New Places You've Riden This Year - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

can't tell ya', it's a secret

but I rode two trails I'll never ride again in the past couple weeks. Near my house, I took my milder tired pos Trek down or up the street and headed into the woods. First day I got to where a bridge is supposed to be, and fell off the ledge due to algae on the rocks, while carrying my bike. A week later I found a trail that goes from nothing but rock to nothing but mud. The "nothing but rock" part was not horrible; I was concentrating on lifting the front over boulders, so I was improving technique, which is all I can do. When I got to the mud, my tires went 4 inches wide, mud caked,then I bailed out and walked. Had tracks towards me, noticed shoe marks and what appeared to be a big ass mark in the mud, so I guess someone coming the other way must not have used my mature judgement

This was my first year mtbing. I started while on vacation in Stowe and started checking some of the spots down here in Jersey/NY.

Macutchan Forest, Stowe
    Trapp Family Lodge Trails, Stowe
    Stowe Town Loops
    Ringwood State Park, NJ
    Lewis Morris Park, Morristown, NJ
    Graham Hills, Pleasantville, NY

another secret trail

close to home, I'm near lots of woods. Went down this dead end, found a fire road, it turned into a trail, walked a lot, wet and root and mud and rock. Thought I saw someone walking down another fireroad, and got nervous (very rednecky town) but it was the biggest whitetail I've ever seen, then a huge eagle kept advancing a few trees at a time. Wish this crap would dry out, and I know I better stay the heck out come hunting season.It'll be back to Sessions and Punch Brook come fall...oh wait.. it is fall. Had a little decent trail in here, good "kill an hour" after work stuff.

Rode the soccer fields at Nass for the first time..Also Millers Pond....Planning on Huntington next week...One more month of MTB for me...Then game on for the pow slaying

Steveo

love the soccer fields

that became my base after scoville got closed, which ended up being a blessing in disguise, save the 5 minute longer drive.
    New for me this year was Hurd state park, Cobalt Ct., on the Ct. River. Looks like there's a little funky stuff in there, but I like the highspeed blasts that are available. Seems you climb the hill and the grade is gentle going down, which makes for a long middle chainring descent. Great outcropping on the river as well, and the natives are friendly.
    http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/580358972ZXkfEK

Huntington Park, CT -- nice trail. Felt a bit ashame I've only done it now, 3 years later than I could of.

Wawayanda, NJ -- this is for next Saturday. Another place I wanted to hit but never got around...

Yorktown, NY -- this is new trail network, near where I work. So will definitely be hitting it soon.

[Update]:

Did Wawayando but didn't do Yorktown.

Hit two other local areas: Cunningham at Queens, NY; Irvington Park near Irvington, NY

Robinson SP near Springfield, MA

Consider I haven't been out off-roading much this season, seems I did mosty new areas! (And my season's not done yet, thanks (no thanks?) to the warm weather)
    Last edited by abc; Dec 24, 2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: update

Got a great tour of the offerings at Hemlock Hills/Bennett's Pond in the Danbury area this weekend. Trails are a bit rough in places but none the less some classic technical Connecticut riding. Definitely no shortage of chunky rocks!
    "If you ride your bike everyday...... Your going to be a better rider!"

I live in the center of Maine and this is snowmobile/ATV country. There aren't any actual MTB trails and most hiking trails don't allow bikes. I found a couple of new rides this year.
    1 Acadia NP Easy terrain but scenic as hell riding on the carriage roads and 50 or so miles of them
    2 Logging roads in Barnard/Bowerbank ME Pretty much dead center of state. Good scenery of 100 mile wilderness areas. Tons of logging roads/ATV trail combos to get fast rolling long loops. Easy to get lost if you don't know the area. Lots of wildlife
    3 Logging roads outside Greenville ME Again a maze of roads and lots of wildlife. Saw moose up here quite a bit. Occasional views of Moosehead Lake and surrounding Mtns.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I live in the center of Maine and this is snowmobile/ATV country. There aren't any actual MTB trails and most hiking trails don't allow bikes. I found a couple of new rides this year.
    1 Acadia NP Easy terrain but scenic as hell riding on the carriage roads and 50 or so miles of them
    2 Logging roads in Barnard/Bowerbank ME Pretty much dead center of state. Good scenery of 100 mile wilderness areas. Tons of logging roads/ATV trail combos to get fast rolling long loops. Easy to get lost if you don't know the area. Lots of wildlife
    3 Logging roads outside Greenville ME Again a maze of roads and lots of wildlife. Saw moose up here quite a bit. Occasional views of Moosehead Lake and surrounding Mtns.
    How far away is Dover Foxcroft from Orono/ Bangor? An hour? Have you ever been up there for some riding? The Unversity trails offer HOURS of technical riding with some nice spots of flow thrown in. Might be worth the drive if you have a hankering for singletrack.

Not a whole lot of "new" riding for me this year thanks to the ongoing health issues. The best discovery was the FOMBA network in NH. I am so looking forward to getting back there. Also, the Portland River Trail. (which has some other name which I forget) There is some awesome riding there and it is just a few minutes further than my regular haunt.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    ...........3 Logging roads outside Greenville ME Again a maze of roads and lots of wildlife. Saw moose up here quite a bit. Occasional views of Moosehead Lake and surrounding Mtns.
    Agree tomcat,
    Fwiw:
    1) Have never ridden from Greenville, but suspect trails(how many?) and a logging road now & then in most directions...East, NE/SE & West, SW/NW that go as far as one wishes, my guess.
    2) Bangor's City Forest has both trails, paths, & possiblities.. Always fun after substantial snow for XC.
    3) If by chance way up by Seboomook's western tip(Spring-Fall), (I usually go 4wd, but great winter snowmobiling..) from Pittston Farm....plenty of mtb possibilities with old small logging roads(might wanna include bear spray in case one should, by chance, get between sow & cub).
    $.01
    Last edited by bigbog; Dec 7, 2011 at 10:29 AM.
    SteveD

Thread Information