• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iPhone iOS5 - diminished battery life after the update

skijay

I updated my iPhone 4 (VZ) during the Walking Dead Season opener to the new OS. I wanted to take advantage of the iCloud.

Monday and Tuesday after I did it all was well. I went jogging on Wednesday night and used the Nike app. Still no issue. Thursday morning my phone was at 100% charge in the morning. At noon I was down to 60%. I did not use the phone. Around 6pm when I called Apple I was about 40%. I had no calls, texts or was using it.

That night I learned about the multi-tasking and how to turn off apps. The tech guy suspected it was the Nike App that was still running. That night I powered down the phone and charged it. Worked fine after that.

Last weekend - no issues. Today it started all over again. I have just the phone, email and Facebook app running and am at 38%. Typically I am about 75% each night at this time.

We had a sales guy come to the office last week and he has the same phone as me and did the update. The first thing he asked me was if I had diminished battery life after it.

Anybody else out there having battery issues after the update?

Glenn

I heard that one of our IT people at work had a similar issue on their 4 running iOS 5. I'll go see if I can get some more info. From what I understand, it is an issue...but not everyone experiences it.

We're running 5 on our iPad1. We leave mail and sometimes FB running in the background. It can go a few days without a charge. Then again, it doesn't get used as much as a phone.

Bostonian

I have put in a complaint also but with VZ over the iPhone4 with iOS 5. I am experiencing the same battery drain myself. I will say, while it isn't as bad as my old android phone, it still kinda sucks. Although I think I am jumping back to Android with the Galaxy Nexus. I miss the bigger screen and the android OS altogether.

wa-loaf

I haven't had any issues, but I have a 4s.I had upgraded my 3Gs to iOS5 for a few days and didn't notice any change in battery performance. I'm on ATT.

mondeo

I have put in a complaint also but with VZ over the iPhone4 with iOS 5. I am experiencing the same battery drain myself. I will say, while it isn't as bad as my old android phone, it still kinda sucks. Although I think I am jumping back to Android with the Galaxy Nexus. I miss the bigger screen and the android OS altogether.
Look at an HTC Titan or Samsung Focus S once they come out (should be soon.)

TheBEast

Just upgraded from the 3G to the 4S (AT&T) and love it, but have noticed the battery life doesn't seem as good. Will have to look into the multi-tasking to see if that's what's causing the battery to get chewed up even if I'm not using it all that much.

Geoff

Just upgraded from the 3G to the 4S (AT&T) and love it, but have noticed the battery life doesn't seem as good. Will have to look into the multi-tasking to see if that's what's causing the battery to get chewed up even if I'm not using it all that much.

Could it be the thermal transfer from the triple shot latte that all the hipsters who own the latest iPhone 4S drink?

wa-loaf

The 4S's processor is a lot more powerful and draws more power. It's battery does not last as long as you're used to.

Edd

Look at an HTC Titan or Samsung Focus S once they come out (should be soon.)

I can't believe Sprint and Verizon have not announced a next gen WP7 phone. I'm on Sprint and am close to getting the Arrive out of impatience. Going to wait as long as I can.

Edd

I can't believe Sprint and Verizon have not announced a next gen WP7 phone. I'm on Sprint and am close to getting the Arrive out of impatience. Going to wait as long as I can.

I got impulsive and went for the iphone 4S from Sprint. My first Apple product; I've always had an aversion to Apple but I'm going to give them a shot for awhile.

The Siri thing is undeniably cool and shockingly practical.

o3jeff

Anyone load the 5.1 yet? After doing the Ginerbread upgrade on Android and having it take them months to get the patches right I am always reluctant to do any upgrade right away.

SkiFanE

Just got a 4S 2 days ago, and asked to upgrade this AM. Have no idea what I have now lol, but guessing this is what you're referring to. Do these happen alot? Will it put my phone out of commission for awhile? Didn't accept it yet.

wa-loaf

Just got a 4S 2 days ago, and asked to upgrade this AM. Have no idea what I have now lol, but guessing this is what you're referring to. Do these happen alot? Will it put my phone out of commission for awhile? Didn't accept it yet.

They update the OS now and then to fix some bugs. In this case it's a combo bug fix and update for the new iPad. Going from OS5.0 to OS5.1 likely isn't a big deal, but I usually give it a couple days and monitor the apple blogs as sometimes they muck something up. And the servers are usually busy if you try to do it the first day. If it's a big update OS5 to OS6 then definitely hold off and let the early adopters find all the issues.

These guys are my go to place to see if there are any issues after an update: http://www.macrumors.com/

SkiFanE

They update the OS now and then to fix some bugs. In this case it's a combo bug fix and update for the new iPad. Going from OS5.0 to OS5.1 likely isn't a big deal, but I usually give it a couple days and monitor the apple blogs as sometimes they muck something up. And the servers are usually busy if you try to do it the first day. If it's a big update OS5 to OS6 then definitely hold off and let the early adopters find all the issues.

These guys are my go to place to see if there are any issues after an update: http://www.macrumors.com/

Thanks for info and link. I'm such a newbie lol.