• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/12 Storm Discussion Thread

hammer

Thanks River. I don't mean to come off crabby but I'm worried about a big time bust on this--plus the coffee is wearing off already.
What's the confidence of a pattern shift with this storm? Seems like many are getting excited about the potential for a few inches of snow but what I really want to see is an end to the persistent above-average temps...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
6a00d83451c01c69e20168e5540fa7970c-800wi

Source

WinnChill

What's the confidence of a pattern shift with this storm? Seems like many are getting excited about the potential for a few inches of snow but what I really want to see is an end to the persistent above-average temps...

Confidence in the storm is one thing--so far, confidence in accumulations will usually be low with any kind of mixing event such as Thursday....we're confident mixing will occur, but to what degree is questionable which affects accumulations dramatically.

Then there's the overall pattern shift. We're gradually working into a more favorable pattern as far as temps are concerned--temps should stabilize and stay seasonably cold the rest of this month. Storm tracks could be better--still somewhat through the region rather than curling just south of the region--still some mixing events possible but should be minimized. Hope that helps.

hammer

Confidence in the storm is one thing--so far, confidence in accumulations will usually be low with any kind of mixing event such as Thursday....we're confident mixing will occur, but to what degree is questionable which affects accumulations dramatically.

Then there's the overall pattern shift. We're gradually working into a more favorable pattern as far as temps are concerned--temps should stabilize and stay seasonably cold the rest of this month. Storm tracks could be better--still somewhat through the region rather than curling just south of the region--still some mixing events possible but should be minimized. Hope that helps.
That would be good...hopefully we will avoid a "January thaw" this year.

gladerider

Heading up to Whiteface for the weekend Friday evening. What do you think will happen in the Northern ADK? Thanx.

WinnChill

Heading up to Whiteface for the weekend Friday evening. What do you think will happen in the Northern ADK? Thanx.

Rough estimate for now (gotta head out for a bit)--less precip but further away from mixing Thurs--prob a few inches. Friday another few inches possible...so ballparking about half a foot total. I'll check back later after looking into it a bit more.

BenedictGomez

How about quit making all forecasters out to be a bunch of idiots.

Good grief, chill out (no pun intended) for heaven sake . No one's making "all forecasters out to be a bunch of idiots".

And of course, no one remembers when you are right +90% of the time either.

Well if I'm admittedly guilty of hyperbole, that's exaggeration there as well. The science of weather prediction isn't to the point where they're even anywhere near close to getting "90%" of these storm events right. And if there's a subportion of the population that's keenly aware of this fact, it's skiers/boarders.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Good grief, chill out (no pun intended) for heaven sake . No one's making "all forecasters out to be a bunch of idiots".

Well if I'm admittedly guilty of hyperbole, that's exaggeration there as well. The science of weather prediction isn't to the point where they're even anywhere near close to getting "90%" of these storm events right. And if there's a subportion of the population that's keenly aware of this fact, it's skiers/boarders.

Just gimmie the #@$%#^&^*^&* snow!:snow::snow:
anywhere, any timer

Glenn

A bit of snow before a holiday weekend would be pefect for a lot of areas. I hope it happens!

ScottySkis

Me either. How about quit making all forecasters out to be a bunch of idiots. If it was as easy as looking at a single index--like an NAO as your signature suggests--everyone could do it. It's a very difficult forecast--we're trying.
I watch these weather guys are great. At predictions for us and Mr winn has helped me have some great powder days for sure

gladerider

Rough estimate for now (gotta head out for a bit)--less precip but further away from mixing Thurs--prob a few inches. Friday another few inches possible...so ballparking about half a foot total. I'll check back later after looking into it a bit more.

thanks winnchill

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Reporting in from base camp Lyndon. Motels are booked solid with skiers. Maybe 1" snow on Terra firma presently. C
ie

Alien convoys of Electric. Recovery vehicles hdeuce trucks have been identified by our forward spotters. Pre positioning for operation Snowbound beginning at 0900
double assault fire arms loaded and ready. Hill 21 (known locally as Burke Mtn) is the primary objective.
Sgt. Landslide reporting 2009 hours

Sgt.