• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/12 Storm Discussion Thread

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
snow has gotten a lot heavier now. Now, if could only cancel this afternoon's meetings. I don't think an inch or two will make too much diff in ski-ability . I will get a sail and get out first thing Friday.

BenedictGomez

too bad your like their maybe afternoon

I tried using Google Translate, but it didnt help me with this.

Check out Jay Peak's forecast winds for later this afternoon! :popcorn:

I'm more worried about winds this weekend, as in, are they going to make skiing un-fun? There were some calling for 30+mph for N.VT as of yesterday (havent looked today). :sadwalk:

John W

Bgomez - Just bundle up and cover up.. You will be fine... Skiing in the wind completely covered would be more fun then I am going to have at my sister in law's 30th bday which I am unfortunately not being allowed to miss!!!!!

BenedictGomez

Plattkill got 3 inches all snow

Stratton is reporting 6 inches already!

And Jay Peak is still claiming, "Forecasters calling for a minimum of a foot by Saturday am-possibility of more is a probability", though I'm wondering if perhaps they're not being a bit optimistic? Other than the guy the Weathering Heights guy they use for their webpage, I cant find 1 foot+ predictions for Jay (perhaps I'm just missing them).

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Stratton is reporting 6 inches already!

And Jay Peak is still claiming, "Forecasters calling for a minimum of a foot by Saturday am-possibility of more is a probability", though I'm wondering if perhaps they're not being a bit optimistic? Other than the guy the Weathering Heights guy they use for their webpage, I cant find 1 foot+ predictions for Jay (perhaps I'm just missing them).

will be interesting to see how elevevations handle the drizz tomorrow and 2night

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I got here last night to beat the transition zone. Unfortunately for me, I've had to work, serious work all day. I'll go over to Tamamrak (?) tonight and ski/partee on Friday. Lots of blower pow, abouy 4" today, I sadlyu missed.

psyflyer

Rode burke all day. 6 inches at least throughout the day. Rode many.glades and unmarked. Some sketchiness but overall a mini POW day. Real fun.

BenedictGomez

will be interesting to see how elevevations handle the drizz tomorrow and 2night

Rain is a 4-letter word. Hopefully it stays cold enough.

Rode burke all day. 6 inches at least throughout the day. Rode many.glades and unmarked. Some sketchiness but overall a mini POW day. Real fun.

Yay, love to hear the 1st-hand reports. :spread:

BenedictGomez

An update from the single chair guy, he's still extremely optimistic this could be a decently big one in the C.VT when all's-said-and-done.

Snow should continue through much of the day and could at times become heavy during the evening Friday. 6-12 inches of powder Friday and Friday night is a conservative estimate. I would not at all be surprised if we outperform. A lot of the NWS forecasts will be tailored to valley locations where accumulations will be substantially less. Right now for instance the NWS forecast for Washington County says 1-3 Friday with an 80 percent chance of snow Friday night.

Snow showers should continue into Saturday but it will be cold and windy. Wind should taper off somewhat Sunday and completely by Monday although temperatures will be wintry dropping well below zero overnight and only rising into the teens during the day.

http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/

Though the Weathering Heights guy is backing off his totals for N.VT, saying C.VT and S.VT will pick up more.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hard to say what Gunstock got today with the way the wind was whipping. 5-6" I'd guess with some very nice drifting on Redhat and Cannonball. Not a deep day by any means, but certainly a powder day and a lot of fun.

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
6 to 8 inches at Okemo today. Horribly windy at the top, but once you got out of the wind, some terrific skiing. Especially since it was pretty empty.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Haha - I think it was Billski that was talking about winds...I'm on the western side of the Greens and where already starting to get down-sloping wind gusts off the mountains. Check out the Mountain forecast from my website here - Check out Jay Peak's forecast winds for later this afternoon! :popcorn:

http://www.nekweather.net/wxMountainfcst.php

Great site used it a few times today. Thanks!