• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay and Stowe?

Huck_It_Baby

Stowe is reporting 70+ trails open and Jay announced the opening of a few glades!

Could winter be actually showing up in the North?

Anyone been up there to confirm that things are looking better?

Is there snow down to Rt. 242?

luvinjaycloud

Jay Sunday Jan. 8

Skied Buckaroo Bonzai which was opened and I'd say it needs at least another 6 inches to make it worth the woods trip. Still a lot stuff sticking through the base. Timbuktu was suprisingly well covered and has much more powder in it, but the crusty layer below it made for a few teeth chattering turns. didn't bother spending much time in there.

couple of natural snow trails are taking shape and skied Ok (Kitz, Derricks), but again will be much better once they get a real dumping.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Stowe is reporting 70+ trails open and Jay announced the opening of a few glades!

Could winter be actually showing up in the North?

Anyone been up there to confirm that things are looking better?

Is there snow down to Rt. 242?

Stowe, 1/6/11
It's more like 40 trails. They are pumping out snowmaking 7x24, pretty impressive. That's where most if it came from. Only a couple

Some blacks are open. Most blue trails skied well, with good ability to ski around.
Stowe and Smuggs (1/7) both reported one glad open. They are quite sketchy, bottom-reaching. Not ready for prime time. The 1-2" of daily blower pow just gets torn up quickly. An hour of rain on Saturday afternoon will make for interesting boarding. Stowe chops it up quite well, but a lot of traffic will make it, well, get out early on the weekend.

Naturals are fun, if you don't mind some grass and these little hard things popping up here and there. At smuggs, it was a surprise to find exposed water bars on the blue trails. Sometimes I won, sometimes I lost. Set your expectations, maybe bring some rock skis if you wan to go on the naturals and you can enjoy yourself.

The mountain tops are a winter wonderland of caked on snow to trees. A careful examination finds a lot of icicles on all the tree puffs.

Can't speak for Jay, anectodal first-hand info says it's "pretty good". I did not receive any further details.

40Berg

Stowe surpassed our expectations on Friday and Saturday, despite having only 40% or so of the trails open. They seemed to enjoy about an inch or two of the natural stuff overnight for much of last week, so we got to enjoy some fresh, untouched snow on our way down.

I did catch ice on some of the blues on Mt. Mansfield - I swore off Perry Merill after a sketchy run - but, overall, it was worth the trip. It did rain there on Saturday, however, so I'm not sure how that changed skiing conditions.

Huck_It_Baby

Skied Buckaroo Bonzai which was opened and I'd say it needs at least another 6 inches to make it worth the woods trip. Still a lot stuff sticking through the base. Timbuktu was suprisingly well covered and has much more powder in it, but the crusty layer below it made for a few teeth chattering turns. didn't bother spending much time in there.

couple of natural snow trails are taking shape and skied Ok (Kitz, Derricks), but again will be much better once they get a real dumping.

This helps a ton Luvin, thank you!

Do you live in the area?

Is there snow down to the dip parking lot on 242?

BenedictGomez

I did catch ice on some of the blues on Mt. Mansfield - I swore off Perry Merill after a sketchy run - but, overall, it was worth the trip. It did rain there on Saturday, however, so I'm not sure how that changed skiing conditions.

If Perry Merrill is "sketchy", that should tell folks all they need to know. Though that was 3 days ago, and every day with 24/7 snowmaking temps must be doing wonders.

KevinF

Stowe surpassed our expectations on Friday and Saturday, despite having only 40% or so of the trails open. They seemed to enjoy about an inch or two of the natural stuff overnight for much of last week, so we got to enjoy some fresh, untouched snow on our way down.

I was up at Stowe on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was a soft snow day, with warm temps, some rain, some new snow, etc. Sunday was cold, so it was pretty "firm" everywhere. Snowguns were blasting on Centerline, so the bumps there were soft. Hayride should be opening with snow whales sometime soon.

I didn't ski Liftline or National on Sunday, but from the lift, they sounded and looked awfully solid.

The stuff on the Gondi side was actually skiing pretty well on Sunday.

As was said above, there's a bunch of natural-snow only trails open -- i.e., Chin Clip, Cliff Trail, Gulch, Lord Loop, Switchback, Smugglers (or whatever it's called off the top of Spruce), etc. They're skiing ok, but your edges will get dinged up a bit. I didn't hit anything really hard though.

win

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Give us a try! We are at 60 trails and good snowmaking this week on RIpcord and Upper Organgrinder. Looks like snow if coming too!

luvinjaycloud

Jay and the Dip

I didn't venture out to the dip this past weekend (i am a weekender). I don't think the steeps near the road are anywhere close to being skied yet. In time......

Huck_It_Baby

I didn't venture out to the dip this past weekend (i am a weekender). I don't think the steeps near the road are anywhere close to being skied yet. In time......

I appreciate the report, thanks!

Perhaps after this Thursday/Friday storm things will be good.

ScottySkis

Sugarbush, Stowe, Jay their all great i wish i was closer to north VT but my march trip will be to one of those for sure

JPTracker

The woods at Jay are starting to become skiable. Skied Valalha, Kitz Wood, Timbuktu, and the bottom of Deliverance today and all were nice runs. Canyon Land not ready yet.

vandi518

The woods at Jay are starting to become skiable. Skied Valalha, Kitz Wood, Timbuktu, and the bottom of Deliverance today and all were nice runs. Canyon Land not ready yet.

Thanks for the report JP. Debating between Jay and Smuggs tomorrow and wasn't sure if the glades were quite ready. Hopefully Thursday>Friday delivers enough to bring everything in.