more russians?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more russians?

more russians?

i went to hunter yesterday and i heard a lot of russian being spoken on the lift, in the lodge and on trails. didn't think too much at the time, but around christmas the same thing happened at pico. i hear all kinds of languages being spoken all the time, but this time i thought was noticeable. anyone have similar experience? on the way home, i thought may be because the next olympics is in sochi, russia more russian americans are hitting the slopes? just curious.....

gladerider

^ There are TONS of Russians and Ukrainians in NYC, specifically the Brighton Beach and Coney Island area.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

NYC has a HUGE Russian population, and Boston's isn't insignificant either. If you expand it to people speaking languages that sound pretty much the same to the average American's ear (like most of the other Slavic languages) it's even larger.

They've always been skiers. As a guess, if there is a noticeable change, it would probably just be that someone is probably running a tour bus from a heavily Russian area of NYC that showed up where you were skiing that day.

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    NYC has a HUGE Russian population, and Boston's isn't insignificant either. If you expand it to people speaking languages that sound pretty much the same to the average American's ear (like most of the other Slavic languages) it's even larger.

They've always been skiers. As a guess, if there is a noticeable change, it would probably just be that someone is probably running a tour bus from a heavily Russian area of NYC that showed up where you were skiing that day.
    Ah, that makes sense. thanx.

Were they wearing Bogner one-pieces? That's how you know they're Russian.

I love a good White Russian.
    I lift things up and put them down.

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post

Plenty of Russians up in the Pocono's. They are a huge portion of the seasonal (mostly summer) rentals in the community where my wife's family has a house but they are around in the winter too. We are friends with a Russian couple who state (with a great Russian accent) that they love to find a place and take it over. Only problem I've ever had with them is getting tennis court time (they love tennis). Lots of Koreans there too. We call it the Asian Invasion.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by 4aprice View Post
    We call it the Asian Invasion.
    haha, how fitting...more skier the better for the overall industry especially this year I guess

Quote Originally Posted by 4aprice View Post
    We call it the Asian Invasion.
    It took me a little while to figure out the Russian Asian connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Phantom View Post
    I love a good White Russian.
    Black Russians are good too....but they are rare.

Thread Information