• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Mountain, NH 1/5/2012

jrskibum

Date(s) Skied: 01/ 5/ 2012
Resort or Ski Area: Cannon Mountain, NH

Conditions: Loose granular, man made,

Trip Report: Visited Cannon Mountain on January 5, 2012. The temperatures were between 20 and 25 all day long. Cloudy all day with snow showers in and out all day. Crowds were thin so there was not waiting in line at any time during the day. There is about 3 inches of snow in the woods at Cannon but 10 miles south of this there is nothing. Most of the blue squares under The Peabody Express quad ( services the lower half of the mountain) were open and the sking on them was very good. A loose granular surface that was easy to make turns in. The trails in this area are in pretty good shape and there are a lot of great cruser runs here.
The Cannnonball lift from mid mountain to the top was in a cloud cover all day along with fluries in the clouds. The visibility as expected was low and the top had more had hard spots and ice along with the loose granular so sking was a little more work here than on the lower half. On the upper half Cannon had the snow guns going on Skylight and Upper Ravine so those should be open shortly.
The suprise of the trip was to discover the Zoomer lift line was open an serviced the black diamonds in this area. The conditions here were remarkable considering the steepness of the terain. The mongals (I only ski the easier outer edge) were in good shape.
Tickets on Tuesday and Thursday are two for one so for 34 dollars this was a steal!!! Having skied three New Hampshire loaction in the last week Cannon seems to be have the most terain open and is in really good shape at this time.

jrskibum

Abubob Waterville on 12/26, Wildcat on 12/27 and Loon on 12/22. Loon and Waterville's trails were in good shape when I visited them. I heard an ad on the radio today that all of the lifts were running at Waterville. Wildcat only had 1 1/2 trails open the day I was there. Two top trails into 1 bottom trail