• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic, VT - AZ Gathering Feb (10) -11-12, 2012

gmcunni

sadly i won't be able to hit Magic this weekend. i look forward to jealously reading the trip reports.

djspookman

It was nice finally meeting jrmagic and billski (finally!), if only in brief passing! My youngest daughter had been outside for a while and needed to get inside to warm up. Next time, we'll have to make some turns!

dave

bheemsoth

Hope you guys had fun. We skied Bromley yesterday, and stopped in at Magic on our way back to the cabin. For the amount of snow, things looked better than expected.

I did notice a charter bus in the outer parking lot. I believe that's the first time I'd seen a bus trip @ Magic.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Yeah, djspookman. Glad to spend 30 seconds with you ;) Spent the morning skiing with Sorcerer, since sunny, calm day. Good for opening it up. Sorcerer is good! Coming up the lift I heard, "Hey! what are you doing here?" It was jrmagic standing under the lift. All appearances were that I was going to ski Sunday, but Saturday it was. Skied with JR and a friend for a run. As always, great runs with JRmagic. Talisman was pretty cool around the bend, then over the hill, it was a bit scratchy.

I've skied all up and down the Green mt. spine now sometimes more than once in the past three weeks. I've come to the conclusion that most resorts are skiing the same, regardless of the base. It doesn't matter whether you have eight inches or three feet, the top surface is the same. Crunched up by the groomers in the AM, scratchy by late AM. Now Magic does't have as many trails as other corporate mountains, but skies just as well. Fo

It was hopping when I got there (I was watching Ladies WC slalom at 4am) around almost 10. There was a large bunch of boy scouts who camped overnight upstairs in the lodge. They were all out for lessons in the AM (the ski school director was going nuts). A junior race in progress most of the day. Lots of little kids playing inside and out. At the end of the day a nice folk group and a very full bar. Rustygroomer was hanging out there with his SO. Even Jim was running around picking up trash! For all of this activity, lift lines surged to almost ten people. For all that, almost every chair was full most of the day.

The racks were full, the snow tubing was busy all day, and lots of beginners on the learning hill. I do hope they can upgrade from a handle tow some day.

For the afternoon, I figured a little education might help me handle this year's challenging conditions. Adam spent two hours coaching me, patiently (necessary) but insistently trying to figure out how to undo hardwired bad habits. Well worth it. It was all bout carving and control. Spent the afternoon on the "east side", doing blues and just working on technique. Really helped control my edging over scratch, rather than just zooming over it. Lots of hours this weekend (Jay the day before), several good falls. I feel much stronger and a little more skilled. Hopefully something in there will help my NASTAR racing!

The ski shop move was excellent. Great selection, in your face store adds a lot to the ambiance.

Great day. Love to see the place hopping! Go Magic!

Time to sit back on this windy Sunday and watch the WC, and nurse the finger I fell on and the over extended calf (both from last week at da 'bush.)

Last edited:

darent

sorry to have missed the magic gathering, janski and I started at stowe on tuesday and worked our way down the greens, we had to be home on sunday and with the storm kicking up the seas we headed home saturday and sure enough the boats were cancelled on sunday, hope all had fun and we will get there another time.

jrmagic

Good to see you again Bill. Im glad to hgear that lesson helped you out a bit. DJ we will definitely catch up for some runs this year. As Bill said conditions were a tad scratchy but with so many people on the hill that was inevitable. Hatsw off to the grooming and snowmaking teams. The chute is as good if not better than it was last year when we had 4 times the snow. They groomed out Talisman almnost edge to edge giving many line choices. Sunday was a lot colder but with less traffic all I can say is wow. Talisman groomed out to perfection and skied very true and FAST. Did some Super G turns with Dowork running point. Got my blood pumping really good. Trick was jsut as good as was sunshione corner showoff and Hocus pocus. I can;t wait to get up there next weekend. The bar was really hopping this weekend and when I came back down for dinner at 8:00 it was stil packed. Even when I headed back up to the codo at 9:30 there was at least 100 people there still.

emmaurice2

Was at Magic today (Sunday), not sure if any other AZers were there. It was very different from my last visit when they had just gotten a few inches of fresh snow, but fun all the same. Trick and Talisman skied very fast. The Sara Grayson Memorial races were a blast to watch and her mother's speech very touching. After the races ended and Show Off re-opened I found that to have the best snow on the mountain. Skied until 2:30 when the winds really started to pick up at the top.

jrmagic

I was out there for several runs on Sunday but left the hill before 1:00 due ot kids sports commitments. Sorry I missed you but glad you enjoyed yourself. Skiers right on Showoff was definitely the swetest but everything open skied very well and yes Tali skied especially fast but was loads of fun.