• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Places You've Riden This Year

WoodCore

The MTB season is far from over regardless what riding areas did you get to explore for the first time this year? I managed a couple new ones and still have at least two on the must ride list.

First time rides this year:

Mianus River Park - Stamford, CT
Grayville Town Park - Hebron, CT
Batchelor Street - Amherst, MA
Huckleberry Hill - Avon, CT
Naugatuck State Forest - Oxford, CT
Great Glen - Jackson, NH
Twin Brooks Park - Trumbull, CT

Still hoping to get a rip or two in at Pine Hill Park and Millstone.

BackLoafRiver

New areas for me:

Lincoln Woods - Lincoln, NH
FOMBA Trails - Auburn, NH
Portland River Trail - Portland, ME (still have more to see here...)

New places I will ride in the near future:

Bear Brook State Park - NH
Hinesburg Town Forest - Hinesburg, VT.
Sleepy Hollow - Hinesburg, VT

A pretty meager list of new stuff this year. I am still trying to make up for lost time with the months of July and August being, essentially, a medical wash. I figure i have just about 2 months left before I retire the bike for the season. Will hit Bear Brook soon(ish) and the stuff in VT on my next trip home.

Hado226

Millers Pond - Ct
*Charlemont Trails - MA

Still counts as new places if you've built the trails right?

bvibert

Staff member
Trumbull - Trumbull, CT

Weaksauce...

I should clarify that the weaksauce comment was in regards to my variety of riding locales this year, not Trumbull itself. Trumbull is most certainly not weaksauce.

Riverskier

Absolutely nowhere! I have ridden only one place all Summer- Bradbury Mountain State Park. With a one year old and other obligations it has been hard to find the time to travel anywhere. I have got out quite a bit though (for me), which is good, and luckily Bradbury kicks ass and is only 10 minutes fom my house. Next Summer I am hoping to get to the Kingdom Trails.

bvibert

Staff member
Do you know if they are still racing over at Indian Ledge? I remember going over and riding the track as a kid.

Like BMX racing? They definitely race BMX somewhere close by, I assume this is the place you're talking about? You can hear the announcer on Tuesday nights throughout parts of the ride.

vdk03

Like BMX racing? They definitely race BMX somewhere close by, I assume this is the place you're talking about? You can hear the announcer on Tuesday nights throughout parts of the ride.

Ya that must be it, I used to race BMX a bit as a kid. I thought I remebered riding trails around their too, its been about 10 or 12 years so I'm a little foggy on the area.

mattm59

Website
community.webshots.com
can't tell ya', it's a secret

but I rode two trails I'll never ride again in the past couple weeks. Near my house, I took my milder tired pos Trek down or up the street and headed into the woods. First day I got to where a bridge is supposed to be, and fell off the ledge due to algae on the rocks, while carrying my bike. A week later I found a trail that goes from nothing but rock to nothing but mud. The "nothing but rock" part was not horrible; I was concentrating on lifting the front over boulders, so I was improving technique, which is all I can do. When I got to the mud, my tires went 4 inches wide, mud caked,then I bailed out and walked. Had tracks towards me, noticed shoe marks and what appeared to be a big ass mark in the mud, so I guess someone coming the other way must not have used my mature judgement:-o

k123

This was my first year mtbing. I started while on vacation in Stowe and started checking some of the spots down here in Jersey/NY.

Macutchan Forest, Stowe
Trapp Family Lodge Trails, Stowe
Stowe Town Loops
Ringwood State Park, NJ
Lewis Morris Park, Morristown, NJ
Graham Hills, Pleasantville, NY

mattm59

Website
community.webshots.com
another secret trail

close to home, I'm near lots of woods. Went down this dead end, found a fire road, it turned into a trail, walked a lot, wet and root and mud and rock. Thought I saw someone walking down another fireroad, and got nervous (very rednecky town) but it was the biggest whitetail I've ever seen, then a huge eagle kept advancing a few trees at a time. Wish this crap would dry out, and I know I better stay the heck out come hunting season.It'll be back to Sessions and Punch Brook come fall...oh wait.. it is fall. Had a little decent trail in here, good "kill an hour" after work stuff.

