• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Opens October 29, 2011

steamboat1

I've been skiing Killington for decades. Anyone who says they turn off the snow guns on open slopes while people are skiing is nuts. They regularly leave the guns going 24/7 on open slopes for days when they are building base. Nothing wrong with that.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've been skiing Killington for decades. Anyone who says they turn off the snow guns on open slopes while people are skiing is nuts. They regularly leave the guns going 24/7 on open slopes for days when they are building base. Nothing wrong with that.

been my experience as well.

last year I recall skiing Lower East Fall and being a glazed donut on skis

We are saying they do not leave the guns blazing on ALL open slopes while people are skiing. You can choose to ski under the guns, but you generally do not have to. And you certainly did not have to on Saturday.

I know people are just glad that SR opened at all. I get it. I wish I had not made my earlier post. I think I will wait until early next October, when the SR vs. K crowd is really going at it, and then remind people of the different opening experiences that the two mountains provided.

Black Phantom

We are saying they do not leave the guns blazing on ALL open slopes while people are skiing. You can choose to ski under the guns, but you generally do not have to. And you certainly did not have to on Saturday.

I know people are just glad that SR opened at all. I get it. I wish I had not made my earlier post. I think I will wait until early next October, when the SR vs. K crowd is really going at it, and then remind people of the different opening experiences that the two mountains provided.

You are a passionate skier. That's good news. K does not leave the guns on in the early season when there is limited terrain. Basic fact. Rime must be close to 3 feet deep.

Stick around. We need folks that have a passion to ski. See you next weekend. My little buddy jerseyjoey is slaying it right now.:grin::flag:

steamboat1

I wasn't there so I can't confirm from my own experience but from what I've read you had to ski through the snow guns on upper GN to get to NR on Sat. Unless of course you preferred to walk down using the boardwalk.

Rogman

So is Sunday RIver the new Sugarbush? Illegal to bash them, even if they deserve it? Open season on Killington of course, however will persist for the foreseeable future. :roll: Actually, if you want to see SR getting bashed, go over to their own board:
http://community.sundayriver.com/forum/topics/halloween-conditions-a-reflection-a-complaint

Seriously, tempest in a teapot. Kudo's to both resorts for getting open, and getting people on the slopes. If one did a better job than another, does it really matter? Killington has an altitude advantage, Sunday River a latitude advantage. This year, it broke Killington's way, next year might be different.

POWDR still is not opening Killington as early as they can; they are opening as early as they can with a quality product. They are still closing earlier than they should; I'm hoping the new Roaring Brook deck will change their perception of the economics of spring skiing, and they'll stay open later in the spring. Even so, Killington still has the longest season in the east. And no, you can't get more skier days with a Boyne pass, no matter how bad you are at math. :lol:

sp1ffy

I was there on Sunday around the time when they 'opened' some of the more thinly covered trails. It was tons of fun despite the lift lines.

There was actually decent thin coverage all the way to the base, although I banged up my bases a bit on one of the lower diamonds.

MonkeyBrook

After skiing both over the past 3 days, it pretty much confirms what has been said already.

Killington is currently in much better shape. And while SR does "rush" to open, they kind of have to compared to Killington. 2,000 feet in elevation difference will do that to you.

2000 feet in elevation difference, check your facts Zand...you are way off...that is unless Killington is 5K in elevation.

Zand

2000 feet in elevation difference, check your facts Zand...you are way off...that is unless Killington is 5K in elevation.

From what I've read Locke Mountain is 2,600' at its peak. Killington Peak is at 4,200'. 1,600' difference and rounded up. Makes me 400' off, a lot closer than K having to be 5K.

MonkeyBrook

To all those SR lovers who were obviously very offended by my post . . . what has been written here since has done nothing but continue to convince me that K was in much better shape for the opening than SR. In fact, I bet you convinced a lot of others of the same thing along the way!

Look, bottom line is that K tries its best to open for the season. SR tries to open first (though thanks for the 10:01 - that was cool) just to say they did, then shuts down for days or weeks at a time until they can really open. You Boyne folks think you have a long season, but K all by itself was open more days last year than SR and SL combined.

There is so much K bashing on this forum - you really need to be more honest at times when K does it better than the rest.

10:01?? I dont think so, I was on the lift 8:15 Saturday am and know that there were exactly 4 people ahead of me & Wheeler....two of the four ahead of me are regular posters on the board.....I really couldnt care less who was skiing first, second or third...I was just happy SR was open for turns this weekend. And personally, I like skiing with the guns on.....different strokes for different folks....nonsense to try to compare SR and Killington....

MonkeyBrook

From what I've read Locke Mountain is 2,600' at its peak. Killington Peak is at 4,200'. 1,600' difference and rounded up. Makes me 400' off, a lot closer than K having to be 5K.

First, if you are rounding up 400 ft....OK.....forgive me but I thought you were speaking about SR vs K in general. Jordan is over 3100, K Peak is 4200....so 1100 if the #....if you were comparing early season skiing...still not 2K, but 1500-1600....all good. I like K, need to get back there this year...used to ski there a ton in my earlier days....:spread:

Rogman

First, if you are rounding up 400 ft....OK.....forgive me but I thought you were speaking about SR vs K in general. Jordan is over 3100, K Peak is 4200....so 1100 if the #....if you were comparing early season skiing...still not 2K, but 1500-1600....all good. I like K, need to get back there this year...used to ski there a ton in my earlier days....:spread:
What matters for opening is the lowest elevation where you have to blow snow. For Killington, the base of the North Ridge Triple is about 3400', For the mid-station of the Locke Mountain Triple, I'd guess it's somewhere around 1600', but I'm really not sure, but that would make the difference 1800 feet. However, Sunday River's latitude is about 60 miles further north.

steamboat1

Now if they could only get Zanadu open at Giants Stadium in NJ. they'd be skiing year round at sea level & this bickering about who opened first in the east, latitude, altitude & elevation arguments would be meaningless.

mondeo

What matters for opening is the lowest elevation where you have to blow snow. For Killington, the base of the North Ridge Triple is about 3400', For the mid-station of the Locke Mountain Triple, I'd guess it's somewhere around 1600', but I'm really not sure, but that would make the difference 1800 feet. However, Sunday River's latitude is about 60 miles further north.
What matters is the average temp at that lowest elevation. I looked it up last year, K has like a 2-3 degree edge, on average, with the stairway. SR had th edge before.