• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Challenge 2011: Evan Dybvig of Whaleback

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Evan Dybvig , general partner and marketing director at Whaleback, has agreed to participate in the 2011 AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge!

The AlpineZone Challenge is your chance to offer up questions, suggestions or praise to the people who run the mountains in the northeast. For more information on the challenge itself, please see the stickied post at the top of the forum.

We will pick ten of the questions asked here and submit them for review and response, and post them in the Challenge area when complete!

Caveats: we may edit/change your question for grammar, tone, or something similar. Questions may be merged. If we don't get to all the questions, we will encourage followup from the representatives, but no promises.

Please be respectful as well to those answering questions - please refrain from asking specifics about skier visit numbers, financials, demographic information, etc. as these may be confidential to the mountain.

Whaleback Profile

2006 AZ Challenge Results

xwhaler

The front face of the mtn is pretty steep in my opinion. Certainly as steep as the top section of Pats but has good consistent pitch throughout, unlike Pats.
I'd even argue it is steeper than any non-glade at Ragged or Sunapee.
What sorts of things will you do to get the word out that Whaleback can be a ton of fun for the advance/expert skier? I'd love for Whaleback to be known/talked about as more than just a "community hill" though of course that is your core niche.

Can you talk a little about the new glade you cut this season?

What is the general early season plan as to which trails get snowmaking first?

Last year I skied Whaleback for the 1st time on your opening wknd and the food selection in the pub upstairs was sort of lacking. Do you have plans to offer more choices up there this season or is the cafeteira downstairs the main option for food?

Keep up the good work! Whaleback is a cool spot, easy to get to, extremely affordable, and a real nice vibe.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Evan is not just the marketing director, he is the owner.

Evan, thanks for joining us in another Challenge. Since we last spoke, what has Whaleback done to improve the mountain or your offerings?

And congrats on making it now six seasons, some tougher than others. You and your partners have held in. What do you think is the best decision you have made so far? What do you attribute to your success?

The Poma Double is old. What are the plans for keeping it going or replacing it?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

Evan, thanks for joining us in another Challenge. Since we last spoke, what has Whaleback done to improve the mountain or your offerings?

And congrats on making it now six seasons, some tougher than others. You and your partners have held in. What do you think is the best decision you have made so far? What do you attribute to your success?

The Poma Double is old. What are the plans for keeping it going or replacing it?

I'll update it, thanks. The email from him said marketing manager and general partner ,I think :)

xwhaler

1) Curious as to why Whaleback is not part of Ski NH, NH's official ski website?

Also, is it possible to update the trail map on your website to show trails that are lit for night skiing? I think this would be a low/no cost thing that could be implemented quickly that would give those thinking of trying out the Whale for the 1st time a chance to see what sort of terrain is offered at night.

2) I know a few people (on this board and elsewhere) have remarked that they have thought or have stopped at Whaleback for some night turns on the way home from VT.

3) Are there any plans to expland terrain offerings at some point in the future? Either cut more trails off the back side (if you own the land) or the big swath between Spout and Blow Hole?

mlkrgr

I actually did not know this place even existed until a couple years ago despite being a skier of a good 15 years. I'm also wondering why it is not in many places to give the resort good PR and visibility, like SkiNH and OntheSnow.

powhunter

Also a WC, and Olympic Mogul Skier.....Evan, Do you have any mogul runs at whaleback? What do you think of the future of bump skiing?

Thanks..Steveo

bigbog

Also a WC, and Olympic Mogul Skier.....Evan, Do you have any mogul runs at whaleback? What do you think of the future of bump skiing? ...

I've calmed down now..let's just say Dvig used to get lucky with the judges....imho....EVERYtime he skied the bumps in bigtime competition...and I guess Whaleback won't miss me...;-)
(*That's as polite as I can be..I'm sorry.). Travis Cabral would go big, took chances.I saw him 3-5times back in early 90s.and occasionally at Bear Mtn's Competition...thought he outskied ol' Dvig EVERYtime ...just as Donna Weinbrecht was robbed for years because she made it look so easy. Don't know what this religious-thing with him is(wtf?)...good to finally see some recognition on YouTube. Brought excitement back into the bumps...
I guess I'll never be a mogul judge.

Last edited:

neil

I've calmed down now..let's just say Dvig used to get lucky with the judges....imho....EVERYtime he skied the bumps in bigtime competition...and I guess Whaleback won't miss me...;-)
(*That's as polite as I can be..I'm sorry.). Travis Cabral would go big, took chances.I saw him 3-5times back in early 90s.and occasionally at Bear Mtn's Competition...thought he outskied ol' Dvig EVERYtime ...just as Donna Weinbrecht was robbed for years because she made it look so easy. Don't know what this religious-thing with him is(wtf?)...good to finally see some recognition on YouTube. Brought excitement back into the bumps...

Not really needed IMO. Did anyone ask for opinions on his skiing?

powhunter

LOL Thats all

Steveo

snowmaker4191

Website
www.snowhill.com.50megs.com
@bigbog, I think it's time to let go of your anger over ski competition results from 20 years ago

+1

Evan what is that status of the whale's snowmaking system? is it fully opperational? what improvments to the infrastructure of the mountain do you have planned (if any at this time) what about your grooming fleet?
I have skied the whale a few times the past two years and I must say I am impressed with what you all have done. See you on the slopes!

neil

Attn: Nick, I believe his last name is spelled Dybvig :)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Have you considered partnering up with any of the local ski distributors to run a demo day or demo fair event? I know that Dalbello, Technica, Volkl (IIRC), and several other big brands have distribution centers in the Upper Valley area.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Could you detail what you have done to network with other areas to offer reciprocal deals for passholders? If I recall correctly, you offer deals to Jay passholders and maybe some others. Have you thought about connecting with Burke or Sugarbush?

MonkeyBrook

Summer Camps

Evan:

We have sent our son to your Zero Gravity Camp 2 years in a row. There is a huge contingent of Sunday River kids that plan on this camp every year. Do you plan to continue the camps...we sure hope so. Also, thanks for hosting the B comps each year, by far our favorite stop on the winter comp circut. See you soon.

MB

xwhaler

Just noticed you have re done your website today. Looks nice, certainly easier to read and navigate vs the old one.
Praying for snow, looking to be there for opening day on Monday.