• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/12 Storm Discussion Thread

gladerider

can anyone in whiteface/lake placid area share how much accumulation you got so far?

WinnChill

Anybody care to guess whether the roads will be in bad shape I-91 north of the split (with 89)?

Mixed showers have been brief and light so far but the fun is pivoting into SVT right now--expecting some bursts of mixed showers to snow squalls to liven things up. I'm sure DOT road crews have been able stay ahead of shower activity this morning but heavier showers/squalls this afternoon could be overwhelming in many spots. We'll see.

WinnChill

Winn, what's the time frame of the heavy squalls? Late afternoon/early evening? Or late into the night?

They're moving in across SVT right now and will be pivoting north and eastward the rest of this afternoon/evening. Even though this 2nd round isn't grabbing headlines, these showers/squalls may have some kick.

UVSHTSTRM

Anybody care to guess whether the roads will be in bad shape I-91 north of the split (with 89)?

My wife travels N-91 to S-89 everyday and today was no different. We got some freezing rain/sleet etc over night and had a glaze on everything, but the roads were treated early and often and she said the roads were just wet, nothing major.

WinnChill

Snow is good, i don't think vt does remove snow as good as they use to on I89

Does VT brine their Interstates or do they stick with plow-and-sand? NH DOT still tries to brine parts of theirs but that requires a lot of lead time. It was likely appropriate for last night's/this mornings showers--we'll see how it holds up today.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Roads are fine. Just watch for black ice after sundown.
We have everything this am. Sno hail moderated rain all changing every 15. Mins.
Clear at base clouded at summit -heavy. Temps 32. All day. Winds calm. Best trails are ungroomed and woods.
Groomed trails arre hardpack with crust of ice. I might as well fall on concrete.
Having fun. Club paetee at four.