• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Challenge 2011 Results: Wachusett

speden

Wow, the new beginner lift is going to be a detach. They must have some deep pockets over there to buy a detach to service 50 feet of vertical. ;) But seriously that's good news, and if it's as fast as it sounds, that should pull a lot more traffic over there. Wish they'd get it up and running a little sooner though. Looks like on the web cam today they started putting the base terminal together.

massbmx

Interesting. Seems the answer to my question is if the patroller thinks you're going too fast, you're unsafe, which wouldn't be bad if most of the patrollers weren't power tripping d-bags and knew what safe was. I do understand where they're coming from though.

wa-loaf

Wow, the new beginner lift is going to be a detach. They must have some deep pockets over there to buy a detach to service 50 feet of vertical. ;) But seriously that's good news, and if it's as fast as it sounds, that should pull a lot more traffic over there. Wish they'd get it up and running a little sooner though. Looks like on the web cam today they started putting the base terminal together.

The place is a money factory. I wish it was up earlier too. I'd like to get my kids out early. Looks like we'll be warming up on the magic carpet and then trying our luck on Ralphs run.

Interesting. Seems the answer to my question is if the patroller thinks you're going too fast, you're unsafe, which wouldn't be bad if most of the patrollers weren't power tripping d-bags and knew what safe was. I do understand where they're coming from though.

There are a few non-answers there.

speden

I don't think the demo guy understood why I don't like the demo limit of three skis per session. I can often tell after one or two runs if I don't like a ski, and then want to try something else. So I can hit the limit of three skis in under an hour, with the slowest part being the change out to the next set in the demo center. Then they would tell me I had to pay for another session if I wanted to try more skis.

Pretty much they don't want the hassle of changing out so many skis for one person, and that's cool, but the limit does not benefit the customer. Once I'm close to making a decision I'll ski my finalists for lots of runs, but before that I just want to sample a lot of different skis.

wa-loaf

I don't think the demo guy understood why I don't like the demo limit of three skis per session. I can often tell after one or two runs if I don't like a ski, and then want to try something else. So I can hit the limit of three skis in under an hour, with the slowest part being the change out to the next set in the demo center. Then they would tell me I had to pay for another session if I wanted to try more skis.

Pretty much they don't want the hassle of changing out so many skis for one person, and that's cool, but the limit does not benefit the customer. Once I'm close to making a decision I'll ski my finalists for lots of runs, but before that I just want to sample a lot of different skis.

Mike Vlass the manager of the shop is a pretty good guy and I'm sure if you talk to him ahead of time he'd make an allowance for you.

I noticed the cost of mounting skis went up from $25 to $35 this season. That's a pretty big jump. If I had known ahead of time I would have just dropped them off closer to home.

speden

Mike Vlass the manager of the shop is a pretty good guy and I'm sure if you talk to him ahead of time he'd make an allowance for you.

I noticed the cost of mounting skis went up from $25 to $35 this season. That's a pretty big jump. If I had known ahead of time I would have just dropped them off closer to home.

Do you ever get your skis tuned there? How good of a job do they do? Can you specify the base and edge angles you want, or do they give the one size fits all treatment? I'm looking for a new shop to use since my other shop really messed up my tune last year.

wa-loaf

Do you ever get your skis tuned there? How good of a job do they do? Can you specify the base and edge angles you want, or do they give the one size fits all treatment? I'm looking for a new shop to use since my other shop really messed up my tune last year.

I usually do my own edges, but I drop them off once in awhile to get a stone grind. Haven't had any issues. They do race tunes there so are fully capable of taking custom edge angles. They did screw up the edge angles on a teammates skis. I think he just wanted a wax on his race skis and they ran it through the machine screwing up the angles he had.

I'm going to take my race skis to the SkiMD in Framingham (at Summit Ski). I know a bunch of racers who swear by them.

Watatic Skier

Nice to get some answers. Also nice to see Vickery Liftline got a trim, I got my boot stuck in a branch that was sticking out from the woods a few seasons ago.

gr82ski

Most of us are "power tripping d-bags"? That's harsh. :sad:

wa-loaf

They just put some photos up on facebook. All the towers are up and they're putting the hangers on (I know there's a technical word for them, but it escapes me at the moment).

AllTunedUp

Website
www.alltunedup.com

Mounts are always an economical $20 at my shop and I'm only 4 miles from the mountain in downtown Westminster. I have a Trim machine as well..

AllTunedUp

Website
www.alltunedup.com
What's a trim machine?

It is a machine used in beveling the ski/snowboard edge that cuts and polishes the edge with a Ceramic Disc. The "trim" is short for Wintersteiger's name for their machines; TrimDisc 71 is the model in my shop. It applies an extremely sharp and consistent edge. A ceramic disc ground edge sharpening service is standard in all of my tuning services.

speden

Looks like the big Wa tested their snowmaking guns last night. Clearly they are ready to hit it when the temps turn cold. I am as well...

The Monadnock Express is going up in a hurry too. At the rate they're going, maybe they will get it open ahead of schedule.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Yes, I just saw this: http://www.snocountry.com/index.php...as-wachusett-launches-monadnock-express-.html

And I was surprised as well.

speden

3 million seems like a pretty good price for a new detach. Looks like they load tested it today, so now they just need some snow.