• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saab going out of business?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/21/9586225-a-sad-end-to-saabs-story

That sucks. I've been driving for Saabs for about 10 years now, love the cars. Fun, refined, spirited drive. Turbo always a blast. And I've always thought good looking, even in the hatchback days.

:sadwalk:

Sucks if you just bought one as well - they are apparently suspending warranty service.

Although... possibly some great deals on Saabs.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Example:

2011 9-5 AERO V6 300 HP WAS $51385.00 NOW $35385.00

2011 9-5 PREMIUM TECH PACKAGE WAS $46655.00 NOW $30655.00

2011 9-3 XWD, BOSE, AND MOONROOF WAS $36805.00 NOW $22805.00

2011 9-3 BOSE, HEATED SEATS, MOONROOF WAS $35215.00 NOW $21215.00

2011 9-3 STANDARD MODEL FWD WAS $32375.00 NOW $18375.00

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'm still driving my 2003 9-3 Vector... the top model with the tighter suspension, 17" wheels, love that car. It has 170k on it though now and it's starting to get wonky

Glenn

Bummer to see them go under. It looked like they had a fe shots of coming back, but it never panned out.

Here's an odd view. In way, it's good for the reputation. The company wasn't bought out and made into something very unSaabish.

wa-loaf

It's GMs fault they are going out of business. Seems they are using some proprietary technology that belongs to GM and GM won't let it get sold to China and the Chinese are the only folks interested in buying the brand.

HD333

I have had an on again off again love affair with SAABS, owned 5 ranging from late 80's 900 hatchback to a more recent 9-5 wagon with a few 9-3's thrown in for good measure. Most have ended badly with my wallet and bank account lighter as a result.
When they are running well they are great, gotta love that turbo spooling up, when they are not they are a nightmare.
Maybe SAAB fading away into the sunset is a good thing as I won't be tempted again.

Warp Daddy

Argghhh !!! Love my 2007 9.3 Sport combi white leather Blue outside 33k , gets mid 30's on the road . Had a "03 9.3 and a "92 900 turbo great cars.

Ill keep my 07 -- b damned if i'll trade it for the 12.6 they'll give me

Farking GM ------------------they suck , it'll B a cold day in hell b 4 i ever buy a GM product after they screwed this deal up

〽❄❅

I had a SAAB, soobed all the way to the bank with it!
Repair bills were ridiculous, but other then that i liked it. Easy to see why people either loved or hated them. It really had a nice solid ride. No problem with front wheel drive torque steer. Seats had nice comfortable flat backs, none of those irritating lumbar humps that designers think we need which make me squirm and want to get the heck out of the car within the first five minutes of travel. Would've bought another if i didn't get reamed every time it required servicing. It's a shame GM couldn't turn things around for Saab.

Glenn

Rag on GM all you guys want. However, if it wasn't for them, this thread would have been created years ago. GM's infusion of cash kept Saab going. Without GM, Saab would have shut its doors somewhere between 1990 and 2000.

ctenidae

No doubt, GM was both the savior and the destroyer of Saab. Too bad, really- such an iconic brand for so long. Question is, who owns the name now, and how long before they resurrect it, out from under all the old debts and obligations?

mlctvt

it's a shame really.
I just watched an episode of "Wheeler Dealers". They bought a nice 2002 Saab 9-3 Turbo Convertible. I always liked those cars but never owned one.

My boss has been driving Saabs for the last 20 years. He's gotten at least 250,000 miles out of each of them. The last one he just donated that was still runnign fine had just shy of 400,000 miles on it with many original parts like the turbo, exhaust and clutch.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Sucks if you just bought one as well - they are apparently suspending warranty service.

Although... possibly some great deals on Saabs.
Saab has been on the hook for two years now. Anyone who bought a Saab these past two years was rolling the dice big time on the company staying in business. Surprised they lasted this long.

Even a good deal on a Saab would likely still be over priced. When I was car shopping, I dismissed them out of hand for price to value. They are very expensive cars and the expense is lifelong due to lack of fuel efficiency. I doubt the repairs are cheap either.

xwhaler

we recently bought a new 2012 Kia Sorento. If I could have found a 9-4X for a killer deal I'd think long and hard about it.