• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/2" of rain. Temps in the 40's. Skis in the shed.

jaja111

Looks damn BLEAK right thru the end of December according to IN - Accuweather today . I was just checking for our region in extreme upstate New York along the Canadian border -- only 2.8 inches PREDICTED from now thru 12/31/11 -- depressing .

I 've got my whole family and all my grandkids coming for the holidays and we always ski that week but it's looking like NOT THIS YEAR

Come down to Bristol. They have one trail open. Full price tickets too. :(

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I remember going to killington every year for winter break and I remember almost all the trails being open... But I did 90 percent of my skiing at killington

That's really the exception, not the rule. My experience suggests that they try to get as much as possible and probably get to about 60-80%. The steeper stuff is usually not ready. Fuggitabout the woods, which I usually do until mid-Jan depend on the storms.

Winn has a better NVT forecast on snowforecast.com than he lets onto here:
Friday - Snow Potential
An additional coating to a few inches possible (generally 1-4")
sunday A coating to an inch possible overnight

And it will stay below freezing for the duration.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
If you look at these "bad" winters, you'll see that in all cases, things get rocking after xmas, for the most part.

gendateplot.php3

gendateplot.php3

gendateplot.php3

gendateplot.php3

gendateplot.php3

gendateplot.php3

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I remember going to killington every year for winter break and I remember almost all the trails being open... But I did 90 percent of my skiing at killington
What are you on? It is a rare exception that any major ski area is close to 100% by the winter break and Christmas. The rain has effected your memory, me thinks.... ;)

jaja111

It easily exceeded 3/4 inch of rain here(I was going to say the customary "nair", but is Ullr even listening this month? - no. He's on a beach in Playa Del Carmen slamming dos equis and slurring out "stay thirsty my friends" to every euro trash hoochie that walks by looking for an open lounge chair with a parasol). With temps in the upper 50's I was expecting to hear thunder at some point.

aaronbru

1) Denial

I'll ski it if they let me, and pretend the conditions are awesome too!

Until I look at the bottoms of my new skis! (but I just won't look)