• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you wear your ski pants in the Car?

Madroch

Along the line of the previous wildly popular do you boot up in the car or parking lot thread, how about whether you wear full mid and outergear on the drive, or instead put in on in the lodge or car in the parking lot.

Unless I am staying very very near the mountain, I wear jeans and a T-shirt over my base layers and add mid and outer layers once in the lodge. I find I stay warmer on the hill not having it on for the car ride- particularly on long rides. Only got bitten by that plan badly once-- arrived a Sugarbush and it was -12 and howling-- the long walk to the lodge was damn cold in my jeans and a shell over a T and longjohn top.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I don't, growing up we always did (My dad was neurotic like that, we had to be on the slopes with 5 minutes of exiting the car). Maybe with kids it's more of a PITA to get them changed in the lodge. Usually I just wear jeans or sweatpants and throw on my snow pants in the lodge.

Puck it

I wear my ski pants and ski boots on the way up. The skis get in the way of the pedals. Believe me, I tried. Oh and my helmet and goggles too. Just put the window down as a FYI.

You will get some weird looks especially if troopers pull you over. Ignore them. It is not illegal. Then just take the closet parking spot to the lift. Bingo, good to go.

Grassi21

Hell no. Need to take all measures necessary to avoid swamp ass. Base layers are always clutch so you can pull the quick change in the lodge.

gmcunni

only if i'm in the car for a short period of time. drive to my "local" hill is 60 minutes. to VT 3 hours. not wearing ski pants in either case.

if i'm "away" and staying close to the hill i'll wear them for the ride over.

Talisman

I don't, growing up we always did (My dad was neurotic like that, we had to be on the slopes with 5 minutes of exiting the car).

This was the same situation with my family growing up. My Dad at a certain distance to the ski area had us put our boots in the car so when he parked we were ready. This was in the era of leather lace up boots for those of us deep in the batting order, so it was a pain getting geared up while driving. We always wanted to get maximum value from those lift tickets.

Black Phantom

I wear my ski pants and ski boots on the way up. The skis get in the way of the pedals. Believe me, I tried. Oh and my helmet and goggles too. Just put the window down as a FYI.

You will get some weird looks especially if troopers pull you over. Ignore them. It is not illegal. Then just take the closet parking spot to the lift. Bingo, good to go.

You have been wearing that same helmet for a while!:snow:

I wear my ski pants on the 3 mile ride to the hill.

bvibert

Staff member
Depends on the drive. The 20-25 minute ride to the local hill is no problem with the pant on. Anything more than that and I change in the lodge. For really long drives I'll leave the base layer off and change in the bathroom. The base layer I wear is pretty warm, I don't ever need a mid layer on my legs.

Puck it

You have been wearing that same helmet for a while!:snow:

I wear my ski pants on the 3 mile ride to the hill.

Yes, I have. But, I am one of the cool kids that ride in the back.

short+bus.jpg

frapcap

I wear 'em all the way up. Like others have mentioned, the less time between the mountain and my skis, the better.

Plus, you can look like a badass when you stop to take a leak alongside the highway.

Edd

I think the quality of the pants factors in. If you have excellent venting and the material is highly breathable it shouldn't be a problem to wear them.

That said I've inappropriately stripped to my boxers in a ski lodge filled with strangers many times.

kickstand

For me, anything more than a 30 minute ride or any distance on a nice spring day and I'm in anything other than ski pants.