Sugarbush - Mt Ellen - February 26, 2012

AlpineZone

Camera Sugarbush - Mt Ellen - February 26, 2012

Date Skied: 2/26/12

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarbush – Mt Ellen

Conditions: Powder, Packed powder, wind blown, blue skies, temps in the teens

Trip Report:

After enjoying the 24+ inches of powder at Smuggs on Saturday and a white knuckle drive back to Fayston, VT. I woke up to blue skies and a reported 10-12 inches of new snow at Sugarbush. I was feeling a little tired so I started the day on the Inverness chair where I figured there would be less competition for first tracks and I could start off on some low angle woods.

My first run was in a virtually untouched Semi Tough Woods. Kinda cool to see this in front of your skies on a bluebird day:

Walts Trail is mellow green run – all natural snow and plenty deep on Sunday:

Walts Woods is a short shot through some nice birch trees:

After a few runs off the Inverness chair I decided to head up the GMX and take a trip on Hammerhead:

I did a couple of other trails off the North Ridge chair – Bravo was deep, Elbow was a bit windblown but still held good snow. Cruiser and Which Way were in great shape.

Lower FIS had a lot new snow:

With the exception of the run out, Lower FIS is one of my favorite runs at Mt Ellen:

I decided to finish up with a few more runs off the Inverness chair. Here’s a great view looking toward the summit. It gives you an appreciation of how big the mountain is:

I hit the usual suspects – Brambles and Brambles Woods which still had lot of untracked lines:

Around 1 PM my legs were toast after skiing hard on Friday, the powder fest on Saturday at Smuggs and a morning tour around Mt Ellen. My last run of the weekend was through a tight pines line:

And finally Semi Tough:

Overall it was a phenomenal weekend to ski in Northern VT. Get it while you can and let’s hope for more snow this week!

Thanks for the TR. I skied MRG for the first time yesterday, and will be spending two days at Sugarbush. I was there a month ago for my first visit. I was a little disappointed due to the shitty weather and conditions. I'm sure it'll seem like a whole different mountain tomorrow, MRG was awesome.

Very sweet. Thanks for the report!

An awesome day- wanted to ski lower FIS but never got over there.

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    With the exception of the run out, Lower FIS is one of my favorite runs at Mt Ellen
    I always say the same thing. The run out is what makes this trail a black

Ah, I miss the Bush... went to school there from 95 to 99...

Looks great! Hope to head up to the Bush sometime in the next couple weeks.

Thanks for the report. The pics look great.
    Timothy

Catamount 4

2013-14--19
    2012-13--26
    2011-2012--16
    2010-11--30

Thread Information