• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Best Eastern Ski Resort Condorcet Poll - REVISED AND IMPROVED!

skiersleft

After much deliberation and collaboration from AZoners, we were able to narrow the list down to 50 Eastern resorts. Special thanks for Rivercoil for shepherding me through the process. It was fun and I learned a lot.

The Condorcet Method is the best polling device for ranking alternatives. So the results should be more interesting than those in standard magazines.

I was able to include a "No Opinion" option, which I believe will be to the liking of many here (Ski_The_Moguls - That one is for you!).

The instructions are as follows:

Only rank those areas that you have visited, unless you strongly believe that one area is clearly better than another, in which case feel free to rank that area ahead of the other. If you haven't been to the resort and don't feel strongly about it being clearly better than others, please select the "no opinion" option.

Please take the poll here:

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru...l?id=E_6df6f370a4e52a60&akey=6dcd31ce2fe364ac

Poll closes on 10/15/2011. Looking forward to the results!

tt431

After much deliberation and collaboration from AZoners, we were able to narrow the list down to 50 Eastern resorts. Special thanks for Rivercoil for shepherding me through the process. It was fun and I learned a lot.

The Condorcet Method is the best polling device for ranking alternatives. So the results should be more interesting than those in standard magazines.

I was able to include a "No Opinion" option, which I believe will be to the liking of many here (Ski_The_Moguls - That one is for you!).

The instructions are as follows:

Only rank those areas that you have visited, unless you strongly believe that one area is clearly better than another, in which case feel free to rank that area ahead of the other. If you haven't been to the resort and don't feel strongly about it being clearly better than others, please select the "no opinion" option.

Please take the poll here:

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru...l?id=E_6df6f370a4e52a60&akey=6dcd31ce2fe364ac

Poll closes on 10/15/2011. Looking forward to the results!.
Nice poll. Can't wait to see the results.
BTW.. Where are they?

Last edited:

skiersleft

BTW, when you vote it will state that poll resorts will only be available to me. I did this purposely so that survey takers are not swayed by current results when they vote. Avoids contamination.

I can only access the results once the poll is closed.

skiersleft

Nice poll. Can't wait to see the results.

HA!!! Thanks. A lot of love went into making this poll. And a lot of collaboration.

Coming out from the shadows, TT? This is a nice community. You should post here most often.

abc

Is it possible to make "no opinion" a default answer?

I started voting but got tired flipping the "NO" on resorts I've not been to. Realizing I have to do that for about 30 times, I gave up.:(

skiersleft

I started voting but got tired flipping the "NO" on resorts I've not been to. Realizing I have to do that for about 30 times, I gave up.:(

Unfortunately, I can't. Don't give up! It's for a good cause!!!!!

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com

You can type a "n" on your keyboard to get to that option faster. That is what I did. Of course that means using two hands :p

4aprice

Question. Both Pico Peak and MT Ellen (Glen Ellen to me) were bought and brought into larger areas. Why does Pico deserve a ballot and Mt Ellen does not?

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Question. Both Pico Peak and MT Ellen (Glen Ellen to me) were bought and brought into larger areas. Why does Pico deserve a ballot and Mt Ellen does not?

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Pico is still its own isolated mountain and it still operates under its own name. You don't hear people say "I'm going to Killington" and then find them at Pico.
Mount Ellen is connected to the rest of Sugerbush via the Slide Brook lift. All of the Sugarbush sections operate under the "Sugarbush" name.

oakapple

Pico still "looks like" and "feels like" a completely separate ski area. It has its own trail map and website. A lift ticket at Pico does not get you into Killington. There is no lift system or in-bounds connection between them. Until the Interconnect gets built, Pico and Killington are basically independent ski areas that just happen to have common ownership.

Glen Ellen no longer operates as a separate ski area. It's shown on the same trail map and website as the rest of Sugarbush. There is a lift connecting the two. If you didn't know otherwise, it wouldn't be immediately obvious that they were ever operated separately.