• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New I ski NY License Plate

UVSHTSTRM

God, enough with the plates! Maine, a relatively small state must have at least 20 different ones. I was born and raised in Maine and haven't lived there since college, but everytime I go home to visit the folks there seems to be a new one. About 3 years ago I went home to head up to the 'loaf' with some friends for Reggae weekend. I arrived alone and upon my arrival the first thing that struck me was the odd number of plates from New Mexico......after further investigation I realized Maine had a new plate.:)

Cornhead

God, enough with the plates! Maine, a relatively small state must have at least 20 different ones. I was born and raised in Maine and haven't lived there since college, but everytime I go home to visit the folks there seems to be a new one. About 3 years ago I went home to head up to the 'loaf' with some friends for Reggae weekend. I arrived alone and upon my arrival the first thing that struck me was the odd number of plates from New Mexico......after further investigation I realized Maine had a new plate.:)

Ha, that's funny. I don't mind the color of our new NY plates, they're retro, I'm old. Wish we didn't have to have one on the front bumper however, PA doesn't. As for the ski specific plates, I think the Thule rack, Blizzacks on steelies, on a Subaru, is enough of a statement that I ski NY.

P.S. The skiing's pretty good in New Mexico, east and west.:wink:

tt431

Ha, ha. I still have this plate from my first car in NY. That was 20 something years ago. I like the white plates better.

catskills

Ok now we can get really creative. As an alternative to the high NY state fees for their custom license plates and limited graphics this link here will make your own personal custom license plates. They also make trailer hitch cover plates. These custom plates can be displayed below your required state plates. With your own custom license plate you could write anything. You could even do reverse lettering for the front plate for viewing in a rear view mirror.

This plate caught my eye.

plate_5.jpg

More ideas but we need to see some snow custom plates with skiing on it.

plate_wall.jpg

jaja111

Let us in NY, for those not in NY, not forget how the orange plates came to be. The idea was hatched to supply everyone with the new plates when their reg expired or they purchased a new one, adding $75, I think, to the cost for a "new plate" fee. It's only purpose was revenue generation (like soda pop tax for kids health, higher cigarette taxes to get people to quit, higher thruway tolls to "maintain" the road, etc.). When this came out as a few new plates were showing up, the sheeple of NY cried out in fury (even though they cried none when they let it pass through the legislature). When the politicians wanted to be re-elected they pulled the law back, ditched the new plate fee, allowed the white and blue plates be kept with each reg renewal, and then blamed the whole idea on a blind governor. Don't forget they were stuck with enough manufactured plates (not made in prisons here) for every car in the state, having already spent the damn money.

So when you come to NY, remember these facts:

-The odd mixture of orange vs. blue plates that you'll see is the greatest symbol of a truly dysfunctional state government run by morons making lame attempts to scam its citizens for revenue.

-Any custom plates seen (or orange plates purchased to replace perfectly valid white and blue ones) are people stupid enough to hand more money to the state, and I'll guess, continue to re-elect the dysfunctional morons who laugh their way through their public service "career".

Its not just the politics of this state I'm fed up with, its the people who let it happen. Buying a custom plate here isn't just letting it happen, its HELPING it happen.

Last edited:

SkiDork

Let us in NY, for those not in NY, not forget how the orange plates came to be. The idea was hatched to supply everyone with the new plates when their reg expired or they purchased a new one, adding $75, I think, to the cost for a "new plate" fee. It's only purpose was revenue generation (like soda pop tax for kids health, higher cigarette taxes to get people to quit, higher thruway tolls to "maintain" the road, etc.). When this came out as a few new plates were showing up, the sheeple of NY cried out in fury (even though they cried none when they let it pass through the legislature). When the politicians wanted to be re-elected they pulled the law back, ditched the new plate fee, allowed the white and blue plates be kept with each reg renewal, and then blamed the whole idea on a blind governor. Don't forget they were stuck with enough manufactured plates (not made in prisons here) for every car in the state, having already spent the damn money.

So when you come to NY, remember these facts:

-The odd mixture of orange vs. blue plates that you'll see is the greatest symbol of a truly dysfunctional state government run by morons making lame attempts to scam its citizens for revenue.

-Any custom plates seen (or orange plates purchased to replace perfectly valid white and blue ones) are people stupid enough to hand more money to the state, and I'll guess, continue to re-elect the dysfunctional morons who laugh their way through their public service "career".

Its not just the politics of this state I'm fed up with, its the people who let it happen. Buying a custom plate here isn't just letting it happen, its HELPING it happen.

a bit of a stretch - the existence and availability of custom plates doesn't have any bearing on the waffle decision about not having to pay extra for the new color.

BTW if they really want to get retro, I'd love the opposite color blue background orange lettering

catskills

a bit of a stretch - the existence and availability of custom plates doesn't have any bearing on the waffle decision about not having to pay extra for the new color.

BTW if they really want to get retro, I'd love the opposite color blue background orange lettering

Yes I also liked those blue background and gold letter plates. Those older black background with gold letters were damn ugly. If they changed to these retro plates I think I would have to leave the state.

Also don't forget that the NY State troopers maintained they could see the Gold and Blue better to identify folks breaking the law.

USA_NY_GI6_1960%27s-80%27s.jpg