• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/2" of rain. Temps in the 40's. Skis in the shed.

aaronbru

Looks like the NE is getting hit with warm weather and rain today and tonight.

Are we in the clear after this? or is more of this stuff that melts snow going to fall from the sky again?

John W

THIS COMPLETELY SUCKS ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I leave for killington tomorrow and there are going to be about HALF the trails open after this STUPID rain event..... Which means 15 trails....

Warp Daddy

Looks damn BLEAK right thru the end of December according to IN - Accuweather today . I was just checking for our region in extreme upstate New York along the Canadian border -- only 2.8 inches PREDICTED from now thru 12/31/11 -- depressing .

I 've got my whole family and all my grandkids coming for the holidays and we always ski that week but it's looking like NOT THIS YEAR

ALLSKIING

Staff member
THIS COMPLETELY SUCKS ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I leave for killington tomorrow and there are going to be about HALF the trails open after this STUPID rain event..... Which means 15 trails....
Trail count is what it will be...The thaw freeze is what would have me worried...make sure your skis are tuned....Hopefully they will blow the hell out of the place.

drjeff

Snowmaking pond refilling! Okay that's just me really trying to find anything resembling a positive spin on this uber sh$tty weather pattern mother nature has us stuck in now! :mad: :uzi:

John W

I agree Dave.. It's going to be terrible.... I just don't think they are going to have the time or the temps to do much between today and saturday morning to put much man made down.... I am going with the Wife who is a beginner and several other beginners... So that makes it a little better because they are not going to leave the bunny slopes or the like.. All greens for them. Just means getting away from them will suck because there wont be much to play on.......

drjeff

I agree Dave.. It's going to be terrible.... I just don't think they are going to have the time or the temps to do much between today and saturday morning to put much man made down.... I am going with the Wife who is a beginner and several other beginners... So that makes it a little better because they are not going to leave the bunny slopes or the like.. All greens for them. Just means getting away from them will suck because there wont be much to play on.......

Don't really think it will be that bad. A 1/2" of rain isn't that much (seriously) and the manmade base will absorb that and hardly blink. The front bringing the cold air isn't supposed cross the region until late in the day tommorrow, so the surface should be nice during the day on Friday, then once it sets up they'll groom it out and then hit it with a quick resurfacing and it should be decent by Saturday AM and then just getting better as the weekend goes on. 12+ hours of snowmaking in the GOOD temps predicted for Friday night can make a HUGE difference. And the forcasted timing of the front passage Friday is much better than if it was passing through say Friday morning and the freeze up was going to happen during operating hours

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Maybe if we are really lucky, it will rain and then freeze and we can have an awesome 1" of crust on all the snow :snow:

dartmouth01

I guess on the plus side for me, I can play golf a little longer this year.... But yea, this sucks.

troy

season hasnt even started and we already gettin thawed, fekkin great.

John W

@ Dr J - I like the view and positive outlook... Any chance for fluffy stuff on the back end of this thing??
@ Nick - LOL... That would be fantastic! Nice inch o crust to tear your gear up on and land on... FANTASTIC

Truth be told - it's way better then coming to work tomorrow!!! And not skiing on saturday. So I will stop bitching and enjoy the weekend... Hopefully some snow comes through some time next 2 weeks and I can sneak away.....

drjeff

@ Dr J - I like the view and positive outlook... Any chance for fluffy stuff on the back end of this thing??
@ Nick - LOL... That would be fantastic! Nice inch o crust to tear your gear up on and land on... FANTASTIC

Truth be told - it's way better then coming to work tomorrow!!! And not skiing on saturday. So I will stop bitching and enjoy the weekend... Hopefully some snow comes through some time next 2 weeks and I can sneak away.....

A LITTLE chance for some backside fluff from this one, but the way these fronts are moving across the region, the first one (the one that's coming across today with the warm, wet stuff) is the one that has more moisture associated with it (and even then there's not a ton of moitsure) and the second front that sweeps in tommorrow with the cold air behind it is looking very moisture starved :( You might get a squall or two here and there, but by no means does it look like there will be any areas getting meaningful amounts of snow on the backside as the front pulls away

WinnChill

Yeah, DrJ is on it. A few areas could pick up very, very light amounts Friday. K-ton north to Jay/Bolton stand the best chance. Most back-end snow showers/flurries end Fri AM but may hang on a bit longer for Jay/Bolton/Burke/Smuggs/Stowe....Smuggs/Bolton/Burke will be favored with NW facing slopes. Same for NH/ME...Bretton/Attitash/Balsams/Wildcat, and Saddleback.

aaronbru

I want to appologize for lying in the title of this thread. My skis are actually in my trunk/backseat where they belong.

BenedictGomez

I have passed through the "Denial" and the "Anger" stages, and I'm now comfortably in the "Acceptance" phase, knowing that I will not ski this year until January.

Here's to golf in Florida next week. :sadwalk:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I don't remember it being this bad in a long time.

I have to say..... what do you do on Christmas break if the mountains aren't fully open? Lots of families make ski vacation plans. It has to really blow if you are cramming an already busy week onto a mountain that is only at half capacity.

hammer

I don't remember it being this bad in a long time.

I have to say..... what do you do on Christmas break if the mountains aren't fully open? Lots of families make ski vacation plans. It has to really blow if you are cramming an already busy week onto a mountain that is only at half capacity.
How often are ski areas fully open over Christmas week?

john1200c

Bought a Liftopia ticket weeks ago for Saturday, the walk-up price will probably be lower due to low trail count..... Oh well, can't do anything but make the most of it. Turns is turns....