it more expensive for the every day person to bank. Credit Unions are the way to go in my opinion.
Gotta love unintended consequences.

The crazy thing right now is the hostility. If BOA really did something terrible, everyone would change banks. But people complain but don't take action. It is not like anyone is forcing people to stay with BOA and pay the fees.

And another thing... should we really get free checking? I have always been amazed at the wealth of services we receive for free from our banks. Some require a minimum balance but my credit unions (always used credit unions) only have required something low like $25 minimum. I get a TON of services from them for free. I get a small interest on my savings but it is so small its not like they are paying me. Savings accounts aren't for generating interest... the best don't even keep up with inflation. Savings accounts are for rainy day funds and someplace safe to keep quickly accessible money. Interest is a bonus, I'd use a savings account with 0% interest. I have other accounts for long term funds that get good interest.

legalskier

Police hunting escaped exotic animals in Ohio
Schools closed and motorists were warned to stay in their vehicles as officers with assault rifles patrolled a rural area in eastern Ohio Wednesday, a day after police killed dozens of escaped animals from a wild-animal preserve, where the owner was found dead....The fences had been left unsecured at the animal farm in Zanesville, about 55 miles east of Columbus, and the animals' cages were open, police said. The preserve had lions, tigers, cheetahs, wolves, giraffes, camels and bears. Police said bears and wolves were among the escaped animals that were killed and there were multiple sightings of exotic animals along a nearby highway....The state requires permits for bears but doesn't regulate the ownership of nonnative animals, such as lions and tigers.
:blink:
Full story: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-10-18/exotic-animals-loose-ohio/50821092/1

gmcunni

World's first Segway park to open in Denmark

http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...ocId=CNG.188728af9d96042bb6e448cbd572c35a.1b1

I don't understand the point of segways to begin with? This further confuses me??

link won't open for me but..

did a segway tour this summer while on a trip. it was a lot of fun. we rode on dirt trails, thru fields, on the road and even did a little jump over a curb in a parking lot. i'll definitely do it again if the opportunity arises.

bvibert

Staff member
link won't open for me but..

did a segway tour this summer while on a trip. it was a lot of fun. we rode on dirt trails, thru fields, on the road and even did a little jump over a curb in a parking lot. i'll definitely do it again if the opportunity arises.

Okay, but would you take a tour of a mini copy of Yellowstone inside of a big building in Denmark?

Not sure why the link isn't working for you??