powhunter

Rode the soccer fields at Nass for the first time..Also Millers Pond....Planning on Huntington next week...One more month of MTB for me...Then game on for the pow slaying

Steveo

mattm59

Website
community.webshots.com
love the soccer fields

that became my base after scoville got closed, which ended up being a blessing in disguise, save the 5 minute longer drive.
New for me this year was Hurd state park, Cobalt Ct., on the Ct. River. Looks like there's a little funky stuff in there, but I like the highspeed blasts that are available. Seems you climb the hill and the grade is gentle going down, which makes for a long middle chainring descent. Great outcropping on the river as well, and the natives are friendly.
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/580358972ZXkfEK

abc

Huntington Park, CT -- nice trail. Felt a bit ashame I've only done it now, 3 years later than I could of.

Wawayanda, NJ -- this is for next Saturday. Another place I wanted to hit but never got around...

Yorktown, NY -- this is new trail network, near where I work. So will definitely be hitting it soon.

[Update]:

Did Wawayando but didn't do Yorktown.

Hit two other local areas: Cunningham at Queens, NY; Irvington Park near Irvington, NY

Robinson SP near Springfield, MA

Consider I haven't been out off-roading much this season, seems I did mosty new areas! :) (And my season's not done yet, thanks (no thanks?) to the warm weather)

Last edited:

WoodCore

Got a great tour of the offerings at Hemlock Hills/Bennett's Pond in the Danbury area this weekend. Trails are a bit rough in places but none the less some classic technical Connecticut riding. Definitely no shortage of chunky rocks! :cool:

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
I live in the center of Maine and this is snowmobile/ATV country. There aren't any actual MTB trails and most hiking trails don't allow bikes. I found a couple of new rides this year.
1 Acadia NP Easy terrain but scenic as hell riding on the carriage roads and 50 or so miles of them
2 Logging roads in Barnard/Bowerbank ME Pretty much dead center of state. Good scenery of 100 mile wilderness areas. Tons of logging roads/ATV trail combos to get fast rolling long loops. Easy to get lost if you don't know the area. Lots of wildlife
3 Logging roads outside Greenville ME Again a maze of roads and lots of wildlife. Saw moose up here quite a bit. Occasional views of Moosehead Lake and surrounding Mtns.

BackLoafRiver

I live in the center of Maine and this is snowmobile/ATV country. There aren't any actual MTB trails and most hiking trails don't allow bikes. I found a couple of new rides this year.
1 Acadia NP Easy terrain but scenic as hell riding on the carriage roads and 50 or so miles of them
2 Logging roads in Barnard/Bowerbank ME Pretty much dead center of state. Good scenery of 100 mile wilderness areas. Tons of logging roads/ATV trail combos to get fast rolling long loops. Easy to get lost if you don't know the area. Lots of wildlife
3 Logging roads outside Greenville ME Again a maze of roads and lots of wildlife. Saw moose up here quite a bit. Occasional views of Moosehead Lake and surrounding Mtns.

How far away is Dover Foxcroft from Orono/ Bangor? An hour? Have you ever been up there for some riding? The Unversity trails offer HOURS of technical riding with some nice spots of flow thrown in. Might be worth the drive if you have a hankering for singletrack.

Not a whole lot of "new" riding for me this year thanks to the ongoing health issues. The best discovery was the FOMBA network in NH. I am so looking forward to getting back there. Also, the Portland River Trail. (which has some other name which I forget) There is some awesome riding there and it is just a few minutes further than my regular haunt.

bigbog

...........3 Logging roads outside Greenville ME Again a maze of roads and lots of wildlife. Saw moose up here quite a bit. Occasional views of Moosehead Lake and surrounding Mtns.

Agree tomcat,
Fwiw:
1) Have never ridden from Greenville, but suspect trails(how many?) and a logging road now & then in most directions...East, NE/SE & West, SW/NW that go as far as one wishes, my guess.
2) Bangor's City Forest has both trails, paths, & possiblities.. Always fun after substantial snow for XC.
3) If by chance way up by Seboomook's western tip(Spring-Fall), (I usually go 4wd, but great winter snowmobiling..) from Pittston Farm....plenty of mtb possibilities with old small logging roads(might wanna include bear spray in case one should, by chance, get between sow & cub).
$.01

Last edited: